Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did I just accidentally atom smash one of my dwarves?  (Read 1193 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Did I just accidentally atom smash one of my dwarves?
« on: December 20, 2015, 09:59:31 pm »

So, right after the dwarven caravan leaves, I forbid the bridge used to access the depot and order the lever to be pulled. At the same time the bridge goes up, four masterpieces suddenly are lost.

A couple days later, a migrant wave arrives. I check my population, and notice that there are six dead/missing instead of the normal five.

One of my fisherdwarves are missing, he wasn't missing a few days ago.

Alternative theory:

The bridge in question is right above a four Z-level deep moat. If the bridge raised up from underneath my dwarf, and he fell into the moat, is he considered missing because nobody saw him fall?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Did I just accidentally atom smash one of my dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 10:09:54 pm »

The masterpieces were lost. That only happens when they are destroyed, not actually lost = it's somewhere, but we don't know where. So he must have been atomsmashed, as falling into a pit does NOT destroy masterpieces. (Excluding, of course, said pit being an "eerily glowing" one. HFS...)

Do you have a legendary clothier/leatherworker/dyer/weaver? Or a very skilled one, such that most of your dwarves have four masterpiece items on them?

Missing means dead. They died without any other dwarf seeing them, so their deaths were not recorded by your dwarves.

A "couple days later" - less than two weeks, no? Wait two weeks, and if the message "Urist McFisherdwarf has been missing for two weeks", that's a sign that he's dead.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 10:16:45 pm »

The masterpieces were lost. That only happens when they are destroyed, not actually lost = it's somewhere, but we don't know where. So he must have been atomsmashed, as falling into a pit does NOT destroy masterpieces. (Excluding, of course, said pit being an "eerily glowing" one. HFS...)

Do you have a legendary clothier/leatherworker/dyer/weaver? Or a very skilled one, such that most of your dwarves have four masterpiece items on them?

Missing means dead. They died without any other dwarf seeing them, so their deaths were not recorded by your dwarves.

A "couple days later" - less than two weeks, no? Wait two weeks, and if the message "Urist McFisherdwarf has been missing for two weeks", that's a sign that he's dead.

1. Two of the masterworks were from a dwarf who was both a master weaponsmith and legendary armorsmith, one was from a legendary carpenter, and the other was from a legendary leatherworker.

2. So he's dead, then. I guess I'll get a slab made.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 10:42:21 pm »

Yeah you did. While atom smashing usually involves dropping the bridge on the dwarves head, if you raise a bridge while the dwarf is standing on one of the tiles that turns into a wall when the bridge is raised, it crushes them (unlike just flinging them like standing on any other tile when the bridge is raised does). I've killed a kitten and a few children that way.

They stay "Missing" forever because their body doesn't exist anymore for anyone to find.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 10:43:22 pm »

Was the dwarf a militiadwarf?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

infrequentLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 11:09:14 am »

Perhaps a masterwork bin with 2 masterwork something metals in it who was wearing masterwork leather boots?
Bugs from Normal Games: "The game stutters for six seconds before crashing."
Bugs from Broken Games: "The lighting is weird and the characters have no faces."
Bugs from Dwarf Fortress: "The horses outnumber us. I have seen settlements with a thousand horses to a man. I have seen them in the deepest caverns. They are everywhere. Liberate te ex equus."