Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Library woes with Bookcases!  (Read 5828 times)

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
Library woes with Bookcases!
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:08:15 pm »

So, I have a nicely functioning Tavern, complete with bandstand, snack bar, etc., etc., etc.  I also have a nicely working Temple, with band rotunda & individual shrines (sub-temples?) off the main non-denominational area.

But the Library is giving me nothing but grief!   :'(  (FWIW, it was originally designated as a meeting hall from the 'I' (zone) function.  Also, this is the 3rd game I've had exactly the same problems with...)

It contains:
 - a scholar and scribe
 - tables & chairs
 - half-a-dozen bags'n'coffers
 - NO bookcases.   

In my external 'S'heets stockpile I have some 30 or 40 different sheets; I've also traded for a couple of dozen codices.  Of which precisely *4* have ended up in my library. the rest have ended up as personal property.

So far, NO writing materials have been fetched from the 'S'heet stockpile to the coffers and I cannot find any option whatsoever to construct a Bookcase.  Not in my Craft shops, Carpenters or Glassworks.

I'm assuming that until I build a bookcase my Library isn't considered fully functional & the scholar/scribe/whoever won't start fetching writing materials until it is.  But I also thought that all it took to trigger the Build Bookcase option was to "have" a codex??

Are there any other materials needed?  Ink?  Quills?  Do I need to use a Craftsdwarf to make Scroll or Quire from the Sheets before they're write-upponable?

Or should I simply cut my losses and add a magma chamber for the purposes of !Science!?

"I think, therefore I...  *sniff sniff* ...smell something burning?  My !socks!"

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Library woes with Bookcases!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:21:03 am »

I'm pretty sure you need Quires and Scrolls.  Loose sheets aren't finished enough to use yet.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:32:59 am »

Your !!sock!! is probably on fire...

Bookcases can be made by the carpenter and in the glass smelter at least, and I think they can be forged and made by masons as well. If you can't make these there is something wrong with your save/raws (I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work with an upgraded 0.40.24 save, for instance, but that doesn't seem to be your case).

As Talanic said, quires or scrolls are needed for writing, and they go into the containers, while the written stuff (locally produced or acquired from caravans) go into the bookcases (or the hands of the dorfs reading them). Paper is converted into quires in the craftdwarf shop (I haven't tried scrolls). There is currently no such things as ink or quills, though.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:59:58 am »

OK...  I'd already made a few scrolls 'n quires on a suck it and see basis but nothing changed; still no options to make bookcases. 

I always gen new worlds for new versions... had too many problems in the past trying to carry over old saves, no matter how masterwork they were.  ;)

The only add-on I'm using is the updated Phoebus' tile set.  As it's possible that has bent the raws, I'll unpack a fresh DF and see how that goes.  Should've done it earlier, but was hoping 'twas just a case of user error.

Thx.

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 03:33:25 am »

Bookcases are made in the Craftdwarf's workshop, not at the masons. Rock bookcases should be next to rock toys.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 07:14:04 am »

As others have said, bookcases are made at either a forge or a craftsdwarf workshop.

Here is the order of events:

Sheets (purchased or made) become ->
Quires (reaction takes place at a Craftsdwarf's Workshop) and is stored in ->
Chests in the Library, until a scholar/scribe writes on them, at which point they will be stored in ->
Bookcases.

You can then take the written-on quire and (again at the Craftsdwarf Workshop) produce either a scroll (with scroll rollers, made in the same shop) or books (bookbindings [same workshop] + thread).  Scrolls and codices are stored on bookcases as well.

Make sense?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:51:55 am »

Bookcases can also be made at a carpenter's workshop.

And yes, you need lots and lots of quires and/or scrolls (as made at a craftdwarf workshop) before people will start writing on them. You can't create a Codex until you have a quire that's been written on: no such thing as a blank codex.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 11:18:05 am »

Come to think of it, I haven't gone into the build menus to try to build bookcases that way at all.  Does your manager screen have bookcases?  That's how I built all of mine.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 11:31:13 am »

Come to think of it, I haven't gone into the build menus to try to build bookcases that way at all.  Does your manager screen have bookcases?  That's how I built all of mine.

I generally don't bother with the manager, because they botch up my method for assigning tasks to workshops and gum up the works by sending tasks to places where they can't be made. I'm at work, so I can't open up the game right now to check if it's visible there.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 01:50:16 pm »

Just checked so you can double-check against this when you have time:

Craftsdwarf's workshop, under Rock, one from the bottom, just above Rock Toy.
Carpenter's workshop, fifth one from the bottom, just above Wooden Pipe Section.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 03:21:12 pm »

I made all of my bookcases out of green glass (sand) at a Magma Glass Furnace.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 09:21:04 pm »

Wood at a carpenters shop. It feels like home.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 10:40:10 pm »

I use stone. Its economical and more dwarfy.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 12:28:36 am »

I use stone. Its economical and more dwarfy.

Wood is for the elves! True dorfs only use logs for ash and charcoal. One of these days, dwarven science will finally discover the secret behind making stone beds. Probably before we discover the secret of making those mythical loaves of "solid beer" the humans use to make "sandwiches."