Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ghostly Scholar?  (Read 2936 times)

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
Ghostly Scholar?
« on: December 15, 2015, 10:32:15 am »

So, after a visiting scholar was leaving my fortress, he decided to jump, most likely from guilt after stealing one of the books from my library, into the moat on the way out and drown himself.

Me, not realizing you have to slab visiting dwarves, didn't think too much into it.

Well, he came back and is now standing in the library as a restless spirit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, knowing that animal trainers can train as ghosts, can ghostly scholars still write books or ponder?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghostly Scholar?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:13:19 pm »

The're only one way to find out... Tell us what you find, you're probably one of the first to get a chance.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:20:26 pm »

Are all ghosts gelded, or did he land wrong?

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:31:23 pm »

Was he a eunuch before falling in the moat?
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:43:55 pm »

Are all ghosts gelded, or did he land wrong?
Was he a eunuch before falling in the moat?
I hadn't even noticed that.
I didn't bother looking to see before-hand.
Then again... maybe ghosts are gelded so they can't give birth to more ghosts?

So far, he's been floating inside with the other scholars and floating back up to the moat to enjoy the company of his own corpse.
He hasn't done any writing, but then again, my scholars don't do much writing either.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:09:04 pm »

I'm pretty sure that not just any visitor can come back as a ghost. Are you sure he hadn't been granted long-term resident status?

In one unfortunate incident in my fort, I was trying to convince a large crowd of visitors that the beer was running out and they needed to get work or go home. They weren't buying it, so I asked a visiting Bronze Colossus to mediate for us. The intransigent fellows wouldn't see the light of day and then somebody fired an arrow at our mediator and well, the rest is history. If all visitors came back as ghosts then I would probably have somewhere around 66 inhabiting my fort, but that was years ago and nobody has come back for a second visit yet.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »

I was under the impression that any dwarf that died on your map needed a memorial.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 04:13:03 pm »

I'm 100% he was leaving. It even tells you that the visitor is ready to leave when they start moving towards the edge of the map.
He just so happened to think that pathing directly through my 4 wide moat was a great idea.
I haven't had any scholars (in this fort) ask to stay.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 04:17:03 pm »

Do science, please report back.

Can ghosts get distracted? Do they try to socialize/worship? Does the scholar do scholar things?

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »

Do science, please report back.

Can ghosts get distracted? Do they try to socialize/worship? Does the scholar do scholar things?

When all, or most, of the scholars are discussing something, the ghost tends to float around them specifically.
It looks like it might be trying to discuss, but I can't see what it's trying to do, so I can't be certain.
Its only ever in two places
A. The library
or B. The river/moat where he died.

He spends the majority of that time in the library. I'll be on the lookout to see if I ever get a book written by him.

Edit: It also seems like nobody even notices he's there. None of the scholars have any negative reports in their info screen about being scared or sad about seeing a ghost.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:32:28 pm »

Look closer. Alcohol makes dwarves literally fearless, so they aren't afraid of ghosts and it just says they didn't feel anything.

If he writes a book, I'm murdering my scholars.

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:43:21 pm »

I am absurdly excited about ghostly scholars.  Hogwarts meets dwarf fortress!  Please do let us know if he writes a book :) 

I may end up murdering...er...asking the next scholars who visit to stay forever and ever and ever!

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 04:50:03 pm »

I was under the impression that any dwarf that died on your map needed a memorial.

Actually that's probably it. Now that I think about it, I get almost no dwarf visitors. I bet they were all humans or other non-dwarfs. I get so few of them I was just assuming that the OP was referring to a human visitor. Should have read more carefully.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 05:40:11 pm »

Yeah, you can get dwarf visitors. I don't like to bother with them. The whole point to the system, for me, is getting others into my population.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 03:23:01 am »

So, after a visiting scholar was leaving my fortress, he decided to jump, most likely from guilt after stealing one of the books from my library, into the moat on the way out and drown himself.

Me, not realizing you have to slab visiting dwarves, didn't think too much into it.

Well, he came back and is now standing in the library as a restless spirit.

So, knowing that animal trainers can train as ghosts, can ghostly scholars still write books or ponder?

First thought:  "Hogwarts?"
Pages: [1] 2