Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bedrooms vs. Dormitories  (Read 9632 times)

LlamaLlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bedrooms vs. Dormitories
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »

I haven't build any rooms or beds in the last couple of migrant waves and dwarves are starting to get pissed. Which is better a dormitory or individual bedrooms? What's a good design for a bedroom/dormitory?

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms vs. Dormitories
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:40 pm »

dorms give the bad thought "slept without a proper room" instead of "slept on %insert groundmat here%"
slept without a proper room is a less bad thought then slept on xxx, but individual bedrooms are the best if you dont mind the repetitiveness of it

also sleeping in their own room gives them a happy thought

btw married couples share a room so if you have say 100 dwarves, you probably only need 90 rooms
if you used the orentation tag to mod them to marry more or less often you will need more or less rooms respectively

i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 03:47:18 pm »

The only + of dorms is the ability to find out vampire as soon as possible. Dormintoris + meeting zones, that is.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:27:04 pm »

Well.  I personally find dorms to be a good temporary solution.  I'll usually dig out some basic dorms quick and put in like 10 beds.  This should reduce the bad thoughts to a reasonable level while giving you some time to prepare other more pressing matters like food water booze and protection.  After that's in hand I usually circle back and dig out nicer bedrooms.  But this is just my playstyle.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 04:32:34 pm »

Always build at least a dorm.  It can double as your hospital so if you get around to building each dwarf an individual room it won't be a complete waste anyway.

Without a bedroom or dorm, dwarves sleep wherever they stand when they get sleepy.  This means they could fall asleep in dangerous areas, such as near wildlife or water flows.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:21 pm »

I usually always build a seven wide and fifteen high room next to my 15x15 dining hall (tavern centric) localized citizen public area. I just plonk a dorm in a 7x7 space queue up seven beds and leave it for a while to do other things leaving some additional space for constructions like temples or dining rooms/studies/barracks postings etc. Given that it will house all your embark dwarves and further migrants will sleep at different times, the initial seven beds fufills its purpose until you need to order a new row in your dorm to meet demand.

Dorms are great, but 5x5 purpose built family bedrooms are better if you ask me for convenience and pairing dwarves into manageable family units with the most minor amount of interior decorating required.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:14:54 pm »

Space is cheap, and dorfs need all the happiness they can get. Carving out individual rooms can be done in bulk, and helps train up miners. It can also double as exploratory mining.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 06:21:21 pm »

Don't forget engraver practice. Also masons and carpenters.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 06:36:49 pm »

With the inclusion of macros, I think individual rooms are a better solution to housing your population in the long term. Dormitories are good for handling overflow like migrants, but dwarves whine when they don't have their own rooms. Nice rooms also act as a buffer against tantrum spirals. That's just my playstyle, so do what works best for you.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 06:49:18 pm »

If your computer's bad, individual rooms will kill your framerate.  It does mine, but my wooden computer menaces with spikes of lag.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 08:14:18 pm »

If your computer's bad, individual rooms will kill your framerate.

Why are individual rooms worse for frame rate than dorms?  Are you referring to clothing/item storage?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 08:15:54 pm »

If I knew exactly why, I'd tell you.  I've heard it's the item storage code, but I've also heard there's some kind of code that tells dwarves to check out chests that they don't own.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 08:33:13 pm »

That's older than 3d.  :o Where'd you hear that? It's only referenced in 23a wiki.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 08:45:25 pm »

Must have seen it there, then. 

Regardless, I see a significant drop in my frame rate when I dig out and fill individual rooms for my dwarves.  It could be that that's when I hit critical mass of items for my particular machine's slowdown, or perhaps I'm digging too elaborately, but it's usually then that I'll walk away from a fort because it's too slow.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 09:01:33 pm »

Fairly recent discussion on this subject, you'll find some good info here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=154141.0
Pages: [1] 2