Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military won't equip armour  (Read 2934 times)

Lierik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Military won't equip armour
« on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:09 am »

Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to this so I am sorry for what is probably an easy question. I just can't get my dwarves to wear the iron armour I made them. I made a barracks and all the armour first, iron maces and shields too. I put rock coffers in the barracks in case they need somewhere for their stuff. I went to the metal uniform and changed it so they would use my iron maces instead of a free choice and I set it so they have to replace clothes and don't need exact matches.

Then I made a squad and set them to the metal uniform In the first box that comes up. Then I went to the barracks and set that squad to sleep train and store individual and squad equipment there. I went to schedules and set 8 Dwarves to train there. I also made the dwarves active on the squad screen. I looked at the equip screen and I see that they have the green icon by metal.

When they set off to train they go and pick up food and water and the maces and the shields, but not a scrap of armour.

On a side note they then never spar and just do demos or individual practice, if that helps people to know what I've done wrong.

I have watched lots of clips and read all the guides I could find. I don't know how to fix this and I'd love to play this game. Please help.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military won't equip armour
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:28:01 am »

The sparring has always been iffy but even more so in the new version. Don't worry about it, they'll train anyway. In the last update training was a bit too fast so now it's been nerfed and it takes quite a long time for them to get good at it.

The best way to train is to armor your dwarves and send them out to kill things, whatever there is around.

As for the armor, it can take a bit of time for them to get it but it shouldn't be a problem. Make the armor and a barracks set for that squad to train and then wait, no need for coffers or setting sleep, individual equipment or anything like that. Go to the military screen, press "e" and if they have all green icons next to the equipment you set, it should be fine.

In the last update, 42.02, there was a bug where they wouldn't equip but the green ticks didn't show up in the military screen.

Lierik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 05:49:12 am »

Thanks for the quick reply! so I can see now it looks like they just have he green icon next to the weapon and shield. Do you know what's gone wrong?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:05:52 am by Lierik »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:11:04 am »

Ok forget this post. Not very helpful. Shouldn't walk and forum at the same time.
*Blam - walks into a lamp post...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:16:05 am by Shonai_Dweller »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:41:11 am »

When they set off to train they go and pick up food and water and the maces and the shields, but not a scrap of armour.

This sounds like 0.42.01 or 0.42.02.  If you're playing 0.42.03 they should be getting the helms, mail shirts and leggings.  (You did make helms, mail shirts and leggings, right?  And assigned those in their uniform?)

In 0.42.03 they will assign high boots and gauntlets, but won't wear them in the default "over clothing" configuration because they conflict with civilian clothing (gloves and shoes).  You can modify the boots raws to fix the boots, but for the gloves/gauntlets the only workaround I know is to change them to "replace clothing".  Just like in 0.40 and earlier.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 01:23:12 pm »

Yeah, replace clothing is kind of important. My dwarves will wear all the armor except for boots if I don't turn on replace clothing.

Check them out with "v", put the cursor over the dwarf, press "i" and check their inventory. Maybe they're wearing armor and you didn't notice it.

Lierik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:19:06 pm »

Thanks for the help! I'm all sorted now. I was using an old version.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 04:53:58 am »

It's irrelevant to the topic, but you're probably going to want wooden shields rather than iron ones. The only benefit is a slight improvement to shield based attacks from useless to maybe potentially decent, which isn't worth the extra weight and cost of iron compared to wood. Quality matters most though, and wooden shields can just be spammed until you get masterworks most of the time.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Lierik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 06:19:31 am »

Good advice Thanks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 06:45:07 am »

And, on that note, feather-wood shields is the way to go if you can.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 08:27:32 pm »

Not quite. The heavier, the better the shield bash. Unless your dwarves need all the speed they can get.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 09:21:23 pm »

I'd take speed over a firmer shield bash any day, but that's just me.  (In 0.34 and earlier, it was no contest -- their speed affected both movement and fighting.  In 0.40 I believe that was changed.  But still.  Slow = dead.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:05:38 pm »

But it's "a small enough difference to be min-maxy" (read that somewhere on the dorf mode forums), and really, tis like this:

0.000001 (speed) - 0.01 (shieldbash) for your suggestion and

-0.000001 (speed) + 0.01 (shieldbash) for my suggestion.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!