Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 507

Author Topic: Red Moons Academy - Describe Your Morning in Amazing Detail - [IC THREAD]  (Read 183666 times)

Bluexdog

• Bay Watcher
  • Most likely in the RTD section
    • View Profile
Re: Red Moons Academy - Prepare Your Classload - [IC THREAD]
« Reply #5280 on: January 13, 2016, 08:40:38 pm »

"....." Magnus heads to the library
No sig yet

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: January 13, 2016, 10:33:23 pm »

"I'll do that."

"Excellent! Is there anything else you wanted to talk to? If not, I'll leave you to your reading."

"Well, sounds like a lovely way to get murdered by ghosts. So no, of course I'm getting cold feet at all!"
Strange as it might sound, there isn't actually a hint of sarcasm in his voice. Presumably they head off into the library.

"That's the spirit."

The pair of them head into the library, which is in the Greyson wing and is thus rather impressive looking. It has two stories, with plenty of old-world charm that is lost on the students within it. Sens leads them up to the second floor of the library and to a section conveniently marked 'maps'.

"We're looking for a map of the grounds, right? I'll check the index and you can search the shelves or something. It should all be clearly labelled, we just need to find what they labelled it as."

Ray presumably gets a fix on the building and tries to open a gate to there.

Ray can just see the academy from where he is and tries to open a gate there.

[??] Ray manages to open a gate to another part of the forest. Thankfully, through sheer dumb luck or something else, said gate opens on one of the maintained trails. The trail is well-marked out with coloured dots on the occasional tree and in the distance he can see a signpost that probably points the way to the school. How convenient.

((Going to need USEC to tell me whether or not there are stores inside the academy.))

((There's a student store, run by students, for students, from students. It sells supplies like toilet paper and hygiene products, as well as snack foods, clothes and anything else students might want or need during their stay. All profits go towards paying the student staff or various events held throughout the year.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: January 13, 2016, 10:39:11 pm »

"Sounds good!"
Time to break out the bolded text!

Assuming it is reasonably well organized, all the school maps should be in the same place. Search for general maps of the grounds and maps of areas of buildings or areas that were not mentioned in the tour. Look for ones with foreign names or which mention hiking or canoeing.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: January 13, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »

Aine heads to the library
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: January 13, 2016, 11:06:31 pm »

((There's a student store, run by students, for students, from students. It sells supplies like toilet paper and hygiene products, as well as snack foods, clothes and anything else students might want or need during their stay. All profits go towards paying the student staff or various events held throughout the year.))
((I really hope the toilet paper's pretty damn amazing and not just that the school neglects to provide the dorms with toilet paper :P))

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: January 13, 2016, 11:40:26 pm »

"Sounds good!"
Time to break out the bolded text!

Assuming it is reasonably well organized, all the school maps should be in the same place. Search for general maps of the grounds and maps of areas of buildings or areas that were not mentioned in the tour. Look for ones with foreign names or which mention hiking or canoeing.

The bolded text is broken out as the pair start searching for maps of the school grounds. It doesn't take long as the library is fairly well organized, even if it hasn't advanced into the computer age yet. The earliest map is from 1999 but appears to be accurate for the most part. It shows the academy, the dorms, the Arena, the ominous shack (labelled simply as maintenance), and all of the outbuildings that form the school proper. The trails closest to the school are mapped out as well in good detail, but after a certain point the mapmakers went for a more general approach of laying things out. Judging by how little effort was put into it, they copied the the layout from earlier maps which puts their accuracy in doubt. Unfortunately, the areas which have the least detail also comprise 90+% of the grounds and the parts of the forest that they're interested in.

Of note are several cabins and sites for camps hesitantly marked out in the wilderness, along with some shaky trails connecting them. Judging by the way that the trails are laid out, Kendall could probably infer that some unlabelled points of interest lurk in the wilderness too. Also of note is a purple line that separates the grounds into two chunks. The smaller chunk corresponds to the well-mapped areas of Red Moons, while the larger one encompasses the wilderness. The purple line is simply labelled as 'Barrier' in the legend and it doesn't take a genius to realize what its purpose is.

"Is this everything we need? I took a look at the other maps and they all seem to be similar from what I can tell. Unfortunately the maps they made when they first surveyed the land for the Academy is in Special Reserve, so we can't access them without permission from a teacher or librarian. I have a hunch that they'll tell us more than we'll find here; the problem is getting access to them."

Aine heads to the library

Aine is now in the library. How wonderful.

((I really hope the toilet paper's pretty damn amazing and not just that the school neglects to provide the dorms with toilet paper :P))

((They provide institutional toilet paper. So it's the first part, I'm afraid. Best to pick up some proper toilet paper at the store ASAP.))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: January 13, 2016, 11:42:10 pm »

hello anyone here?
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: January 13, 2016, 11:51:51 pm »

((Obviously the forests are filled with incredibly muscular, hyper-macho elven luchadores, who are mentally filtered out by everyone else as they are incapable of perceiving such beings. The people who died just accidentally ran into the ring and ended up as collateral damage.))
"Probably worth a shot to try asking the librarian."
Kendall nods, tracing a finger along the better defined paths before running it across the trails, picturing a line or curve that connects the points in which each trail begin to lose detail and mentally compares the resulting shape to the shape of the barrier. He also checks if there are any good trails that go along the river.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:54:38 pm by Empiricist »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:38 am »

hello anyone here?

People are indeed in the library. They ignore Aine as he pierces the peace and quiet of the place.

"Probably worth a shot to try asking the librarian."
Kendall nods, tracing a finger along the better defined paths before running it across the trails, picturing a line or curve that connects the points in which each trail begin to lose detail and mentally compares the resulting shape to the shape of the barrier. He also checks if there are any good trails that go along the river.

"And what reason would we give for wanting to see it? They don't call it Special Reserve for nothing. You only get access to it if it's the lynchpin of your project or someone important comes along to study it. They don't trust us not to ruin them."

The shape of the Barrier pretty much corresponds to the shape of the detailed parts of the map as expected. The surveyors obviously did not go through the Barrier when they were working. The only part of the map which is labelled as a river has trails running along each side of it. They meander instead of following the waters perfectly but should be fine for whatever Kendall has in mind.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: January 14, 2016, 12:26:44 am »

Dave leads Esi out of the forest... surprisingly easily. Occasionally he pauses and looks around before going in the right direction again. He heads for the receptionist.
Missed that. Cecelia greets them with her usual smile.

"To make sure we don't get killed by homicidal ghosts. It isn't like we're going to use it for more than five minutes or so, just make sure that the other maps are accurate enough, maybe take a few photos of it. No need to touch it even. Or are they that protective of those things?"

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: January 14, 2016, 12:27:43 am »

"We're looking for a telepath."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: January 14, 2016, 12:30:19 am »

"Miss Mira, the Dormitory Supervisor is one."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: January 14, 2016, 12:31:25 am »

"Oh. Where is she?"

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: January 14, 2016, 12:33:40 am »

"According to her timetable, she should be somewhere around <insert location here>"

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: January 14, 2016, 12:35:16 am »

Dave nods and leads the way to the location.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 507