Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress mode for other races?  (Read 3336 times)

Superstick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fortress mode for other races?
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:55:54 pm »

I know the game's called Dwarf Fortress but I wonder if the idea of having other races establish their own fortress would be too much of a stretch? It would offer a new variety of ways to play. Each race has their own pros and cons as they would in Adventurer mode.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress mode for other races?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »

That is planned.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:20:55 am »

That is planned.
Notably, it's planned as something extra that might be done once the game is pretty much just fully complete. It is planned though, and for a distant enough future that discussing it now is kind of pointless.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:42:26 am »

It's possible to mod it in. See masterwork.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 01:26:13 am »

the first, greatest and only mod that will ever matter for dwarf fortress

illiousintahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:52:59 am »

Urgh! sounds like that dwarves gotten himself into some sort of fey mood. better get the dog's onto him 'fore we're swimming Elf blood again... No wait I quite liked swimming in Elf blood.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:27:35 am »

the first, greatest and only mod that will ever matter for dwarf fortress

Or alternatively the All Races Playable mod, which focuses on this aspect specifically.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »

You can actually tweak the Raw files easily and do this now. You just need to find the entity file, scroll down to humans, and add something like [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to them. Just check the wiki page on humans. Apparently this works for elves and goblins too.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:09:24 am »

So, now that we've established Toady does plan to have all sites playable one day, and that you can kind of give it a go under the current mechanics fairly easily, what extra is needed to make a proper human site playable?

Cities are pretty massive (wide) compared to fortresses and still need z levels going up and to a certain extent down (sewers and dungeons) so probably would need a 64 bit DF just to embark without crashing.

Perhaps the ability to zoom out to a wider site view to manage the surrounding fields and such that make up most of the space?

One thing which needs to be changed is buildings. Under Dwarf rules you have to micro-manage building walls and a roof around every outside workshop, humans should do that automatically but give the player the tools to design more exciting buildings manually.

What Fun should a human site have besides invasions? They won't be digging too deep, so not as many underground nasties except the occasional one coming up from the dungeon. Perhaps a detailed crime system with gangs and bandits playing a bigger part of gameplay. Do human lawgivers even design dungeons? Or are they built under your feet by unknown forces while you're busy growing crops...?

Human/elf/goblin fortress is a long way off so there's time to implement all the systems necessary before it becomes a thing but I don't think discussing the far future of the game is a bad thing. Toady needs to design systems to be fairly future proof so ideas now will only help development.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 03:42:44 am »

I've made a fairly version-independant mod for Elf Mode (there's a couple glitches but it still works pretty well given that it's raw-only) and afaik humans have the necessary positions and such that they're pretty simple to make playable. They might share a problem with playable goblins in not having militia commanders and stuff automatically, idr. Biggest thing is ensuring the playable civ has the reactions that you want them to have (for smelting, mostly) and the positions to handle stuff like bookkeeping and militias. Everything past that is flavor.

I should probably update that thread, actually...
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Catmeat

• Bay Watcher
  • 50/50 cat pork burger wth sweet lime sauce is best
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 05:42:54 am »

Like said above, its really easy to mod in.
My brother showed me and now I can do it myself. Its very easy.
But not all races can do/make the same objects.
Humans cant make steel
Puns are social lubricant.
Too much and you lose sensation