Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859211 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8580 on: January 30, 2021, 07:00:11 am »

I'm trying to fight the need for physical human contact, it's been weeks since I hugged someone or so much as touched hands with another.
Weeks? You spoiled brat. I haven't touched a human being for 11 months now. Not even my mother.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8581 on: January 30, 2021, 07:23:17 am »

What is this 'human contact' you speak of?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8582 on: January 30, 2021, 08:30:27 am »

Don't really get mosquitos here, though they are moving further north each year ._. evil

Putting firewood in the wood shed is a summer activity surely, otherwise no time for it to dry out :P
Not many mosquitoes here either, thank god, although you can acquire numerous mysterious itches if you go outside at night. The flies on the other hand will never leave you alone unless you kill them.

Wet firewood sounds like a Northern Hemisphere thing which I'm glad for. With the lack of snow dad just chainsaws some wood whenever it starts getting cold and we haul it over.

On the topic of weather, temperatures here are bothering me a bit. Daytime is typically warm to uncomfortably warm however at nighttime it gets cold enough to make me start feeling like it's winter. I do not like this. Sadly this is probably an insulation problem, so not much will change about that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8583 on: January 30, 2021, 08:49:18 am »

wrong'un. everything about that, wrong.

edit: GREEN smells? the only smell in winter is frost. :(

You see, when you call it "ice rain", I'm imagining solid spikes of ice friggin' raining down from the heavens, ready to impale whoever is foolish enough to not seek shelter. In which case, I would not like the season with ice rain, because that's just terrifying.

you may enjoy australian hailstorms.

Hail storms aside, if you live in snow country you literally have to watch out for ice spikes falling from the roofs and edges of buildings during winters. Icicles can be deadly.

Don't really get mosquitos here, though they are moving further north each year ._. evil

In Sweden the north is where all the mosquitoes hang out already
Love, scriver~

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8584 on: January 30, 2021, 09:39:14 am »

The forum's broken-as-hell indexing still bothers me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8585 on: January 30, 2021, 10:47:37 am »

What is this 'human contact' you speak of?

It's a magic thing other people get.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8586 on: January 30, 2021, 11:18:07 am »

I'm not yet at the point where I start hugging and licking random strangers in the supermarket, but this whole lockdown, no physical contact thing is starting to get to me.

Having 5 cats helps, though.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8587 on: January 30, 2021, 06:56:51 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:32:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8588 on: January 30, 2021, 07:00:59 pm »

House person actually went through with getting a puppy. It's, well. It's not great. No one in this house really has it in them to properly care for or train a puppy. The three of us together, don't. It's already starting to be a problem (it's showing signs of having started to learn to piss and shit on the carpet instead of, y'know. Not that.), and it's going to only get worse 'cause it's a young pit bull breed, i.e. not going to be small, is going to be heavy and strong (which I can mostly deal with, but no one else in the house can). Just... bloody hell.

Pretty sure I'm going to nickname it Bi (said bee) as short for Bad Idea :-\

Yeah, puppies can be a handful. See if you can get some puppy pads. They're pretty much big flat thin diapers that smell like something the puppy is supposed to want to pee/poop on. Put one by the door (to associate going out with the door). If someone sees the puppy sniffing around there, get it outside right away and reward it for peeing/pooping outside when it does. Try not to act too angry (more disappointed) when it goes inside, especially if you don't catch it doing it.

I also had difficulty with mine where she was (and is) very fast. By the time I realized she was walking towards the door and stood up, it was already too late. I got her a small cheap windchime from the local drug store's "cheap junk" section, hung it by the back door, waited until she got curious (about 2 seconds), pushed her into it, and took her outside. We played a bit, and when we went back in, I waited until she was near it again, pushed her into it again, and took her out again. Waited one we got back in again, and took her out about 10 minutes later when she tried making noise with it again. Sometimes she would hit it just to make me come running, or because she wanted to play outside, but it was much better than cleaning up the carpet before.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8589 on: January 30, 2021, 07:47:22 pm »

We actually have puppy pads already; they work better than most products made for people when it comes to incontinent old folks and seating, and especially at a lower cost point, so we keep a stock around. Same for urine cleaning sprays, for that matter. If you're dealing with piss, go pet products. Pro-tip if you ever end up caring for elderly, that. It's... probably a bit demeaning, at the end of the day, but if they're past the point of being able to notice or care, well. It works.

Fairly moot, though; the puppy's owner has foisted the thing off on a neighbor already (which, like. Is its own source of bleh considering the person in question's gone through two dogs in as many years, but... it's at least not my problem anymore, I guess) after a day or three and it sinking in for said owner the last time they raised a puppy was multiple decades ago, literally longer than I've been alive.

I'm pretty aware of what it takes to train and care for a puppy, though. Knowledge wasn't an issue, just... health, basically. Of the folks involved. None of us are really able to be consistently active enough to care for one properly, not on top of everything else, and we weren't particularly able to pool effort well enough to make up for it. Dementia and puppy care mixes like dogshit on carpet :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:51:28 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8590 on: January 31, 2021, 05:58:27 am »

I'm trying to fight the need for physical human contact, it's been weeks since I hugged someone or so much as touched hands with another.
Who needs physical human contact when you have....         something else?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8591 on: January 31, 2021, 06:00:44 am »

A spiritual connection to the divine?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8592 on: January 31, 2021, 06:10:06 am »

Try not to act too angry (more disappointed) when it goes inside, especially if you don't catch it doing it.
Getting angry with a dog is often counterproductive.  You might see it as punishment, a dog sees it as 'I am getting attention', which for a dog is a reward. Correcting when you catch them in the act of doing something nasty can be best done with a single, stern "NO!", after which you ignore your dog for half an hour (lock it in the hallway if you must), then it feels it has done something wrong, because it's not getting attention.

Rewarding good behaviour is at least 10 times as effective

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8593 on: January 31, 2021, 07:34:34 am »

*sigh* - rage quit OTTD because I messed up a junction. Hadn't saved in a few hours, and immediately after quitting I found a solution.
This is a blank sig.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8594 on: January 31, 2021, 09:24:05 am »

Ugh, NZXT situation involving its H1 PC case is just getting worse. For context, Gamers Nexus just published a video on this topic, they've put a TL;DR near the start, so it's not the full 30 minutes, the back end is just proving the fire hazard problem even after the recall and fix. But enough context.

How the fuck can NZXT be so negligent!? They have a problem that can legitimately cause house fires (which can ruin or severely worsen lives), and they fucking have the audacity to keep memeing like there's nothing fucking wrong?! Just, why? It's a chronic problem with them; you come to them with a legit complaint, and they fucking tell you shit like "just yank hard". It's okay to be memey, but it is completely wrong to keep joking while your customers are having actual problems with your products. And when they do this, in the face of something that could ruin their reputation... get the fuck out of here.

2021 isn't looking to be a good year so far. First, 2020's stock shortages carry over and render even GTX 1050s out of stock, now, NZXT's doing slimy things, just like Nvidia and MSI last year. Can't have a year without companies displaying and being called out on their shitty behavior, it seems. Damn.

Edit: For anyone with an NZXT case, this only affects the H1. Other cases aren't affected. It's just that their behavior sets a bad precedent for what they might do later on.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:26:43 am by methylatedspirit »
Pages: 1 ... 571 572 [573] 574 575 ... 779