Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Undying undead rabbit?  (Read 2643 times)

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
Undying undead rabbit?
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:37:35 am »

I recently decided to try my first Evil Biome, and It was going rather well until a rabbit died and became an immortal punching bag that never dies - my squad of Legendary Zombie slaying Superdwarves have killed several dozen more dangerous zombies but this rabbit (who is so crippled he can't even fight back) had them hacking at it only for the blows to all "glance away" despite using iron weapons.

After 10 min the bastard was still not dead. My soldiers are starting to pass out only to wake and resume.
After much fiddling I figured out how to retreat, but Fluffles the Undying is still in my caravan route.
How can i kill this little beggar once and for all?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:27:54 am by Of Dust »
If one must choose between excess of order or chaos, always choose chaos. From anarchy structure may arise, but from stagnation change will never come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undying undead rabbit?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 05:52:31 am »

It's a bug that's been there for a while. Animated head anything (like hair and skin), is (almost?) impossible to kill, as are sufficiently small reanimated animals. There is a DFHack command exterminate him/her to destroy it while generating smoke. Since you've been able to withdraw you can lure it into a cage trap or lure it into an atom smasher (don't bother with a pressure plate, since it's too light weight to trigger one even at the lowest setting).
I'd use a cage trap, hook the cage up to a lever and release it into an atom smasher filled dead end corridor with a locked door at the end. My smasher corridors uses 4 10 tile long raising bridges controlled both by a pressure plate (for goblins, not Fluffles) as well as a lever.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:25:14 pm »

You see a pest, I see an asset. If you can cage the little freak, save him for a siege. Let him loose in the path of your visitors and watch the invasion come to a halt when they can't kill a single rabbit. Do zombies still not melt when set on fire? If so, upgrade it to !!Rabbit Corpse!! and use as prescribed.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »

The problem is that visitors to my fort have begun attacking it as they enter so it won't move (I'm also not actually sure if it can move seeing how crippled it is). Furthermore worker Dwarves flee in terror from Fluffles the Undying.

On a positive note, any of my soldiers who weren't legendary weapon users before became so after wailing on it, so perhaps another use if i can cage it is to use it as a training dummy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:19:28 pm by Of Dust »
If one must choose between excess of order or chaos, always choose chaos. From anarchy structure may arise, but from stagnation change will never come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:12:06 pm »

Non dwarven undead could be pitted into magma to burn and be eliminated in 0.40.24 (but the sapient pitting bug prevents their magma dipping in 0.42.X).

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:57 pm »

Its wasteful, but could just dump the whole cage.

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:52:54 pm »

Good God... he did it... he actually did it... let it be known that the Dread Revenant, Fluffles the Undying, Lord of the Dead, has wiped out the fort of Inkstone.

After I deactivated the alert keeping my Dwarves inside under the assumption the main gate was closed (It wasn't) many rushed outside, saw the bunny and (rather than fleeing) began pummeling it. Reactivating the alert did not call them back and they soon started dying of starvation, only to rise and assist their Zombie overlord.

Roughly 50 casualties later, the surviving militia had put down all the dead save Fluffles, who simply wandered into the fort, attracted more attention and repeated the process.
On the surface a Donkey corpse killed visitors entering the fort, sending reinforcements to Fluffles.
The militia were soon dead, and the only survivors were children hiding in the depths of the fort, who were gradually killed off by animate body parts.
The last to die was but a babe, lying on the temple floor, whose cries were soon silenced by cold dead hands.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 10:01:35 pm »

Undying small undead bug, meet vengeful drunk dwarves bug. Hmm, what a happy union...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:15:24 pm »

Oh DEAR.

Also,
Good God... he did it... he actually did it... let it be known that the Dread Revenant, Fluffles the Undying, Lord of the Dead, has wiped out the fort of Inkstone.
Sig'd.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Khorinis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:12:34 pm »

After I deactivated the alert keeping my Dwarves inside under the assumption the main gate was closed (It wasn't) many rushed outside, saw the bunny and (rather than fleeing) began pummeling it. Reactivating the alert did not call them back and they soon started dying of starvation, only to rise and assist their Zombie overlord.

Roughly 50 casualties later, the surviving militia had put down all the dead save Fluffles, who simply wandered into the fort, attracted more attention and repeated the process.
On the surface a Donkey corpse killed visitors entering the fort, sending reinforcements to Fluffles.
The militia were soon dead, and the only survivors were children hiding in the depths of the fort, who were gradually killed off by animate body parts.
The last to die was but a babe, lying on the temple floor, whose cries were soon silenced by cold dead hands.

Never underestimate the power of necromancy and... dwarven sturdiness
:S

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:10:10 am »

"Grandpa, tell me again the story of why the mountain home won't allow us to keep rabbits."

"Well child, a long time ago in a fortress called Inkstone...."