Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859058 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly sad today thread: remove burrito edition
« Reply #4650 on: October 17, 2018, 06:46:12 pm »

Alacrity

I had to look this up and I'm not embarrassed about that. I don't think I've heard a single person use the word Alacrity in my entire life*.

* Apparently because I'm not on top of my Shakespeare.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: October 17, 2018, 06:49:09 pm »

Really? It's not hugely common, but I've grown up with people telling me to do something "with alacrity."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: October 17, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »

I think I learned the word from a Star Wars game.

But yeah, I don’t hear it much, unless I use it myself.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: October 17, 2018, 07:05:14 pm »

I know it and what it means, but I'm pretty sure I would pronounce it wrong if I tried to say it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: October 17, 2018, 08:22:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure she just had a bad day. I don't think the coat hanger had anything to do with it. When you get stressed out, the tiniest things can piss you off. At the bare minimum, I'd say not to let it bother you, but if you want to help her with her emotional well-being you can try asking her about it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: October 17, 2018, 09:23:07 pm »

Asking her about it would start a fight. It's not good advice.

This isn't an isolated incident, Kagus has indicated it's part of a recurring pattern of behavior. She's been making up spurious reasons to give Kagus shit for a while. It's not just a bad day, it's a bad attitude. Kagus just needs to brush it aside in a good-natured fashion. Sitting someone like that down and trying to have a "conversation" about the behavior, no matter how reasonably you broach the subject, is almost always a bad idea.

Talking it through with a third party involved such as a relationship counselor is a better idea, because the other person is far less likely to be able to derail the discussion with bullshit with another person listening. So rather than saying "we should talk about your behavior" saying "I think we should talk to a relationship counselor" is actually better tactic to actually get some constructive movement no matter how it ends.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:30:35 pm by Reelya »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: October 17, 2018, 10:34:10 pm »

Asking her about it would start a fight. It's not good advice.

This isn't an isolated incident, Kagus has indicated it's part of a recurring pattern of behavior. She's been making up spurious reasons to give Kagus shit for a while. It's not just a bad day, it's a bad attitude. Kagus just needs to brush it aside in a good-natured fashion. Sitting someone like that down and trying to have a "conversation" about the behavior, no matter how reasonably you broach the subject, is almost always a bad idea.

Talking it through with a third party involved such as a relationship counselor is a better idea, because the other person is far less likely to be able to derail the discussion with bullshit with another person listening. So rather than saying "we should talk about your behavior" saying "I think we should talk to a relationship counselor" is actually better tactic to actually get some constructive movement no matter how it ends.
It was just a suggestion I made using the limited information I have.

Obviously you’re not supposed to talk about the behaviour itself, the last thing she needs is to feel hostility. What I was actually advocating for was the showing of empathy. Show her that you care about her feelings. Doesn’t work for everyone of course (anyone who’s dealt with a pushy parent as a teen can attest to that), but most people don’t even consider the idea.

Anyway it doesn’t really matter any more. Based on what you said, it wasn’t going to work anyway. I just wanted you to properly understand what I was advocating for so you wouldn’t think I was an idiot.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: October 18, 2018, 12:54:45 am »

This just made me cry a bunch of tears, but I'm not sure how many of them were sad or happy tears.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: October 18, 2018, 02:16:47 am »

From how I described it, it certainly sounds like a case of something else bothering her that just spills over into other, unrelated things.

But, for what it's worth, that's not really how I experienced it. She seemed perfectly upbeat and untroubled both directly before and directly after the hanger hangup, judging from her interactions with the dogs (which have a tendency to be rather telling when she's in a foul mood).

I got home fairly late (just before 11), which I was expecting to get some flak for, as she sometimes decides to go to bed earlier than 1 AM and doesn't appreciate my being awake and disruptive to her sleep patterns on those occasions... So there might have been some of that involved, but normally that just gets directly mentioned rather than putting a shadow over something else.

It's not the first time I've been given sudden shit for having done/not having done something, and then caused a fluster by pointing out that it didn't be like it do. I've been griped at before for clogging the kitchen sink and blocking it up, after she accidentally pushed the drain toggle. Her standard apology for these cases of mistaken blame is to just never mention the incident again due to the awkwardness of having to admit an overreaction.

RE: Alacrity. I have no shame in admitting that I was introduced to the word by Baldur's Gate 2... It's a fun word.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: October 18, 2018, 02:27:27 am »

RE: Alacrity. I have no shame in admitting that I was introduced to the word by Baldur's Gate 2... It's a fun word.

I wad thinking about mentioning that it's a spell there! Since that's all i know it from too.

Still no idea what it means, though.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: October 18, 2018, 02:32:20 am »

I wad thinking about mentioning that it's a spell there! Since that's all i know it from too.

Still no idea what it means, though.
It's a synonym of haste, which is the more popular spell. So, to do something "with alacrity" means doing speed.

Gotta go fast

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: October 18, 2018, 05:19:53 am »

So, my parents were actually telling me to do speed all those years??!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: October 18, 2018, 05:31:03 am »

So, my parents were actually telling me to do speed all those years??!
The following comedic responses to this post have been prepared:
Spoiler: Minimalist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Referential (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Absurdist (click to show/hide)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: October 18, 2018, 11:13:14 am »

I'm learning to hate gill rakers.

Why do fish have them? To filter particles out and stop them getting into the gills. In ram feeders, it's to help with capture of plankton.

So why do animals that don't feed on plankton have entirely different gill rakers to one another?

Because it doesn't meaningfully impact their chances of survival and procreation.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: October 18, 2018, 11:18:46 am »

Yeah, random drift makes sense there. Is there enough sequence data to look for evidence of purifying selection?
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 779