Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends Viewer Site Populations  (Read 2350 times)

Auxxiliary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legends Viewer Site Populations
« on: December 27, 2015, 10:47:02 pm »

I have about 50 forts under my belt so far, been lurking and reading and watching videos on this game for about 3 years. I find myself reading about it more than playing because i like being well informed about games i play.
Anyway to the actual question i have is in Legends Viewer that i have finally got around to using. In the Site populations list I am confused on the "Human Outcasts, Goblin Outcasts, Rodent Man Outcasts, ect..."  As i understand it to be an "outcast" you would have to be created when there was no Civilization of that race was around correct?  I cant find it in the wiki.  Also things like Dead Helpers, Death's Hands, Iwa's Attendants, Gloom Monsters, ect... they arnt listed anywhere in the wiki or other sources and are a mystery to me.
Sorry for probably an easy question but Im still learning.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:49:53 pm by Auxxiliary »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends Viewer Site Populations
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:22:18 pm »

I have about 50 forts under my belt so far, been lurking and reading and watching videos on this game for about 3 years. I find myself reading about it more than playing because i like being well informed about games i play.
Anyway to the actual question i have is in Legends Viewer that i have finally got around to using. In the Site populations list I am confused on the "Human Outcasts, Goblin Outcasts, Rodent Man Outcasts, ect..."  As i understand it to be an "outcast" you would have to be created when there was no Civilization of that race was around correct?  I cant find it in the wiki.  Also things like Dead Helpers, Death's Hands, Iwa's Attendants, Gloom Monsters, ect... they arnt listed anywhere in the wiki or other sources and are a mystery to me.
Thanks in advance
No, that's 'outsider'. Outcast is...Bandit? Refugee? Criminal? I think. Also used to refer to merchants and wagons trapped forever in retired sites, but I think that's been fixed now.

The scary sounding guys are night creatures and other hidden fun stuff with procedurally generated names. Possibly.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 12:42:02 pm »

What always annoyed me was that your livestock is listed as "strays"

Other sites just have "15 horse, 50 chickens"

Yours will have "X stray sheep, X stray turkeys, X stray elkbird" even when all of them are domesticated.

Btw, animalmen that appear to live inside human towns typically just live in the sewers.  I think they can become "enlightened" and move into the town proper now, though, but you'll still find "camps" of hostile ones under said town.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 04:38:14 pm »

Also things like Dead Helpers, Death's Hands, Iwa's Attendants, Gloom Monsters, ect... they arnt listed anywhere in the wiki or other sources and are a mystery to me.
Thanks in advance

They're actually spoilers that are found in spoilers

Gio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 07:10:52 pm »

Apologies for the necropost, but when I search with google this seemed to be the most directly relevant thread.

I was wondering who/what the outcasts were (I was researching my civilization in LV), and it seems that outcasts are residents of a site that are not members of the site's government. While this does include outlaws, it also includes members of performance troupes. Hope this helps anyone else searching for similar answers.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 08:06:09 pm »

How does it distinguish between 'visitors' (who are listed too) and 'outcasts'? Aren't they 'residents but not members'?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 07:49:21 am »

How does it distinguish between 'visitors' (who are listed too) and 'outcasts'? Aren't they 'residents but not members'?

It treats them specially.  Gio's post should be amended to, all residents of a site that are not members of the site government and not visitors.

Gio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 07:36:36 pm »

Visitors are, by definition, not residents.

Plus they are listed as visitors in the xml, and Legends Viewer parses that.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 10:17:58 pm »

It treats them specially.  Gio's post should be amended to, all residents of a site that are not members of the site government and not visitors.
Don't long-term residents become members of a site government upon becoming long-term residents?

Gio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 06:34:41 pm »

Don't long-term residents become members of a site government upon becoming long-term residents?

The mechanics of who does what when are within the purview of Dwarf Fortress itself.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:29:11 pm »

The mechanics of who does what when are within the purview of Dwarf Fortress itself.
What I meant was, if long-term residents are counted as site government members, visitors are counted as visitors, who does that leave as "residents of a site that are not members of the site government and not visitors"? Merchants? Caged goblins?

Gio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 04:00:10 am »

I see. Well, as far as I can tell a long-term resident doesn't automatically become part of the site's government. For example, I have (part) of a performance troupe that resides in one of my civ's Mountain Halls; they count as outcasts. In the dungeons under one of the human towns exists a large number of fairly permanent residents than are all counted as outcasts. Being a resident and being a member of the site's government are independent of each other. All residents are counted as population, ones that are not part of the government are outcasts.

Hope that clears up everything. =)