Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Monastery [Challenge]  (Read 3368 times)

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
  • Totally normal person...
    • View Profile
Dwarf Monastery [Challenge]
« on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:46 pm »

DWARF MONASTERY

I was thinking, why not build a fortress with only two things: Knowledge and Religion?

The heart of a dwarf monastery is it's Library and Temple. The objective of this challenge is accumulate as much knowledge as possible, embarking with all dwarfs having at least one scholarly skill, and of course, protect the place from sieges.

My monastery still little, we have only one library and yet no temple.

Our Knowledge so far:

Give me some time and I'll build a place for the dwarf-monks pray.  :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:46:03 pm by Luizx_ »
Shut up Mom! I'm trying to decapitate some goblins here!

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Monastery [Challenge]
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »

I actually mentioned this offhandedly in another thread and I am 100% into the idea. Might I propose that robes, hoods and footwear could be the only permitted civillian dress, and perhaps a ban on excessive luxuries like lavish meals and fancy bedrooms?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:53:45 pm »

seems pretty cool

though you said ONLY religion and knowledge

dose this mean that you have to trade for essentials like food, drink, beds, crops and clothes?

or are those absolute essentials allowed, and just things like weapons, jewels, armor, crafts and ect are banned?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:58:04 pm »

food, drink, beds, crops and clothes?

I think monasteries being somewhat self-sufficient in many ways is typical, but I suppose one could go the classical route and sell fancy alcohol to the outside world in exchange for whatever is needed within the walls? Maybe even make it so the trader is the only one permitted contact with outsiders.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

seems pretty cool

though you said ONLY religion and knowledge

dose this mean that you have to trade for essentials like food, drink, beds, crops and clothes?

or are those absolute essentials allowed, and just things like weapons, jewels, armor, crafts and ect are banned?

This is optional, only if you wanna increase the difficulty. You still can make your monks do other stuff like build beds and other important stuff...

But yes, the thing is that you should stay away from luxuries.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:05:17 pm »

Come to think of it, since dwarves no longer reproduce by spores you could up the difficulty a bit by segregating monks and nuns with burrows once the monastery is big enough to sustain itself.

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:18 pm »

A human swordsman moved to my monastery. I will let my scholars convert him into a warrior monk! Well, we aren't invencible, we still need soldiers...

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 02:19:32 pm »

A human swordsman moved to my monastery. I will let my scholars convert him into a warrior monk! Well, we aren't invencible, we still need soldiers...

Just mod the goblins to be vikings. It's realistic if you get sacked.

Edit: But yeah, this is a cool idea.

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:23:27 pm »

Godamn... I guess I'll just disable the sieges for now a enable again when I have a proper armoured squad. This shit will be hardcore...

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 02:35:13 pm »

Haha, I mean, you can make a warrior monastery too. Not everything needs to be realistic (or Western; it's quite possible that other cultures had warrior-monks of some kind. Maybe Japan or India? I think I remember something vaguely similar.)

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 02:39:04 pm »

There is also the option of just sealing up the monastery and waiting siegers out. I'm pretty sure they leave within a few seasons if no action happens.

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »

There is also the option of just sealing up the monastery and waiting siegers out. I'm pretty sure they leave within a few seasons if no action happens.

I'll have to make my monastery more self-sufficient for that. Btw, this monastery is just a little test, I'll build a better one soon.

Edit: Aw, I forgot that visitors can take books from your library. A bastard scholar took away my favourite book about stars.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:11:51 pm by Luizx_ »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 04:09:53 pm »

For sieges it would be most realistic to just wait them out with drawbridges and such.

What about temple decoration, though? Wouldn't you need skilled craftsdwarves for those?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Luizx_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 04:22:16 pm »

For sieges it would be most realistic to just wait them out with drawbridges and such.

What about temple decoration, though? Wouldn't you need skilled craftsdwarves for those?

Yep. That's why you could separate worker monks from scholar monks, I guess...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 04:31:29 pm »

Craftsdwarfship is only good for the glory of... Armok?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2