Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get dwarves to drop useless stuff they've picked up  (Read 1298 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get dwarves to drop useless stuff they've picked up
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:37:33 pm »

A lot of my dwarves are carrying around random stuff and it's slowing them way down. One, adult dwarf, has about 8 toys. My milker who just went into a mood is carrying no less than 12 pots. I don't know if he'll complete his mood because he's so slow. A miner has carried a copper wheelbarrow around for the last 7 years of this fort. Why are they doing this and how do I get them to drop that crap. I've already tried forbidding it or alternately dumping it, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Get dwarves to drop useless stuff they've picked up
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:43:05 pm »

I haven't tried myself, but have you tried assigning said dwarf to a military squad, then giving him a 'replace clothing' setting in the equipment menu?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 05:27:45 pm »

It seems that the items the dwarves are carrying are actually owned items. So if I assign them to a military unit and give them and order they assume their uniform and drop the items. But once they are removed from the unit, they go and pick their stuff back up again and keep carrying it. I will have to do more tests later on this. Once they items are dropped they could be dumped/forbidden. Then I'll have a pile full of confiscated crap just laying around. Is their anyway I can remove it's "owned" status?

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 06:53:07 pm »

Wait for dfhack.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 07:17:13 pm »

Have you given them rooms with coffers yet? Maybe they'll stick their belongings there?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:33 pm »

Once they items are dropped they could be dumped/forbidden. Then I'll have a pile full of confiscated crap just laying around. Is their anyway I can remove it's "owned" status?
atomsmash it (build a garbage dump zone over a 1x1 channel that drops down to a floor over which you can drop a raised bridge, that's how you get rid of all useless junk the easy way)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:45:21 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 09:17:46 pm »

Owned clothing can't be dumped -- hence the need for DFHack's remove ownership feature.  I don't know about owned wheelbarrows and other new flair.

On the other hand, Toady could fix the bug and render remove-ownership-and-dump-and-smash workarounds unnecessary.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 05:59:58 am »

If its a question of ownership, then forbidding should work, I do it for forbidding XclothesX in order to be able to trade them. You just have to wait for the ownership to wear off while it if forbidden. Once the ownership wears off (in about a season or so I think) the item should be relinquished by the owner, in the meantime they will keep wearing/ carrying that item around even if its forbidden, unless you draft them into the military or something. Not the best workaround, and I'm not entirely sure it will work either, but it won't hurt to give it a try.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:01:43 am by Zuglarkun »

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 11:20:24 am »

@Zuglarkun that's good to know. I will give it a shot. I tried forbidding, but I didn't leave it one for a super long time. It would certainly be easier to find slow dwarves and forbid the stuff they're carrying instead of going through and draft them all and then figuring out where they dropped their crap and forbidding it. That's the kind of tedium that makes DF not-so-much fun for me.

Arvoitusmies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 06:30:03 pm »

Wait for dfhack.
You don't have to wait if you just compile the develop branch yourself. It's working perfectly.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 03:28:56 am »

Just as a follow-up, putting chests in rooms seemed to help with some things. Particularly those who were carrying around massive numbers of toys. Once they got a chest, they put them all safely in their rooms. However, chests and forbidding didn't seem to have any affect on other things like wheelbarrows or pots. My dwarf with 12 pots added one more and is now lugging 13 around with him everywhere he goes. I also lost a dwarf to this. After leaving my civilian alert on for a long time I closed off one of my cavern levels assuming I had given sufficient time for everyone to get out. Later I got the "So-and-so has been missing for over a week." I found him and his 8 pots later in the cavern. He must have been far away and never made it to the door on time.

Am I the only one experiencing this? Is it a known issue that Toady is working on? Maybe I'll have to figure out how to leave a bug report.