Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Precision obsidian casting. Weaponized steam?  (Read 1307 times)

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Precision obsidian casting. Weaponized steam?
« on: December 15, 2015, 12:00:01 pm »

Build a track stop.
Set the stop to dump in whatever direction you want the obsidian wall to end up.
Link a lever to it. 
Pull the lever.  (The default is track stops are off when switches are on)
In the hauling menu create a route and stop on the trackstop. 
Assign a cart filled with lava to the stop. 
Once that cart is put in place, forbid it, and assign a water filled cart to the same stop.
Pull the lever...

An obsidian wall appears in which ever direction you chose to dump.

Should the tile above the new wall be open?

A lovely steam bloom is generated.

If steam does damage, then we've just created an obsidian wall creating land mine that not only instantly blocks the theives entrance to your fortress (if properly positioned and hooked to a pressure plate), the invader/s get steam cleaned and parbroiled n the process.

1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Precision obsidian casting. Weaponized steam?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:30:07 pm »

My experience with damp magma sea obsidianization indicates steam is harmless. If you dump something into contaminated lava (the contaminant being e.g. salt, but probably any kind of magma unsafe rock will do), you ought to end up with magma mist, which is NOT harmless.

The problem with pressure plates is that sneakers are generally trap avoiders... Try a locked door with magma behind it and another locked door on the other side, leading into the fortress. Just make sure you have a means to block the further passage should the door smasher be resistant to magma (or the second door could hold water, with a third door leading into the fortress; this should handily auto block the access when the second door is smashed. You can also have a pressure plate reacting to the release of the magma to open the water containing door, but this requires more work to restore if magma alone would have done the job).

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:20 pm »

Steam can kill at least in older versions.  I once killed a magma immune megabeast spider with steam explosions.

You see it killed my whole military, then I poured magma on it, and the resulting blood steam explosions tore it apart.  (Cause it was covered in dwarf blood from my guys.)
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

CraftyButcher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:43:15 pm »

Oh, god - steam traps. I remember waaaay back when they were the go-to defence system for pretty every fort. :p

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:44:31 pm »

Yup, steam is not harmful.  On the other hand, I just blew up a dog by creating obsidian on him with a trackstop. First he disappeared, then , when I mined the obsidian I created, the dog's body briefly reappeared before blooming into a huge cloud of smoke.  Pretty sure I can make useful traps with this.  In addition, if you put four or more magma/water carts on the stop it will create two obsidian tiles.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:48:37 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 03:58:48 pm »

What direction(s) do the additional obsidian tiles appear in? Random cardinal direction?

Also, could someone more versed in minecarts than me make this resetting?
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 06:45:10 pm »

What direction(s) do the additional obsidian tiles appear in? Random cardinal direction?

Also, could someone more versed in minecarts than me make this resetting?

The additional tile is the trackstop tile itself. It self obsidianates...  When you mine out the obsidian, the trackstop returns to full functionality.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 08:56:39 am »

Each minecart carries what, 2/7 of fluid? So what happens if you add 8 water and 8 magma minecarts? (Total of 16/7 of each, which takes up more than 2 spaces.)

And does it always hit the trackstop? I may have to get my minecart fluid loader up and running to check...
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 02:52:11 pm »

Each minecart carries what, 2/7 of fluid? So what happens if you add 8 water and 8 magma minecarts? (Total of 16/7 of each, which takes up more than 2 spaces.)

And does it always hit the trackstop? I may have to get my minecart fluid loader up and running to check...
That's a good question.