Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I haven't played since 40d. What do I need to know?  (Read 3617 times)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I haven't played since 40d. What do I need to know?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 11:58:52 pm »

That reminds me... A mother carrying her infant that goes into a fell mood will turn that baby into an artifact... Like dwarf baby gloves (so smooth, they are to die for!) However, creating an artifact is more happiness than murdering your own kid and wearing his remains is stressful...

Comedic sociopathy, what DF is truly about!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:06 am »

That reminds me... A mother carrying her infant that goes into a fell mood will turn that baby into an artifact... Like dwarf baby gloves (so smooth, they are to die for!) However, creating an artifact is more happiness than murdering your own kid and wearing his remains is stressful...

Comedic sociopathy, what DF is truly about!

Omfg that sounds amazing

Please let this never be fixed :D
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 06:40:32 pm »

Yup, dorfs that roll a fell mood (due to unhappiness) will grab the nearest Urist they come across and kill them.  Their remains then become an artifact SOMETHING (either bone or leather).  There have been dwarf bone beds, dwarf bone bins, dwarf leather trousers... And since mother's always carry their infant for the first year of its life, said infant will -always- be the closest dorf to use in a fell mood.  Talk about post-partem depression...

Oh, an unhappy dorf can also go into a macabre mood, which will take an already dead thing and make an artifact.  Only the fell mood kills a dorf in hte process.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 07:20:05 pm »

Lots and lots of changes... combat system has been revamped, body parts are different, poison and syndromes are in, there are lots of new industries (most of them are only middling useful though), map design is completely different, HFS has been drastically changed, there are 3 caverns under you and then a magma sea and then Hidden Fun Stuff, caverns , have trees, water and plants, cavern creatures are far more numerous and not at a fixed number, there are lots of new creatures and plants and underground creatures, far more stones are magma-safe (its not only bauxite). And lately you can make

Oh and caverns have randomized monsters in them, called forgotten beasts. They will kill your fort if they can. Some are *very deadly* with clouds of randomized syndromes.

Also 40d humanoid titans have been replaced with random monsters, like forgotten beasts but aboveground. Those appear way later than FB's.

Chasms (both the canyon-like ones and the deep pit ones) are no longer a thing (Just dump stuff into the magma sea). Cave rivers, cave pools and magma pools are RIP as well. Same for magma. No underground map features- well, there are some but there are mostly the same. Occasionally there are magma pipes in the caverns... or deep pits connecting one cavern to another.

But overall the diversity of underground has been reduced, which is a bit sad, however you ALWAYS get the same underground stuff.

Also, carp will no longer murder you. Nor will hippos. However, you will hate the kea family soon enough.

Oh and werebeasts are a thing. They usually attack you before you have a military, and their bite infects dwarves; the infected dwarves will turn into MORE werebeasts.

They are obnoxious but not too dangerous.

Also vampires... those are more stealthy and you may just not get some. they happen with migrants and hide in your pop.

finally in the new version, you can make locations (temples, libraries, taverns) and they'll attract worldgen figures. Also they make your dwarves happier, so they can pray/read/socialize/get drunk/sing/etc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:24:34 pm by Naryar »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 10:02:23 pm »

Ahh, bauxite! I remember when it was the only magma-safe stone. Didn't that go away in 31.XX?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2015, 12:44:11 am »

Man, we have... 15? magma safe stones now.  They are in a rainbow of colors too! All forms of glass are also magma-proof.  Nickel has limited magma-safe uses, but can be made into floodgates and minecarts.  Iron and steel, naturally.  There are probably a few others.  Nethercap is -technically- magma safe, but I think nethercap minecarts and items still melt in it (bug, probably?)

All in all, its something like 30+ total materials (including some metal ores that are magma safe where their metals are not).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 01:53:03 am »

Ahh, bauxite! I remember when it was the only magma-safe stone. Didn't that go away in 31.XX?

Magma-safe is now a property of melting point. So now MANY rocks are magma-safe!
However, the diversity and amount of ore means that you'll probably be using steel for most magma-safe things. Especially minecarts.

Minecarts are a thing now. Automated hauling. And it can be almost fully automated, with rollers pushing carts around. Or workers pushing them, or guiding them.
Wheelbarrows can be assigned to stockpiles so the new, heavier stones don't slow hauling way down.
Stones are heavier, and you only get one from every so many blocks mined out. Of anything. That's no longer dependent on mining skill, so skill only controls SPEED of mining. This, along with the weight and slowness, means you'll want to turn them into blocks. And to lay off the stonecrafting in favour of light, renewable bones, because stone is rare.

My preferred system is to have the stone hauled by wheelbarrow to a stockpile surrounding a mason's workshop, which then takes it for crafting. You can also have a minecart fed from a similar stockpile (fed by wheelbarrows) to quantum stockpile rocks.
WITHOUT DUMPING THEM.
This is incredibly powerful. You can haul ores around in minecarts, and quantum-pile them at the smelters. You can quantum-pile the bars near the forges.

For forging and smelting, you've got the Magma Sea. Way down deep below the caverns, there's a sea of magma. This is incredibly useful. You can pump it up (or minecart it up) for defenses and Fun. Or you can build the forges and smelters on it, and minecart the ores down there to it.
Or just drop them down a big shaft, but that's lethal to anything underneath because falling objects cause actual damage now.

The military is HARD now. You need to run through the menus to even get them to don armour and train, let alone fight when you tell them. There's no setting up a barracks and leaving them for a year or two to gain experience before giving them weapons to train with. You've also got training weapons to prevent the classic issue of limb loss while sparring without experience. They're made of wood, and do hardly any damage.

Obsidian casting is now USEFUL. Stones are heavy, and scarcer than before. So, you need a renewable source. Magma is infinite, and water can be infinite with a brook, so you can get dwarfy. Cast obsidian in situ, or in a farm to be mined out. Haul it out with wheelbarrows and minecarts. Craft/block it. And it's still valuable!

Butchery gives LOTS of materials now. Slaughtered animals virtually explode into a pile of meat, organs, bones, and tissues. Most of which can be eaten. However, this is balanced by grazing. Either set up surface pastures or pop open the caverns and dig out soil/muddy floors underground for fungus-soils to grow for fodder. An animal needs plenty of space, though, or they fight. And then starve to death. The bigger the animal, the more space and fodder they need.
Related to that, you can now shear and milk creatures for wool and milk. This can be processed into cloth and cheese respectively. No more futzing about with maggots! Llama cheese roasts for everyone! Llama wool socks!
And yes, llamas. The elves bring them. They're good for milk, they can be sheared, there's plenty of meat on them, and they're actually pretty vicious. Camels are another good choice, but with less shearing.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 03:33:11 pm »

You've also got training weapons to prevent the classic issue of limb loss while sparring without experience. They're made of wood, and do hardly any damage.

I have never seen sparring with "real" weapons cause injury.  Dwarves always just tap each other with their weapons while sparring.  The only sparring injuries I've heard of are caused by wrestling throws -- a dwarf goes flying, hits a wall head-first, and the wall wins.

The bigger the animal, the more space and fodder they need.

I don't have numbers at this point, but grazing seems to have been rebalanced.  I've put several large animals (yaks, cows, water buffalo) in a modest 10x10 underground soil pasture and had absolutely no problems with them starving, or fighting each other.  This wouldn't have worked in older versions.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 04:49:29 pm »

I have never seen sparring with "real" weapons cause injury.  Dwarves always just tap each other with their weapons while sparring.  The only sparring injuries I've heard of are caused by wrestling throws -- a dwarf goes flying, hits a wall head-first, and the wall wins.

Back in 40d, you had to train them to legendary wrestler first so they'd be able to dodge worth a damn, before assigning them to be an axedorf/hammerdorf/swordsdorf/speardorf. Otherwise they would literally lop each other's limbs off in training due to inexperience.

Pasturing has definitely been rebalanced, but I've suffered skill rust from DF2012. However, OP hasn't played since 40d, which was when I forged most of my DF skill.
It's also where I learned never to hook an entire map's water supply together, because it murders FPS.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 02:33:42 pm »

Magma-safe is now a property of melting point. So now MANY rocks are magma-safe!
Magma-safe has always been a property of melting point - the only reason it changed in 0.31 is because Toady added realistic melting points to all of the different types of rocks.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]