Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do I need to do to make trolls avaliable as pets  (Read 1155 times)

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
What do I need to do to make trolls avaliable as pets
« on: December 25, 2015, 02:57:55 pm »

What do I need to change to make them working as pets becouse I don't know what to do. And also is Tag [CAN_LEARN] working on pets?
Here's screenshot:
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need to do to make trolls avaliable as pets
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »

You just need to remove the [EVIL] tag.

Aleksanderus

• Bay Watcher
  • Champion of the unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:12:39 pm »

You just need to remove the [EVIL] tag.
Thank you! finally my dwarves can use them as killing machines  :D
his title changed to "thruthful chills"
Also known as : "Believe me when I say this guy is a psychotic murderer".

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 03:05:58 am »

Alternatively, you can give the dwarf entity the USE_EVIL_ANIMALS tag.  They will then cheerfully embark with evil trolls to do all the hauling and construction.

And CAN_LEARN works fine on pets, but I think you need to include SLOW_LEARNER if you want them to reproduce.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 11:52:36 am »

I'm pretty sure that SLOW_LEARNER is just a shortcut for CAN_LEARN with all the skill rates set at 50%, and what applies to one will apply equally to the other.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 12:37:32 pm »

I'm pretty sure that SLOW_LEARNER is just a shortcut for CAN_LEARN with all the skill rates set at 50%, and what applies to one will apply equally to the other.
I think SLOW_LEARNER has the side-effect of not letting creatures with it perform jobs (except maybe hauling and constructing). It certainly does not affect reproduction in any way.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:56:49 pm »

I've done testing with intelligent pets that were consistently failing to reproduce, in multiple worlds and embarks.  I added SLOW_LEARNER, with no other changes, and they started having kids. What makes you certain that it doesn't affect reproduction?

I haven't done thorough testing on it, as I don't want my pets doing all labors, but SLOW_LEARNER creatures can definitely do plant gathering.  I've seen nothing to suggest that it conflicts with any other jobs.  You just don't get the labor settings interface for pets, so you have to use something like Dwarf Therapist if you want to change their assigned labors.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 03:21:56 pm »

I've done testing with intelligent pets that were consistently failing to reproduce, in multiple worlds and embarks.  I added SLOW_LEARNER, with no other changes, and they started having kids. What makes you certain that it doesn't affect reproduction?

I haven't done thorough testing on it, as I don't want my pets doing all labors, but SLOW_LEARNER creatures can definitely do plant gathering.  I've seen nothing to suggest that it conflicts with any other jobs.  You just don't get the labor settings interface for pets, so you have to use something like Dwarf Therapist if you want to change their assigned labors.
Regarding the first part, it was one of the many moments in my life where I completely misinterpreted something. You are right, slow_learner will let intelligent pets breed like animals. The reason for that is that intelligent creatures need to marry.

As for the second bit, I meant for the actual civ creature, yeah.

Anyway, sorry for accidentally misleading someone.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 12:56:43 am »

Pets with CAN_LEARN will also breed like animals, though - my own mod uses fully intelligent, speaking pets and they will breed, and can be trained, butchered and gelded just as well as their non-sapient counterparts (however, civ members will only eat their meat if they are okay with eating sapients, otherwise they will just butcher them and leave them to rot).  It seems that any creature set as a pet will behave like one, regardless of their inherent cognitive abilities.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 01:32:18 am »

Huh.  Is that in the latest version?  My fully intelligent pets used to work like that, but more recently they stopped breeding until I threw in SLOW_LEARNER.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 11:33:47 am »

It can be assumed that all intelligent creatures have to marry as a prerequisite, whereas slow learners are not required nessecarily.

There was recently a bug patch addressing the issue of 'animal marriage' in the latest 42.04 build so hopefully they should be a lot more (re)productive now.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 04:32:05 pm »

Huh.  Is that in the latest version?  My fully intelligent pets used to work like that, but more recently they stopped breeding until I threw in SLOW_LEARNER.

It seems you're right.  Apparently at some point, SLOW_LEARNER was given some more properties that causes creatures to have some of the qualities of sapients, and some qualities of animals - they can perform labors and acquire skills, but can't become nobles, will breed without marriage, and I think can be milked.