Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Roll to Theatre Turn 2: Deadlines  (Read 3477 times)

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Theatre Turn 2: Deadlines
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:18:55 am »

So, you made it. Well, sort of. It's a blackbox theatre, it's gig-to-gig, the pay is shit, and who knows if things will actually come together. But you've got a job, so you're happy. For now. The producers are crazy, the stage manager is already overworked (hooray for week 1 of rehearsal), the technical director is a week behind, and the lighting guy just came up to you and said: "The fucking DMX shorted and popped a lamp on the PARCAN so now I need all new gel and another GOBO and where the fuck am I gonna find the budget for that?!" Whatever that means. Fucking showbiz, man.

Roll to put on a play (or musical, or like dance thing), this is gonna be pretty simple, just come up with a name and a job. This is gonna be pretty fast and loose, looking for 4 people to begin with, but it can grow as large as interest dictates. You can choose anything as a job, I've got some suggestions below, but go wild. You don't need to know anything about the industry, the general vibe is everyone is crazy and everyone is on the point of a breakdown all the time. It's great fun.

Spoiler: Theatre Information (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Potential Jobs (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:13:32 am by O.Wilde »
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:11 am »

Janitor:Ascend to Almighty Janitor status.
((Yes, there is probably a janitor.))
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:39:19 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre (1/6)
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 05:50:18 am »

The Playwright is currently locked in a closet with a crate of vodka, producing his latest masterpiece.

It shall be an examination of... alcoholism. Write what you know. And it'll be a musical. Gotta try new things.

It promises to be his best work yet.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre (2/6) Pregame: What rhymes with alcoholism?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:59:32 am »

Jean Lafayette is a middling actor at best, who thinks of himself as god's gift to the acting world.

Currently he's ingesting some liquid courage.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre (3/6) Pregame: Method acting. Ugh.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 03:20:17 pm »

Name: Rita Royce
Job: Technician

Rita thought she was lucky to get a theatre job straight out of college, but she's beginning to doubt that. Everything is always on the verge of falling apart and she does not get paid nearly enough for hat she does. Still, it's valuable experience, so she does what she can to cope. Right now that entails smoking a bowl before the show, as she does every show. To calm the nerves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:31:51 pm by penguinofhonor »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 11:08:36 pm »

Name: Barry Whitelemon
Job: Technical Manager

Begin constructing a stage with lever controlled, moving floor tiles.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 05:57:50 am »

Name: Bert Curtis, stage name Frankie Daydream.

Job: Singer

Bert, a rather simple and timid young man with the voice of Orpeheus and the body of Adonis, is currently crouched behind the curtain, praying that none of his three rich and elderly wives will find him. He is also hiding from his producer in the music industry, who arranged these marriages, as well as several upsetting and confusing experiences with young women and alcohol. He has gone into hiding in the theatre to avoid such events.

Bert peeks out from his place of concealment, trying to see if anyone recognises him from his eminent musical career. If the coast is clear, he examines several closets, looking for a disguise or a better hiding place.
One wheel short of a wagon

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre Turn 1:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 04:28:43 pm »

Janitor:Ascend to Almighty Janitor status.
[5] Fish ASCENDS by procuring a mop and a mop bucket. Now, he controls the cleanliness.

Burt Curtis, the singer who dissappeared a few weeks ago, falls on his face in front of you.

The Playwright is currently locked in a closet with a crate of vodka, producing his latest masterpiece.

It shall be an examination of... alcoholism. Write what you know. And it'll be a musical. Gotta try new things.

It promises to be his best work yet.

[2] The Playwright manages to rhyme Alcoholism and Catholicism. He curls up in a ball and rocks back and forth, remembering his younger years. It's not going well.

Jean Lafayette is a middling actor at best, who thinks of himself as god's gift to the acting world.

Currently he's ingesting some liquid courage.

[5] After a few drinks, Jean is INSPIRED! (+1 to rolls)

Name: Rita Royce
Job: Technician
Rita Royce exists, and it is good. (Feel free to submit two actions next turn, and I'll retcon one in here)

Begin constructing a stage with lever controlled, moving floor tiles.
[6] Barry races to the shop, and finds all the parts he thinks he needs! Wonderful! [4] He gets to work, creating several floor tiles.

Bert peeks out from his place of concealment, trying to see if anyone recognises him from his eminent musical career. If the coast is clear, he examines several closets, looking for a disguise or a better hiding place.
Bert peers out from the closet [1] and falls flat on his face, right in front of Fish, the Janitor, who
[5] (Fame) vs. [4-1(Falling like a Fool)](Discretion)=[3]
Recognizes you!

The Producers are [3] indifferent to the current situation. They just want the show ready, dammit!

Spoiler: Theatre Information (click to show/hide)
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre Turn 1: Janitorial Disaster (Still Recruiting!)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 04:32:06 pm »

"...Okay, this is very random and I am not going to ask you about it.  They're kind of busy looking for you though.  In case you weren't aware of that."
Help the guy up, then carry on cleaning and screw in the lightbulb for Dustan.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:53:17 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Theatre Turn 1: Janitorial Disaster
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 04:34:23 pm »

Perhaps knowing how to write musical notation would help, but the Playwright will not let this stop him.

Instead he will sing the most important parts on his own, writing them out by intuition as they come into his mind!

Some overlap will be there, of course. It's kind of like recording an album, but more artistically interpretive.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 04:50:01 pm »

I am the electrician, working on figuring out how many of the other people it will take to screw in a lightbulb.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

The answer is one Janitor.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 04:56:38 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »

Name: Solomon Cain.

Job: Musician.

Begin practicing with one of my instruments.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 05:52:45 pm »

Name: Jay Jacobson
Job: Costumer
Sew some dicks on the costumes. Small, hard to see dicks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 06:07:37 pm »

"Uh... who? Looking for me? Ah no, this is... uh, method acting! I'm in a short biodrama about Frankie Daydream and his disappearance put on in Gaelic! So I convinced you, yes? Good... um... acting? Hro'gath, beatha tae uisce, eh?"

Find a hiding place or a disguise backstage. Avoid each and every female, as well as anyone who looks like they have connections in the music world, at all costs.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3