Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Increasing Ocean Spawns?  (Read 5432 times)

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:sleeve chee-wow-wow]
    • View Profile
Increasing Ocean Spawns?
« on: January 08, 2016, 04:16:19 pm »

Over the years I keep on coming back to this thread, where someone back in DF2010 managed to catch sea creatures in a savage ocean by pretty much draining the ocean and setting up traps in the sea, or using a channel full of traps that could be drained and flooded at will.

What I'm having trouble with has left me stumped; I cannot get sea creatures to spawn. No non-vermin fish or other aquatic life will enter the map and I can't figure out why. It's been years in-game, and in the past I've tried setting up bridges at the edge of land and raising them to prevent land spawns, but it hardly changed anything.

Is there something in the raws that I can change to increase a world's sea life spawns? Are there other methods I'm missing or things I should consider for embarks? For my current fort, I have embarked between a temperate forest "Wilderness" biome and a savage "Untamed Wilds" ocean. The ocean, for the most part, is 1 level deep, except for one corner which is about 20 tiles of 2-level deep water. I get plenty of smaller vermin fish but no big creatures.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:41:10 pm by RedReign »

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Ocean Spawns?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 04:43:29 pm »

I think dfhack has a population tool. Your site/biome might just not have anything interesting.  There are also tons more things that can spawn compared to years ago, so you might just be unlucky.

Try finding a site with three map edges being water and wall off the caverns and see if you get the spawns you'd expect?
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 05:11:02 pm »

I think dfhack has a population tool.

region-pops?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 06:01:57 pm »

Sounds like it.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 06:03:42 pm »

region-pops is the right one. Just installed DFHack to take a look for you guys. Thanks for the responses, by the way.

This is some of the stuff I get. Lots of sharks and other creatures.

I've also noted that wildlife usually shows up in groups, and a new group won't appear until the previous group has left or been dealt with. I had a group of giant cardinals flying around on the map, and then as soon as they left, 5 or 6 wild boars showed up. After they left, a fox entered the map and ran around until one of my hunters killed it. Then the giant cardinals instantly returned.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:09:41 pm by RedReign »

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »

the one group at a time behaviour is normal.  Kill them quickly to get another group.
I'm not sure if it will select a different biome if you kill every land animal in that list or not, but it might?

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 06:24:33 pm »

Ah. That's irritating.

So I'm going to just have to bridge up again? If I remember correctly, that still didn't prevent flying creatures from spawning though, right?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 06:36:22 pm »

I'd reduce the number of all unwanted types of critters radically using region-pops. If you get one group, kill it off, and you won't have to deal with that species any more.

Also note that bridges will presumably also block sieges, caravans, and visitors.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 06:50:10 pm »

Build marksdwarf towers around the edges, so your marksdwarves can quickly take down fliers.

You may need to draft a few more marksdwarves than most forts typically do, though, depending on how long your land borders are.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »

No luck so far. Still haven't gotten any sea creatures (except for sea otters, which technically spawn on land). I've been using region-pops whenever a group shows up. If I don't get any luck today I'll start a new world with new embarks and see if DFHack can help me then.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 02:54:56 am »

I'm pretty sure that in the past I was able to get sea creatures to spawn by completely depleting the land biomes of creatures. Just killed them all until none were left, and the game had no choice but to spawn from the water-biome populations. It didn't take as long as you might expect.

That was years ago, though, so things may be different now.

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 03:38:20 am »

I managed to do it by building bridges as before. I have a man-made tunnel that I flood with ocean water as an above-ground tile for things to spawn.

I managed to catch a couple sharks, and a crab man and crab woman!

However, I'm having a problem. I can't seem to pit the crab man or crab woman - they just don't show up on the list! Any reason for this? Any way I can fix it?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 05:19:35 am »

There is a reason for the pitting failure and there is nothing you can do about it that's known.

That is, it's been reported on the bug tracker, but isn't yet acknowledged as a bug (rather than a feature) that all sapient creatures are now treated the same way as dwarves were in 0.40.X in most respects, and that includes not being possible to pit. The main work around is to hook cages to levers to release the creatures where you want them. I guess retracting bridges can be sort of used as a poor mans pittery, but you need to time the opening to when the critters are on top of it, and then might get hurt by the fall.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »

As far as embarks go... found one with this for region-pops output:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks pretty good, ocean-wise, with squid, octopus, whales, many fish types, giant versions, and so on.
If you're interested, I can post the worldgen and embark location.
In that past, I used DFHack obsidian walls on the map edge to curtail spawns in certain locations. Might work here with getting only ocean spawns?

RedReign

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing Ocean Spawns? [INTERESTING FINDINGS]
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 02:57:22 pm »

I wanted to see what I could do in Dwarf Fortress without resorting to 3rd party scripts, and while region-pops is useful, I don't want to cheat by building walls or killing off species, or doing things with hacks if there's a genuine method to do it!

Here's some interesting discoveries I found!
What I managed to do was line the perimeter of my world with drawbridges, and then raise them. This forced no land spawns. I left one tile open, and things still chose to pour through there, with NONE of them being sea creatures. At this point, I was convinced that the other biomes take priority to ocean biomes when it comes to spawning creatures. When I moved the edge tile to be in the ocean biome, but above ground and on the beach, land animals that live in ocean biomes came through (crabs, albatrosses, sea otters). Even when the only creatures that could spawn were ocean spawns, the game STILL prioritized land creatures.

Wanting to further experiment, I built drawbridges and walls to create an aqueduct that would feed to the edge of the map, where this one tile was. My pump did an excellent job of draining water from the ocean and feeding it into this tunnel I made, and then something interesting happened.

When I flooded this exit to the map and kept it flooded, sea creatures constantly poured through it. Absolutely none spawned in the actual ocean, despite there only being aquatic ocean spawn tiles. They would consistently come through the artificial water tile I had created on the beach.

I don't know what exactly is causing this, as the only fundamental difference is that the aqueduct is one level above the ocean, and on the beach instead of offshore like the other edge tiles.

More experimentation is required! I'm very excited to hear what you all think of this. Thanks for the replies from everyone!

As far as embarks go... found one with this for region-pops output:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looks pretty good, ocean-wise, with squid, octopus, whales, many fish types, giant versions, and so on.
If you're interested, I can post the worldgen and embark location.
In that past, I used DFHack obsidian walls on the map edge to curtail spawns in certain locations. Might work here with getting only ocean spawns?

Thanks for the offer, but have you tried embarking there yourself? Did you see things spawning there, or are you only going by region-pops? It's quite similar to my own embark, honestly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 03:06:04 pm by RedReign »
Pages: [1] 2 3