Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124

Author Topic: The Occult Hobby - OOC  (Read 83346 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
The Occult Hobby - OOC
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:25:37 pm »

IC is here

And the time has come to start ba new roleplay thread. Delving into the ever present highschool for the supernatural threads, I have found them...wanting. By being supernatural, they all too easily toss away all the things that make the supernatural interesting - that it goes beyond what is normal. Characters are only defined by how very eccentric their powers are, and the reaction to the fabulous and unnameable is reduced to snarky remarks. If everyone is special - no one is. Vampires and half-gods, sitting at a table with literal embodiments of abstract concepts, with a timetable filled with combat-classes (which indeed often seems to be the only class), quickly leave a sour aftertaste, knowing that a vampire used to be a noble and feared master of the shadows, a single one to center an entire campaign around.

This thread does away with that.

In here, you are normal humans, born into normal families, going to normal schools, that would probably think "combat class" is something that navy seals do, not high-schoolers. In here, the supernatural and occult is exactly that. Hard to grasp, and even harder to master, it ranges from "did anything happen at all?" to so mindboggingly powerful that nobody could have ever dreamt of such a thing. And not because it has high numbers attached to it, but because it actually defies the laws of nature - something unthinkable. When it's not an army of undead, but a single animated skelleton that strikes fear and helplessness into the heart of men, only then will the noble necromancer be where he deserves to be again. Not a standard villain, who summons weak, worthless minions and regrets having chosen the wrong skill-tree, but a master over life and death, the final frontier that so many strife to master but never can.

And delving into the unknowable starts by revealing that indeed, this is not entirely freeform, but it has a system attached to it, with numbers and dice - but none of them are known to the players. The success - and the misfortune - of their efforts unfold in the game entirely. Nobody comes to this school as a master of shooting flames from their hands, nobody is master of martial arts, or hides their demonic bloodline. You are normal students, joining a normal highschool, and with no numbers to burden you, improvisation and freeform is basicaly your game.

As such, all the info I need from you is

Name:
Backstory/Personality: If any.
Hobbies:
Strenghts: (and be honest)
Weaknesses: (and be honest)
Grades:
Special: Even mundane characters might have something special about them. Note that something like actual karate skills, knowing basic latin/hebrew or access to a telescope etc counts as special.

While copious amounts of roleplay-time will be given, note that this is a plot driven game, and as such, I will limit character-spots to whatever number I feel will be good to handle. And I may or may not entirely ignore the usual first-come-first-serve basis, and cherry-pick what I think might fit best.

Also, feel free to use this time to thread-forming to post requests, regarding the tones of the game. Certain kinds of magic, lores and supernatural things you'd like to see explored, or that might add the most to your character? Now is the best time to give your input.
----

Players:
Oceanus Baugher, by KJ1225
Oliver A. Lichtenstein, by AbstractTraitorHero
Christina Sellick, by Adragis029
Serena Ferris, by Twinwolf
Elise Devar, by Kansa
Emmet Gruber, by SentientBowtie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:55:41 pm by Akroma »
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: The Occult Hobby - OOC
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:27:57 pm »

Reserved

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 12:28:53 pm »

Also reserved.
Also also, what if the person IS a master of martial arts? Or just really good?
thincake

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 12:29:54 pm »

QUESTION: WOULD A FETISH BE CONSIDERED A WEAKNESS
Black lives matter.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 12:30:58 pm »

Reserved making sheet now!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:31:04 pm »

You are approximately 14-ish years old in this game. You are likely above average at martial arts at best.

as far as fetishes counting as weaknesses, well, what do you have in mind?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 12:31:31 pm »

never mind actually
Black lives matter.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 12:33:36 pm »

I will make one.
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 12:40:02 pm »

Might join. Might not.

We'll see.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 12:42:25 pm »

he'll probably just keep it closeted actually
Spoiler: just fuck me up (click to show/hide)
bam, done, fuck u
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:57:37 am by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 12:43:43 pm »

Reserved.

Spoiler: Character! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:57:18 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 12:44:54 pm »

Spoiler: Oh Sheet (click to show/hide)

What kind of magic animals will we be facing, if any? Because I like magic animals.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 12:45:55 pm »

Not entirely sure what you mean by magical animals. Like a salamander? Also, I guess any animal can be magical, if bound as a familiar.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 12:46:10 pm »

Oceanus.
Black lives matter.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 12:47:16 pm »

I bet he gets massively bullied for that name alone :P
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124