Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire curse types?  (Read 1605 times)

Thomasasia

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Vampromancer
    • View Profile
Vampire curse types?
« on: December 17, 2015, 12:18:55 am »

The advanced perimeters has a thing for this. Can someone please explain?
"That way leads to the surface. We don't go to the surface."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire curse types?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:51:34 am »

Last I checked it's to decide how many randomly generated curse-RAWs are created for that world's specific save during worldgen.

Hypothetically it would lead to more types of vampires -- like you'd have the dude who drinks blood and is allergic to garlic and the guy who subsists on tears and can only be hurt by weapons made of gold, but in play right now they are all functionally the same. Or at least last I checked they were all functionally the same, I think someone would need to poke around in uncompressed saves to figure that out and I don't know if there's a utility for that/remember how to go about it at the moment.

If you want a larger variety of vampires and junk like that, it's much simpler and more effective to just create your own mod with whatever variety you're looking for. You can use the "interaction_vampire.txt" file found in your "raw/interaction examples" as a guideline or I'm sure there's still discussions about wacky spells and curses going on over in the modding section. Interactions always struck me as one of the most interesting things to do while modding, I'd be surprised if there weren't.

In practice, I think increasing the vampire curse count will increase the number of people cursed with vampirism during world gen, though.

Edit: About half a second after making this post I remembered that all I had to do was set saves to not be compressed before world gen. All this parameter does is make more people get cursed, all the vampires are functionally exactly the same -- right down to stat changes and method of curse transmission.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:57:21 am by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 01:18:02 am »

Might just be stats at this stage, might have just been done for future and so mods could have different types of vampires.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 04:00:24 am »

it might effect curse type ratio?
Like lots of vampire types and only a few were types, a curse roll on toppling a statue would have a higher chance of being a vamp or something? No idea if that works though

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »

Might just be stats at this stage, might have just been done for future and so mods could have different types of vampires.
Modded vampire curses are implemented separately in world gen from the curses from the Vampire Curse parameter.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 02:47:55 pm »

I'm kinda the expert on this 'round these parts.

Every vampire interaction generated by the game is exactly identical. So you'd think the number you put in wouldn't matter, right? No, what does matter is the ratio of vampire interactions to werebeast interactions, which determines how gods curse people in worldgen.

Thank you for your time.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »

And were-beast count does matter, because they are all different.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 05:57:11 pm »

I'm kinda the expert on this 'round these parts.

Can they be modded so that there is different types of vampires?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 07:38:57 pm »

Yes, but you have to put in the interactions yourself, you can't modify the generated ones. See Fear the Night mod.