Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Completely underground worldgen forts?  (Read 690 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Completely underground worldgen forts?
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:31:13 am »

Anyone who has ever had a dwarf adventurer knows that worldgen fortresses are illogical as hell. But this one is the limit. I literally opened every door I had access to, on every floor, and explored all areas, but there was no way to the surface.

It makes me wonder how worldgen dwarves got down there. Is this supposed to happen?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Completely underground worldgen forts?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:19:42 am »

Is it connected by tunnels to other, easier to escape sites?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 06:11:02 am »

I spawned underground, and tried to get up. Stairs ended after three floors, then tried to find another staircase. I ended up spending a full hour checking EVERY door and not finding a single way out. I was literally locked underground.

I could not fast travel away. So no, no tunnels.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:22 pm »

I can almost hear the voice of the old bard...

"Long ago, a rich and powerful dwarven civilization, beset by invaders hungry for its wealth, delved deep into the earth and sealed themselves off from the surface.  No one knows what happened to them afterwards, but legend has it..."

If only you could mine your way out.  Alas, I'm afraid that ability probably won't be added any time soon.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 03:02:25 pm »

♩AdVEEENTURE FOOOOOOOORT!!!♫
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!