Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No hand, no drinks?  (Read 1323 times)

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
No hand, no drinks?
« on: December 14, 2015, 09:56:11 am »

Right before updating to the newest version, I was attacked by goblin-converted elves.
Since my dwarves wouldn't equip gauntlets, helmets, or boots... I ended up with one dead dwarf and one majorly injured one.
After updating, I was brutishly attacked annoyed by giant bushtits. Sending my military out to just kill them (So I would stop having dwarves cancel jobs) I noticed one militia member just standing in the tavern holding a cup trying to drink.
Checking his stats...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh. He's really thirsty.

Is him missing a hand no longer allowing him to drink?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: No hand, no drinks?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:14 am »

Check his health screen.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:10:24 pm »

Check his health screen.

What exactly would that accomplish? I already know that he's without a hand, that he's dehydrated, and that he's holding a cup while standing in the booze stockpile. His other hand is unharmed and he's even holding a shield with it.

Edit: After forbidding the shield, he was able to drink. Could it be that he was trying to hold a cup and a shield on the same hand, but was not switching between them?

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:16:29 pm »

Check his health screen.

What exactly would that accomplish? I already know that he's without a hand, that he's dehydrated, and that he's holding a cup while standing in the booze stockpile. His other hand is unharmed and he's even holding a shield with it.

Edit: After forbidding the shield, he was able to drink. Could it be that he was trying to hold a cup and a shield on the same hand, but was not switching between them?

That sounds plausible - are uniform-items locked in place? I don't think I recall seeing dwarves shuffle them around unless they're changing equipment.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »

No uniforms. I always choose specific bits of armor for them to wear (unless you consider that a 'uniform.')
I wonder If I'm going to have to micromanage his thirst and hunger... if that's the case, I might as well just use him to explore the caverns.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 01:18:40 pm »

Dworfs are odd, they can't hold a shield and a cup in same hand while carrying five large pots full of food all the time is perfectly all right.

I had a dworf with two broken arms, splinted, but there was no helping him after he got out of hospital. He spent the rest of his life trying to pick up a cup.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 08:22:07 pm »

Check his health screen.

The left ARM is injured. If the left arm's nervous tissue happened to have been broken, he would not have been able to hold anything. You figured it out, though.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 07:29:46 am »

After checking his treatment and... info screen(?) His left lower arm, left upper arm, and left hand show no treatment or scars.
It was just his right hand being cut off and his right upper arm being damaged.

He still has to be micromanaged to drop his shield every time he wants a drink.
My fort has no use for cripples.
I will send him into the caverns to fight for an honorable death.

SMASH!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 08:12:12 am »

Disable tavern, forbid cups. Worked for me.