Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tavern Guests. Questions.  (Read 2142 times)

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tavern Guests. Questions.
« on: December 18, 2015, 06:52:42 pm »

I am currently in my forts 24 year (Jikes, allready?) I have had a tavern zone for atleast 14 of those, tavern got tables, thrones, 2 artifact chains, mugs and chests. 2 tavernkeepers and a performer. (and a few instruments).. My dwarfs hang out there, the Human diplomat hangs out there. Why do it not atrack guests?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am in trading distance whit humans (blue on the map), raid distance of the goblins (green on map), My fort is the red one on lower left.
There seem to be a tower in range too. acording to legends viewer, there are plenty of lairs and caves close to me too.

Other atracting zones are some bad librarys, (one for originals, one for medics to learn, and one that will keep copys).
3 temples, 1 generic, 2 to the most prayed for divinitys. not of impressing quality. as they are avaiting statues of gods. (for RP reason I do not use statues of flies that my dwarves hate, and love to make anyways, dwarves rigth? ;) )

Any advice. or am I just doomed to no visitors unless  I move?

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tavern Guests. Questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 07:08:53 pm »

Your image link is broken, for me at least.

About your Tavern's lack of visitors, though -- how did you define it? With the key as a zone, or from a building?  I think you need to define with the {I} zone method for some things to work properly.

Apart from that, check the {L}ocation settings on your Tavern, there's an option to specify who is allowed to use a location and maybe you inadvertently set it to allow fortress Citizens & Residents Only instead of "All Are Welcome"?

--nomad_delta

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 07:11:05 pm »

Your image link is broken, for me at least.

About your Tavern's lack of visitors, though -- how did you define it? With the key as a zone, or from a building?  I think you need to define with the {I} zone method for some things to work properly.

Apart from that, check the {L}ocation settings on your Tavern, there's an option to specify who is allowed to use a location and maybe you inadvertently set it to allow fortress Citizens & Residents Only instead of "All Are Welcome"?

--nomad_delta
Ups. Should have doublecheked that link.. https://www.dropbox.com/s/rnjf0hmp7ffrvm2/DF%20tavern%20question.jpg?dl=0 for the webpage its on.. (I really should not post at 01:00)

Zone is designated from the I key, Meeting zone. Tavern is open for all.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 07:17:35 pm »

Hmm, that is weird then.  You've never gotten any visitors at all, not a single one in the entire history of having public tavern/library/etc?  You do still get regular caravans from the humans and dwarves though? And goblin attacks?  That's wonky -- you might consider uploading your save to the bugtracker if no other explanation presents itself:

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/bug_report_page.php

--nomad_delta

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:26:31 pm »

Hmm, that is weird then.  You've never gotten any visitors at all, not a single one in the entire history of having public tavern/library/etc?  You do still get regular caravans from the humans and dwarves though? And goblin attacks?  That's wonky -- you might consider uploading your save to the bugtracker if no other explanation presents itself:

--nomad_delta
Thanks. will do after I sleep, so I might be able to figure out what category to go for.

Oh. and before someone asks. Yes. game was generated in 0.42.xx

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:16 pm »

On the subject of taverns...

Anyone else noticed that with a tavern, no dwarf will voluntarily use the dining hall?  Suddenly nobody wants to be in the lavish palace you built for them, instead preferring to hang out with the humans, elves, and peregrine falcon men in the vomit-encrusted tavern which only has 6 tables.  I put all those glass and gold tables downstairs for a reason, folks.  Just sayin'.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 10:09:41 pm »

Anyone else noticed that with a tavern, no dwarf will voluntarily use the dining hall?  Suddenly nobody wants to be in the lavish palace you built for them, instead preferring to hang out with the humans, elves, and peregrine falcon men in the vomit-encrusted tavern which only has 6 tables.  I put all those glass and gold tables downstairs for a reason, folks.  Just sayin'.
Which is why I overlap the tavern (with an i-zone) with the dining room. Dwarves all get their legendary dining room happy thoughts just fine. Except the dumbasses that think it's a great idea to grab food in the prison cells and eat it on the table there. But that's an old problem. I should just lock the prison doors when there's no prisoners.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:41:53 am »

Which is why I overlap the tavern (with an i-zone) with the dining room. Dwarves all get their legendary dining room happy thoughts just fine. Except the dumbasses that think it's a great idea to grab food in the prison cells and eat it on the table there. But that's an old problem. I should just lock the prison doors when there's no prisoners.

Or make the jailed bastards eat without tables like good prisoners!
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:17:14 pm »

Eh, most prisoners aren't deserving of prison. They're sent because of Nobles. Who need to be imprisoned themselves.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 11:14:38 pm »

Eh, most prisoners aren't deserving of prison. They're sent because of Nobles. Who need to be imprisoned themselves.
Yeah, or those damn overseers who neglect their needs, subject them to traumatic sights and drive them slowly insane. Not their fault if they're randomly attacking people in the hall. Lock up the overseer I say!

Or..nah, 30 days on a chain with no booze and hope the problem goes away. Much better!

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 06:47:44 am »

--nomad_delta
Little update. seems I had designated from just table as the game crashed for me back in .02 version before saving zone version. so now both table and I meeting zone. hope that fixes it..