Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Different drakes?  (Read 1860 times)

Pip0025

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Different drakes?
« on: December 14, 2015, 02:40:47 pm »

So i downloaded the new version, been playing it for about a year and a half now and i noticed a group of drakes on the wild animal menu passing by the fort. So i was going to have some hunters and or militia go after them for some meat etc and before i just checked their description .... and they seem to have the same description as ducks, being small water birds etc. I never mod the game or anything or even look at the raws so im assuming its a bug or is my game just being a weirdo

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Different drakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 02:56:30 pm »

Quick question (for my understanding):
Do you think that drakes are a form of dragons?
If yes, no.
Drakes are the male form of ducks.
Otherwise I don't understand the problem.

Pip0025

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 03:03:51 pm »

... i could have sworn my adventurer had been killed multiple times by drakes in a previous version ... but yes i thought they were a dragonesque creature and apparently that was an amazingly silly question but thank you for the answer

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 03:05:46 pm »

No probs.
And because this is DF, some of your adventurers actually could have been killed by drakes. And rabbits. And hens.  ;)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:50:00 pm »

Drake is just name for a male duck.  Some animals have different names for males and females but they're mostly obvious except for this one.

On the embark screen, where you pick your supplies with points, you can see a number of them on the right hand side.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 06:03:53 pm »

And there's at least one language where "drake" actually means dragon as well as being the name for the male form of a duck, although the latter use is less well known.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 06:11:55 pm »

But let's be fair, Bird are basically overevolved flying reptiles, and ducks in particular are pretty big assholes. In that light, a Drake is really not that far from a Dragon, it just needs to breathe fire.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:28:39 pm »

Well, ducks don't have assholes, they have cloacae. It can also be discussed if draconians are reptilian at all, given that they typically (in western mythology, anyway) are six limbed, rather than the normal four limbed land vertebrate standard (although the tail at times have evolved pretty much into a limb).

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 08:13:47 pm »

Dragons in DF have four legs, if I read the raws correctly.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:11 pm »

he's counting the wings.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 12:16:12 am »

DF people like to be smart.  It's not a stupid question or silly confusion.

Drakes (both fire and cold) were included in Tolkein's lore so it is not unheard of to have Drakes be synonymous with Dragons.  A lot of computer role-playing games have had Drakes.

But true, any big fatty that has regularly snacked on Drake's Cakes of any kind (Funny Bones are my favorite), would recognize it with the Baker Duck character.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:15:32 am »

he's counting the wings.

DF dragons don't actually have wings.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 01:55:16 pm »

No wings? I've only seen a dragon once, but I'm quite sure the description of cave dragons show (unusable) wings. I just checked a cave dragon, and its' wounds screen shows two wings.
But yes, you're correct, if I read the description files correctly: cave dragons are set to have two wings, while "real" dragons don't have any! Weird. But yes, I was wrong.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »

Yeah, now I think about it only cave dragons have wings because of Toady logic where unusable wings are better to have in the game than usable wings where we need to set them to unusable anyway because pathing.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 04:16:33 pm »

English not being my language, the first time years ago  when i saw on my embark there were multiple drakes along my dwarves, i was ready to see the fortress dying in a few minutes until i noticed they weren't hostiles.

And looking at their description i understood that DF drakes weren't the D&D drakes i was familiar with.
Oh the massive disapointement it had been to learn the real life meaning of that english word that day.

Pages: [1] 2