Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miasma popping out of nowhere?  (Read 2061 times)

DragonOfWar900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma popping out of nowhere?
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

So, i'm having a problem were the miasma bursts starting appearing out of nowhere in my fortress. I really can't say were is the source because they appear in random locations. It started happening when i killed a forgotten beast, but i don't know if that's the reason.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Miasma popping out of nowhere?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:54 pm »

Dwarves with rotting body parts.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 09:38:00 pm »

Miasma can also spring up in butcher workshops that haven't had any products moved away into storage, meaning you will need to deconstruct the workshop and dump the proceeds.

Assigning hospital areas (manned by medical dwarves with some coffers and supplies akin to tavern design) and a overlapping refuse and garbage dump (so it deteriorates at a accelerated rate) to try to correct.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:00:41 pm »

Miasma can also spring up in butcher workshops that haven't had any products moved away into storage, meaning you will need to deconstruct the workshop and dump the proceeds.

You don't have to deconstruct it.  You can use t to go into the workshop's inventory, and dump the items from there.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:41:54 pm »

Dwarves with rotting body parts.

This would be my guess. Probably someones nose rotting off.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 04:02:00 am »

I've had the problem with miasma coming from a couple of dogs who'd gotten a rotten leg each (I think they had been bitten by something poisonous), so it might not be a dorf.

When it comes to the butcher, normal refuse hauling will clear it out, eventually, provided you have a refuse stockpile to haul it to. I have the problem occasionally that hauling fresh butchery products out of the butchery (or food from the kitchen) is a lower priority task than hauling the rotting remains out. This tends to happen early on, when there is too much work and too little dorf power.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 04:22:35 pm »

I just build a food stockpile that only takes meat next to the butcher, and plop down a kitchen, and a tanner next to it.  No more miasma!

I did have trouble when I embarked with three towers as neighbors.  Two clumps of neck hair and a clump of head hair animated and attacked.  The neck hair wasn't dangerousl, but the head hair took out my entire fortress.  I suspect if I had had a farmer's workshop there I could have spun the hair into thread and saved my fort.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 06:20:26 pm »

Building stockpiles won't help if nobody hauls to them...

Head hair and skin are great dangers due to a bug that makes them invincible. Neighboring towers shouldn't cause reanimation in themselves, and if you let a necromancer in near your refuse stockpile your defenses are sorely lacking, but it sounds that you were embarked in a reanimating biome (in fact, black tower armies clashed with local reanimated critters in one embark I had [0.40.24], resulting in the killed undead (parts) reanimating and attacking their fellows).

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 06:48:57 pm »

Nothing was on my map.  I was butchering my initial two wagon animals so that they wouldn't be there to die later when something came.  All of the parts processed except the hair, and I never noticed.  Soon, the head hair was in charge of the embark.