Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf being brought water on the job  (Read 1156 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Dwarf being brought water on the job
« on: December 19, 2015, 10:17:44 am »

I just noticed one of my dwarves had a 'give water' job. I wondered why, since there's no injured or imprisoned dwarves or guests anywhere in my fort.

So I (f)ollowed the dwarf. It brought a bucket of water to a dwarf that was busy brewing booze at the still. It did not interrupt the brewing job, and my brewer now has a "she feels satisfied after recieving water" thought, and the water bringer has a "feels sympathy after giving somebody water" thought, and a green "feels unfettered after helping somebody" in the distractions part of the thoughts screen.

So apparently dwarves that get too distracted by not being able to help someone will just randomly bring water to a thristy dwarf to satisfy their empathic need.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf being brought water on the job
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 06:13:11 pm »

What was the water deliveres role/position/enabled labours? Was it a tavern keeper? Did you have booze available? Barrels or mugs?
I've been getting "cancels deliver water - no buckets" spam in a recent fort; I had no buckets at all, but I also had plenty of booze stockpiled, mugs, and a tavern keeper. I checked dwarf therapists health screen, and the thirsty tags didn't stick around long, so they've been getting booze. I'm still having trouble getting tavern keepers to deliver drinks regularly, and my fort is littered with mugs all over my tavern floors and hallways.
It seems that when a dwarf gets thirsty while working, a deliver water job is generated before a serve alcohol job is, or before they go to the tavern to request alcohol (I'm still not sure on the job structure there).  Eventually my dwarves finish their work and get served alcohol, but they don't go to the tavern to get it, the tavern keeper just walks through the whole fort to them.  Now I'm starting to worry that thirsty dwarves may get water brought to them instead of getting alcohol when they're thirsty. That seems like a lot of potential happy thoughts from alcohol that they'd be missing out on.
Sorry for bringing up so much else there, but it looks to me like a related problem; deliver water and serve drinks seem closely related, but the priorities are out of whack.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

HiddenEyes056

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh my gosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:31:46 am »

I've been having this happen plenty in my fortress. It's not really becoming a problem, except for when my dwarves sit there and complain that all the buckets are in use.

My actual problem with 'helpful' dwarves is when they 'rescue' my dwarves from the tavern, dragging them all the way to the hospital. The dwarves appear to keep drinking all the way to the hospital while being carried, which, while hilarious, means they're not even being saved from the booze.

Perhaps dwarves are too helpful now?
So basically the Mountainhomes is now sending complimentary cheese dip with every caravan.
A named spider who died centuries before I even played was helping rescue kids I had in fact rescued.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:35:33 am »

Heh.

I had a dwarf carry a goblet full of wine all the way to the hospital, where he constructed the well.  Then he complained that he was thirsty and went to the tavern.  Never mind that he was already carrying a drink...
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 06:49:54 am »

I just noticed one of my dwarves had a 'give water' job. I wondered why, since there's no injured or imprisoned dwarves or guests anywhere in my fort.

So I (f)ollowed the dwarf. It brought a bucket of water to a dwarf that was busy brewing booze at the still. It did not interrupt the brewing job, and my brewer now has a "she feels satisfied after recieving water" thought, and the water bringer has a "feels sympathy after giving somebody water" thought, and a green "feels unfettered after helping somebody" in the distractions part of the thoughts screen.

So apparently dwarves that get too distracted by not being able to help someone will just randomly bring water to a thristy dwarf to satisfy their empathic need.

DF isn't just a misery simulator. Its also achieved a new level where it simulates the inevitable solidarity of beings forced to exist within that misery simulator, and the hilarious associated consequences of dysfunction when you try to help but don't do much good (see drinking all the way to the hospital).

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 07:38:28 am »

This water giving thing is hardly new. So I don't think its a function of the newly taverns being wonky. But it is still pretty good to have, as it gives good thoughts for the parties involved. Seems like the new version also adds a level of distraction for dwarves based on OP's report.

It doesn't really matter whether this behavior is truly helpful, as the dwarves are acting on their impulses to fulfill their needs. I've had overzealously helpful dwarves "rescue" other cave adapted dwarf farmers from exposure to the sun, and they will carry the poor bugger all the way to the hospital while the poor vomiting farmer has a armful of produce in hand.