Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "After a polite discussion with local rivals..."  (Read 2009 times)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
"After a polite discussion with local rivals..."
« on: December 23, 2015, 01:29:28 pm »

"...Urist has claimed the title of King." First, that particular phrasing sounds very sinister. Second, while my fort is ready to become the capitol, my civilization already had a queen, and I've seen no indications that she was killed, in fact my civilization has not had any noteworthy events in the past three years. I've had dwarves ascend to the monarchy before, but this is the first time seeing this particular message. Did one of my dwarves go rogue and declare independence?

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "After a polite discussion with local rivals..."
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »

how do you know your civilization had a queen? the position was probably vacant until urist took over. as far as i remember, dying civs might appear to have rulers listed in legends (ie: in the year 54, urist mcking became the ruler of the floating abbey) but i dont believe theres any indication that they died

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 02:58:04 pm »

The fort has been well-established over several years. Looking at the civilization screen for my own civ, it has shown a goblin queen since I established the fort in 150. The outpost liaison hasn't mentioned any major events taking place, Urist Mcdorf just suddenly declared himself emperor.

mobucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 08:44:01 pm »

Pure speculation, but perhaps it isnt reported because its assumed you would know this news.

Legends mode would probably clear things up.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 08:54:08 pm »

more importantly, how did a goblin get to be queen of a dwarf nation?
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:08:36 pm »

I'd have to check, and with the fortress currently active, I'm not sure how I could. I know there's a legends viewer utility, but I'm not familiar with how to use it. However, non-dwarven rulers are hardly unheard of, in fact some of them have gone on to great renown in these very forums. I begin to suspect something must have happened to the previous capitol, as the old outpost liaison was also a goblin, but the one that showed up at my fort is a dwarf. Also, it gave me the "your monarch has arrived with their retinue" message, but the monarch was already in residence. It did give me four legendary military dwarves, so I'm not complaining.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 09:21:57 pm »

A goblin. Being the queen. Of a dwarf nation. That's just wrong.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 09:57:10 pm »

Hey, it could be worse. It could be an elf.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade

That being said, the thing that perplexes me is just the way my king ascended. I've seen dwarves become ruler before, just never with the whole "After much discussion, Urist has become king" message before.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 02:13:36 am »

Purely speculation, but the discussion message is probably due to the old goblin queen having no living heir, so the dwarves lesser nobility had to decide who among them would be king.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 05:12:21 am »

backup your save, retire the fort and enter legends mode and look up your civ and the goblin ruler to see how he actually became the ruler

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 10:57:12 am »

Goblins become part of the population when a civilization takes over a city. Goblins can invade a fortress, the dwarves can take it back. Which will leave goblin civilians behind. Who will become members of the dwarf civilization, and be fully able to breed more goblins.
Any citizen can become the leader, regardless of the race.

There have been bugs before with nondwarf kings and queens coming to your dwarf fortress. Perhaps in OP's case, it just broke.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 05:01:33 pm »

It took me a while rooting through the legends, but I eventually found my former queen, Tirist Dyestake. It appears the old capitol site was taken over by another group at roughly the same time I had made my fort eligible to become a mountainhome. She was killed by a human that was a member of a goblin civilization. I guess the odd message for my new king's ascent was because the former queen and any heirs all died, and random Urist Marksdwarf became the new ruler? Kind of odd that it wasn't my duke or any of the other nobles. Looking him up, he's a former militia captain of unknown parentage.