Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 795

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1069059 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #9090 on: November 26, 2018, 04:00:44 pm »

So I guess we can expect more sanctions except the sanctions that really matters.

Would love to see some actual spine for once.  ::)
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9091 on: November 26, 2018, 06:31:15 pm »

Fook ye, finally a new european war
I don't like how the last Crimean wars have been handled nor do I like the prospect of another. Be a bit fair though if NATO confiscated Russian ships going through Bosphorous, Channel e.t.c., only fair to be consistent

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: November 26, 2018, 10:19:28 pm »

Fook ye, finally a new european war
I don't like how the last Crimean wars have been handled nor do I like the prospect of another. Be a bit fair though if NATO confiscated Russian ships going through Bosphorous, Channel e.t.c., only fair to be consistent

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War  Yes, I know you meant the Russian annexation, just being intentionally obtuse as a friendly troll :) and you said wars, so...

It would be nice if NATO actually took charge, but they’d probably be like, ‘Ukraine’s not a member, so, not our jurdicision’

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9093 on: November 26, 2018, 10:32:47 pm »

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War  Yes, I know you meant the Russian annexation, just being intentionally obtuse as a friendly troll :) and you said wars, so...

It would be nice if NATO actually took charge, but they’d probably be like, ‘Ukraine’s not a member, so, not our jurdicision’
Then why condemn with inaction? Opposition without opposition is the worst of both worlds, as you sacrifice impartiality but improve the lot of no-one

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: November 27, 2018, 12:11:32 am »

It is not about helping Ukraine. After all Ukraine has no real alliance with anyone.

But what Russia did violates basic international rules regarding freedom of navigation. Why even have international laws and treaties if they can be ignored like that?
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9095 on: November 27, 2018, 12:17:55 am »

Martial law (most likely limited to several regions, details aren't know yet and I wouldn't be surprised if Ukrainian parliament won't support it at all) isn't declaration of war.
Sorry, I didn't fully read the article, I just heard from a relative that that's what they're going to do.

But what Russia did violates basic international rules regarding freedom of navigation. Why even have international laws and treaties if they can be ignored like that?
My guess is it's precisely because of what you said -- no-one truly gives a shit about Ukraine, the international laws are just there for the big 'uns to protect themselves and NATO etc. emptily condemn the action, impose fake sanctions and so forth to give the impression that they're there for everyone's interests.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 12:24:38 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: November 27, 2018, 12:29:04 am »

Putin is testing the waters.

He knows that the world is not in any hurry to return to having a nuclear pea-shooter aimed at its head, and wants to see how far he can take the "russia as sleeping bear" routine in international politics. 

Annex crimea; World protests, but does nothing to stop the bear.
Ok, Let's stir up shit in Syria; World protests, but does not really do anything to stop the bear.
OK THEN! Let's impound ships we have no business impounding!  [Do you really expect there to be anything other than impotent outrage?]

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9097 on: November 27, 2018, 01:29:18 am »

He knows that the world is not in any hurry to return to having a nuclear pea-shooter aimed at its head, and wants to see how far he can take the "russia as sleeping bear" routine in international politics. 
IMO, possible Nuclear war has nothing to do with lack of strong reaction to Russian international policy. Money are the reason. Imposing real sanctions will seriously reduce profits of important people in the West.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: November 27, 2018, 05:50:07 am »

Latest polls showed that if  there were elections now, only 47% of Russians would vote for Putin, compared to the 77% he got re-elected with 7 months ago.
Russian intervention in Syria didn't get him as much credit as he had hoped.
So I guess what's happening now is just Putin trying to shift attention away from domestic issues.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9099 on: November 27, 2018, 09:18:07 am »

Putin is testing the waters.
Annex crimea; World protests, but does nothing to stop the bear.
Ok, Let's stir up shit in Syria; World protests, but does not really do anything to stop the bear.
OK THEN! Let's impound ships we have no business impounding!  [Do you really expect there to be anything other than impotent outrage?]
This is beyond Putin, Russia has been perfecting a form of salami warfare, where it is conducted slice by slice in order to not trigger any large confrontation before their objectives have been secured. Sponsor local insurrection, send in volunteers to help the insurrection, send in paratroopers and armoured units to help the volunteers, send in reserves to apply pressure to the whole frontier. It is altogether the same with China's gradual consolidation of the South China Seas under armoured fishing ships & naval bases

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: November 28, 2018, 05:26:11 am »

Yeah i don’t have any doubt that the whole business with the “”””rebels”””” in eastern Ukraine was kicked off to leave Ukraine’s army stretched too thin to even think about being able to reclaim Crimea.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: November 28, 2018, 07:02:16 am »

Yeah i don’t have any doubt that the whole business with the “”””rebels”””” in eastern Ukraine was kicked off to leave Ukraine’s army stretched too thin to even think about being able to reclaim Crimea.
Well, nope. There are\were zero % chance of Ukrainian army advancing in Crimea, distracted or not. The whole business with the "rebels" was to occupy rest of Ukraine. That plan failed because Ukrainians resisted far harder than was expected.

Among other news Russian have forced captured Ukrainian to speak nonsense on camera and Ukrainian sailors are under trial for "violating Russian borders". I am quite sure that it breaks Geneva convention in few places but who cares, right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9102 on: November 28, 2018, 06:15:16 pm »

Well, nope. There are\were zero % chance of Ukrainian army advancing in Crimea, distracted or not. The whole business with the "rebels" was to occupy rest of Ukraine. That plan failed because Ukrainians resisted far harder than was expected.
More likely keep the rest of Ukraine occupied than to occupy all of Ukraine, make the cost of a NATO intervention WWIII, while working on de facto integration of the "autonomous" breakaway rebel states in Donetsk and Luhansk

Among other news Russian have forced captured Ukrainian to speak nonsense on camera and Ukrainian sailors are under trial for "violating Russian borders". I am quite sure that it breaks Geneva convention in few places but who cares, right?
The important thing is it proves they're alive. Doesn't break the geneva convention as far as I'm aware, as speaking nonsense under duress while on camera isn't putting them in harms way, especially since no one in the world believes those men aren't being forced to read the script. But it is a highly illegal act to kidnap foreign servicemen and steal their ships, but Russia sits on the UN security council so in this matter they can act like Americans

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9103 on: November 28, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: November 28, 2018, 06:24:28 pm »

Turned out all the Great Replacement racists were projecting. Imagine my shock
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 795