Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does the number of screwpumps relate to fluid pressure?  (Read 708 times)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
How does the number of screwpumps relate to fluid pressure?
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:44:56 pm »

Alright so say I've got a long shaft dug out with individual rooms for containing separate prisoners, I don't yet, but say I do. If I want to flood the entire thing from the bottom up, with a cistern full of either magma or water, how many screwpumps would it take to accomplish at minimum? 'Cause like, I know I could ensure it happens with a whole stack; but if I already have the cistern at a higher z-level than my absurdly sadistic mass torture & execution extravaganza prison tube, well, I really don't like using pumpstacks if I can get by with one.

Plus it'd be more dramatic if the magma slowly crept up the pipe instead of fully flooding a room before even the invaders in the room below realize they've caught fire.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does the number of screwpumps relate to fluid pressure?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 05:46:23 am »

Alright so say I've got a long shaft dug out with individual rooms for containing separate prisoners, I don't yet, but say I do. If I want to flood the entire thing from the bottom up, with a cistern full of either magma or water, how many screwpumps would it take to accomplish at minimum? 'Cause like, I know I could ensure it happens with a whole stack; but if I already have the cistern at a higher z-level than my absurdly sadistic mass torture & execution extravaganza prison tube, well, I really don't like using pumpstacks if I can get by with one.

Plus it'd be more dramatic if the magma slowly crept up the pipe instead of fully flooding a room before even the invaders in the room below realize they've caught fire.

Using mechanisms will pump in the water faster than dwarf operated functions, one mechanised water pump for a 5x5x3 room would enough wheras a larger room its more a case of distribution of water and placing them appropriately as to fill the floor up effectively.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:50:41 pm »

Using mechanisms will pump in the water faster than dwarf operated functions

Do you have science to back this up?  I've seen no evidence that a dwarf-powered pump is slower than a power-powered pump.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:18:53 pm »

Pumps pressurize fluid to the level they're on, regardless of how many. If you want to flood from the bottom up, you need the fluid all the way at the top, then let it flow down a shaft back down the bottom. The answer is just one pump, located as high as you want to flood.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 03:21:23 pm »

Okay so just one pump and possibly have it manually operated, got it. Thanks!
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 05:59:42 pm »

With water you don't need a pump if the source is above all the rooms (and sufficient in size to be considered "endless"). Just make a J shape (from a side perspective). The tall part connects to water source and the low point is a hatch or grate at the bottom of the shaft of rooms.

A single pump on the top end of the J is required for magma to pressurize enough to raise z-levels. If you add multiple pumps in a parallel configuration, you'll add cannon-like pressure (water or magma) coming up the shaft.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:03:09 pm »

I've found that the best way to shoot water across any distance using pressure is with a large topside reservoir. Pump the water into the top of the reservoir (or use an aquifer to fill it from above), and the pressure of the water itself will shoot water through tunnels at nigh-supersonic speeds. I usually use raising bridges to control where the water goes.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0