Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Caravan Carrying Capacity is Completely Ridiculous!  (Read 4852 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Carrying Capacity is Completely Ridiculous!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 11:44:17 am »

And they'll improve at hauling, too!

I'm really just trying to deal with an abject lack of aboveground wood without a military.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 12:33:36 pm »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hauling does not train attributes. Yes, I know it's sad, but let's face it: if hauling did train attributes it would be all-too easy to have a fort consisting entirely of ripped dwarfs.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 01:39:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure that the only real effect of lead bins and barrels is that your haulers move slower with them. No thanks, mine are slow enough as is.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »

If you want dwarves to improve their attributes, set up a rack of pumps and have them pump nothing endlessly.  Make them miners and clear out entire layers of stone.  Draft them into the military and have them train a year or two.  Milling should also increase strength, and agility (movement speed) is trained by farming/herbalism/stone detailing.  Its also trained by, again, military exercise.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 03:44:47 pm »

Lead poisoning doesn't exist, and lugging around ungodly heavy barrels and bins means your dwarves are getting a great workout on top of that.

Sadly, that's not true.  Dwarves don't build muscles by hauling, no matter how heavy or how far.

... oh look, a new page.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 05:54:17 pm »

Wasn't that already said by about three other people?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:09 pm »

If you want dwarves to improve their attributes, set up a rack of pumps and have them pump nothing endlessly.  Make them miners and clear out entire layers of stone.  Draft them into the military and have them train a year or two.  Milling should also increase strength, and agility (movement speed) is trained by farming/herbalism/stone detailing.  Its also trained by, again, military exercise.

I always have a specialized group of about a half dozen suitable dwarves from my original mining crew that graduate from legendary miner's to brutal pick axe wielding shock troops. I haven't played the newest version, but unless it's changed a miner trains much faster than a weapon master and a pick is the deadliest native weapon. Most importantly dwarves use mining skill to determine martial skill while wielding picks. This is also why you will see things like a single legendary miner taking out a rampaging forgotten beast, or more unfortunately, half your fledgling military if he goes berserk.

As for the topic on hand, I've maxed out caravans before while trading off mass amounts of garbage crafts and a decade worth of worn clothes and goblinite.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:40:43 pm by Melting Sky »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »

I dunno if it actually does anything, but there's a tag in creature_equipment (yeah, I know) set as [TRADE_CAPACITY:15000]. Decreasing that might solve, or at least lessen, the problem.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 12:08:06 am »

If you think the capacity of caravans is ridiculous, wait until you play adventurer mode. I managed to fit hundreds of kilos of meat, old weapons and ammunition into my backpack. I even managed to pick up 40 units of alcohol with my bare hands and put it in my backpack. It's crazy really, all the craziness in fortress mode is practically sane by comparison. 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 07:44:14 am »

I dunno if it actually does anything, but there's a tag in creature_equipment (yeah, I know) set as [TRADE_CAPACITY:15000]. Decreasing that might solve, or at least lessen, the problem.
Had you bothered to read the bug report I linked to on the first page, you would have known that this is exactly what the problem is - back in 40d, it meant 15,000Γ, which was a reasonable amount of trade goods, but as of 0.31 it changed to 15,000 kilograms, which is obviously way more than it should be.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 06:30:39 pm »

Had you bothered to read the bug report I linked to on the first page, you would have known that this is exactly what the problem is - back in 40d, it meant 15,000Γ, which was a reasonable amount of trade goods, but as of 0.31 it changed to 15,000 kilograms, which is obviously way more than it should be.

So, lowering this amount manually should ensure that caravans don't arrive so overloaded they never finish unloading?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 06:54:57 pm »

I'm confused about weight units. The wiki says:
Weight, or sometimes more correctly termed mass, is an item property, and is measured in the unit Γ, also sometimes known as urists, or more commonly as the kilogram, its equivalent real-life unit.

That kind of implies that an Γ is a kilogram. But what Quietust says implies that Γ is much smaller than a kilogram. So how much mass is an Γ?

Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 09:33:31 pm »

Nonono, the UNIT changed. Before, one Γ meant... something smaller than a kilogram. It was weird, because density didn't matter for weight - a lead throne weighed the same as a iron throne weighed the same as a copper throne. Adamantine, silk, etc. had hardcoded exceptions.

No, a Γ is exactly one kilogram.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2]