Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 858911 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread
« Reply #5190 on: January 22, 2019, 04:51:28 am »

I was supposed to do something constructive today, like head out to the fountain house and idle around in discomfort... But apparently, house bedtime is 2 AM nowadays and nobody sent me the memo.

I have absolutely no idea how she possibly functions with roughly 4 hours of sleep a night, but she seems determined to maintain the trend despite her waxing wistful about proper sleep schedules.

Maybe it's because those 4 hours are actually 4 hours, whereas I wake up several times a night to deal with the dogs or reposition after having the comforter ripped off my legs.

EDIT: Just impulse-bought a pair of scissors and a comb from a gentlemen's grooming site. I still need to actually put in the time and effort to use the damn things when they get here, not to mention learning how to do so properly, but it's a start. It's strange to think of how taxing an experience that was, and I don't mean the import duties.

Some of the reviews on that site were pretty funny, too... Most were just the extremely minimalist "It's good/sharp", including a fair few single-word reviews, but then I came across a "I have never gotten laid as much as I have since styling my beard with this kit. Recommended".

I didn't purchase that kit because the comb was a little wonky so you're effectively just paying $75 for a pair of scissors, but it's good to know that people are properly testing the equipment.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5191 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:43 am »

Sometimes I wish I could do away with the necessity of interacting with strangers at all. And the necessity of spending most of my time sitting down to do things I'm good at. I'm just weirdly stressed right now because of those two, I think.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: January 22, 2019, 05:44:06 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:42:09 pm by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: January 22, 2019, 02:58:16 pm »

What an awful night. I eventually managed to calm down and get to sleep via liberal application of music. I only got one or two hours' worth of sleep, though, and now I have dragged myself out of bed sometime after my alarms went off and am eating some rather bland cereal whilst trying to work up the nerve to push through another day at work with (almost) no sleep.

I can hardly bear the thought of the cheerful people who will probably be there. I had a hard enough time interacting with such last time as I trudged through the day. This, of course, just goes to feed my anxiety still further because I'm doing an even less believable impression of normalcy than I can usually manage. Yikes.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: January 22, 2019, 09:06:43 pm »

I sleep around 3-5 hours a night, broken up into a 2-3 hour block then another block of however long until 4am.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: January 23, 2019, 07:04:56 am »

Aw jeez, I forgot to do the laundry.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: January 23, 2019, 12:04:39 pm »

Got any sick days that they won't be pissed at you for taking, Yoink? A mental health day is just as important and actual physical illness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: January 23, 2019, 12:12:21 pm »

My GF's workplace offers an unofficial bonus for going the whole year without using any sick days. If I remember correctly, 0 sick days means a lump sum bonus of a little over a month's wages. 1 sick day halves that, 2 sick days is a pittance, and 3 or more is no bonus.

Don't quite know how I feel about that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: January 23, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »

That's fucking awful, that's how I feel about that.
Love, scriver~

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: January 23, 2019, 12:38:04 pm »

Treatment is almost over and I'm going back to work. I feel like I could go back to sleep for another ten hours. At least it'll be nice to have my own money again, however little that is.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:23 pm »

I dunno. It's incentive not to lie - which is good. It gives the employees money which they wouldn't have had otherwise, and a not inconsiderable amount at that - which is good.

It might encourage people to go in sick when they shouldn't, thoigh personally I feel it would just encourage me not to pull a sicky. Anyway, that's not good.

The employer is manipulating staff - though again, only as far as the staff agrees to be manipulated, given that they wouldn't be getting the money otherwise. Still, that's not good.

Really, I balance it as "not bad, but not very good either.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: January 23, 2019, 12:58:05 pm »

I dunno. It's incentive not to lie - which is good. It gives the employees money which they wouldn't have had otherwise, and a not inconsiderable amount at that - which is good.

It might encourage people to go in sick when they shouldn't, thoigh personally I feel it would just encourage me not to pull a sicky. Anyway, that's not good.

The employer is manipulating staff - though again, only as far as the staff agrees to be manipulated, given that they wouldn't be getting the money otherwise. Still, that's not good.

How many people are able to get this bonus? I'd imagine not very many, given it's so generous. For those that must call in sick days, all it does is damage morale, cause not only are they sick, but now they've lost their bonus as well.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: January 23, 2019, 01:15:57 pm »

It means they value profit over the health of their employees.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: January 23, 2019, 01:22:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 12:42:04 pm by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:39 pm »

How many people are able to get this bonus? I'd imagine not very many, given it's so generous. For those that must call in sick days, all it does is damage morale, cause not only are they sick, but now they've lost their bonus as well.
Everyone working in the administrative side of the bakery, I don't think it applies to the bake staff and drivers as well, but I'm not sure. They've apparently seen a significant reduction in sick day usage, so they probably get by with having fewer people to cover shifts, hehehe...

Everything else about the job sounds rather nice, actually. The owners are friendly and actively involved in the workplace, they're not sticklers about paying overtime (which is good because GF is racking up overtime almost every day), and it seems to be a good (if fairly high-octane) work environment there.

That bonus thing just... Sits a bit poorly with me. There was a gal working there last year who had some sort of dehydration blackout and ended up cracking her head on a tile floor. Got rushed to the hospital and woke up later that evening with no recollection of the event. Dunno if she got the bonus, or if that counts as using sickdays.

See, I'm also a little uncertain as to what kind of sickdays is actually being talked about here... If it includes leave-with-documentation, that's pretty horrendous. But there are also a number of "free disposition days" where you don't need to inform the company ahead of time, and so long as you don't use 3 in a row or a certain number a month (forget the exact number, think it's 5-6 or something) then it's fine. More than that, and you'll need to talk with a doctor and an HR rep.

The free disposition days are what get used up when you wake up with a cough and a sore throat, or a pounding headache, and call in sick for that day... And that might be the kind of sickday they're offering the bonus for avoiding.

I really don't know the details though, so it's hard to say.
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 779