Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 8 (1/7/2016)  (Read 8045 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 8 (1/7/2016)
« on: December 13, 2015, 12:42:51 am »

Scarlet sunshine bathes the hallway in an eerie glowing aura, warm against your skin. A quaint red sun gradually overtakes the horizon and hangs in the azure sky of dawn.

The man in the black suit to your side tells you there is nothing that can be done about your ghost. This world is your home now.

What is this?

This is a game where you and five others are trapped in *gasp* the real world on a space colony.

Where is this?

Planet Valhalla, in orbit of the star Hawking 47. It was the first potentially habitable planet to be named by public vote; such is how it got its relatively uninspired name.

It is a 6.8 billion year old, superterran icy world with 1.1G surface gravity, a small marine biosphere, an atmosphere in the early stages of oxygenation, and a landscape dominated by glaciers over mountains. Humanity lives inside pyramid-shaped habitats built on bedrock, each with its own self-contained ecosystem.

For centuries, humans have been born in vats and implanted with neural interface software, allowing them to raise an artificial emulation of themselves. A person's emulation is known as his Ghost, and said Ghost is connected to the Reality Network, an offshoot of the WorldNet technology used on Earth.

Ghosts

A man and a ghost are viewed as incorporated entities under the law. That is, a ghost and a man are considered one and the same, and due to the synchronization process both believe themselves to be the same person.
The Reality Network must be accessed by the ghost, and since the human and the ghost share memories, the human believes himself to be present inside the Reality Net. All of human society is built inside the Reality Network, but not all structures present within the colony pyramid are actually built in real life. Instead, ghosts access what are known as Portals, nodes in a non-euclidean space that allow ghosts to access virtual spaces. All virtual spaces are connected in the Overworld, i.e. the colony.
When a person explores the Overworld, he explores the outer hallways of the colony in a ghost form--it is an artificial mapping of the colony's structure into a 'meta portal' of sorts. The Overworld also contains things that are not really there in the real world, such as floating text.

A portal entrance takes the form of a glowing mirror. When entered, the ghost ins transported into the portal's realm.

Divergence

When a ghost and his host's consciousness split off from each other and the illusion is shattered, both enter a divergent state. A divergent ghost cannot enter the Overworld and must transfer between portals using a terminal command on any world-linked terminal. Likewise, a diverged human cannot enter the Reality Network. He is essentially trapped inside the Overworld.

Knowledge of the real state of the colony triggers divergence. When a person realizes that the world around him is not real but a matrix-like illusion, it becomes nearly impossible for the ghost and the host to act in unision. Thus, the majority of persons are educated so as to believe the Reality Network around them is reality itself, despite its non-euclidean spacing and general lack of adherence to physics.
Deep pondering of philisophical thought also tends to cause divergence. This is due to subtle differences in the ways humans and ghosts process information. By law all media encouraging deep thought is heavily restricted.

By limiting daily human life to simple pleasure-based activities, divergence is minimized and most humans can live a happy life, while also remaining productive so long as management tasks are framed as entertainment.

Happenings

Most divergences occur because the host's body fails. Indeed, no human body lasts forever, and aging disrupts the ghost synchronization processes due to physical differences between the ghost and the host. As such, humans have been genetically engineered to almost not age at all past young adulthood, at the expense of total lifespan; no human lives past 50.

Yours is a special case. You bodies did not die, but rather... your ghosts simply vanished from the Reality Network! Without a ghost, you cannot interface with the virtual world anymore... this means, you are locked out of portals for good. The Reality Network is now invisible to you, and their ghost forms no longer walk the halls.
However, you are not alone. The outermost part of the colony, known as the Outer Reaches portal within the Reality Network, is populated by fellow divergees. Divergees are essential for the proper functioning of the colony, and are also necessary to guide and plan the future of the colony. However, they are a tiny minority; most of the intellectual labor is assigned to humans in the Reality Network as objectives in the various portals.

Note that this is all what your characters know, so you may cite this information at will.

Mechanics

Actions will use a base d20, and bonuses can add or subtract from the base roll.
1-2 is Dismal Failure
3-6 is Normal Failure
7-10 is Partial Success
11-14 is Normal Success
15-18 is Perfect Success
19-20 is Overshoot.

Spoiler: Extra (click to show/hide)

Characters

Your characters have just been separated from the Reality Network, and while you have been told the above your experience in real life is marginal. You will have to re-learn much.

There are two "characters" you must design. The first is your human self, which is whom you will be playing as. The second is your ghost self, which defines your past life inside the Reality network.
For your Ghost, you will have to define a power level from 1 to 12. What this basically entails is how much you invested in your ghost-life that won't carry over to your real world. A powerlevel of 1 means you basically lived like you would in real life, albeit a more carefree one, while 12 basically means you were fond of minmaxing and grinding, in typical MMO fashion.
A low powerlevel will give a bonus to levelling "physical" skills such as engineering, piloting aircraft/vehicles, using weapons, and so on.
A high powerlevel will give a bonus to levelling "cybernetic" skills such as hacking, optimization, tactics/strategy, and so on.

Code: (Do not remove bold tags, please) [Select]
[b]Name: [/b](Can be anything from "John Doe" to "XxIceFirexX." You won't have a name tag floating above your head though.)

[b]Human Age: [/b](Limited to 50)
[b]Human Appearance: [/b](Give a general body type and preferred clothes. 3D printers can whip up pretty much any style of dress you want)

[b]Ghost Appearance: [/b](Can be non-human, or even shapeshifting, although most choose human forms)
[b]Ghost Power Level: [/b](Give a value between 1 and 12, 1 being 'casual' and 12 being 'hardcore')

This isn't first-come-first-serve.

Current Players:

Waitlist:

((College is ending soon, which gives me time to manage another game.))
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:43:23 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 11:14:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 02:06:15 pm »

Ugh, by "do not remove formatting" I meant not to remove the bold tags. I didn't mean for everyone to keep the parenthesis in , it looks awful. >.<

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »

Spoiler: Neil Lemonson (click to show/hide)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:02:10 am »

Spoiler: Edward Exarch (click to show/hide)
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 08:01:08 am »

Why would humans colonize a planet in such unusual manner?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 04:30:16 pm »

Why would humans colonize a planet in such unusual manner?

Planet Valhalla, in orbit of the star Hawking 47. It was the first potentially habitable planet to be named by public vote; such is how it got its relatively uninspired name.

They came hoping it was habitable. It was not.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 04:37:22 pm »

Spoiler: NeoDireWolf (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:45:49 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 08:36:44 pm »

Bump?

I'm a bit busy due to unforseen circumstances. Tomorrow I'll also be busy for some indeterminate length of time. Sorry! The day after I should be free to start a post.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You Are Cybernetic Avenger
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:20:45 pm »

Just kidding.

Roll 0

Alright, a quick clarification on how the skill system will work: When you roll a 16 or a 17, you will level up in whatever category the original action was a part of, granting you a skill. So for example, designing a virus and rolling a 16 means that you will get a trait along the lines of "Disruptive Programming: +1 to disrupting computer networks."
The "Leaner" traits that everyone starts off with expands this threshold by +1 in each direction, so now instead of only 16's and 17's counting, you will level up on 15's and 18's as well.
Decimal values (such as +0.5 learning threshold) means that you only get a percentage chance to get a skill when you roll in the boundaries of the learning threshold. This chance does not apply within the whole number section of the learning threshold, so +1.5 means that you will always get a skill at 15-18 but you will only get a skill 50% of the time at 14 and 19.)

Some traits (like the learner traits) do not correspond to a particular skill, so they're kept in a different category.

Quote from: The Moonlit Shadow
Lights and thoughts bang around inside your head, but ultimately you don't feel you've lost much. It was nothing but a fantasy after all. The red sun out the window feels a lot more real than the fake sun on Sunset Portal anyway.

Quote from: ATHATH
All of the things you've built have turned out to be an illusion. All this is definitely going to take its toll. Especially since, for some reason, you have a hole in your chest. The men in suits tell you this was due to a birth defect, but that the supervisors did everything they could to keep you alive.
This comes with a sort of deja-vu. You don't remember the defect itself, but you do remember all the trouble it caused you when you were younger. All the faces and discouragement, and yes, the feeling that you were draining undue resources. You feel it all, but the actual experiences themselves are hid somewhere in your thoughts like a particularly evasive dream.

Quote from: lawastooshort
Unlike some of the trembling addicts in the past hallways, you seem to have maintained your composure perfectly well despite the fallout. As you came to this hall, you passed a room that you honestly thought was for pre-education level children.
The room, as it turns out, was the entrance to the mental hospital for those with trouble leaving the reality network behind, according to the black suit.

Quote from: HighEndNoob
Your cape drew some attention when you came out of the printery. [2] In fact, one person had a breakdown and tried to physically assault you upon seeing your outfit. Apparently it was reminiscent of some villain the man had fought several hundred times in the past world. Fortunately you haven't gone so far as to blur reality with fiction yet. Perhaps coming awake was a plus.
The suits told you that you should keep the cape underneath your outfit, but there's no indication that those words are binding.

Quote from: WunderKatze
Oh the calamity! Oh the heart-wrenching turmoil!
...You didn't get to keep your cape or wings! Those took many hours of crafting and perfection. And now they're gone.
Vengeance will be had.

After viewing the sunset in the outer hall, the five of you are told to come back to the lobby when you are ready. There you shall receive a specialization in accordance with your preferred skillset.

There are several passageways marked as off-limits. They seem to head into the upper floors, where the equipment for the reality network is located. You hear footsteps faintly, though, but people in the reality net do not move about in their waking bodies.
Signage points to an area known as "Reproduction Facilities." Perhaps this is where the people-vats are located. It is to the far left if you turn back around to face the colony. Clockwise, if you will.
From the east comes an audible hum. Power systems must be at work here, and while power substations (curiously not marked as off-limits, unlike the other passages) can be found everywhere the noise is especially loud coming from the general area.
There are some sets of stairs here on the outer rim of the colony. These lead below-ground, where the waterways are located. Basement access stairs are common wherever you go, but they are unmarked by signage.

The lobby awaits directly where you came from, that is, toward the colony. Here there is a friendly-looking man in a grey suit watching the door, asking if you are ready.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 0
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 05:17:55 pm »

Neil looks about himself and then at the man, and then at the other people with the man.

"Yes?"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 03:16:10 am »

"Of course." NeoDireWolf says with an anxious grin.

So this is my flesh, huh? NeoDireWolf bites into his own lip sending blood streaming down his chin. Ouch...

Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 03:28:30 am »

Edward reluctantly obliges, and neatly folds the cape before stuffing it in his suit. These simpletons have no taste in fashion. If we get these new, 'real' bodies, then we might a well express ourselves.

Yes, I am prepared.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 04:43:16 am »

Roll 1

"Yes."

Fiona looks at the man, her expression questioning.
Neil looks about himself and then at the man, and then at the other people with the man.

"Yes?"
Edward reluctantly obliges, and neatly folds the cape before stuffing it in his suit. These simpletons have no taste in fashion. If we get these new, 'real' bodies, then we might a well express ourselves.

Yes, I am prepared.
"Of course." NeoDireWolf says with an anxious grin.

So this is my flesh, huh? NeoDireWolf bites into his own lip sending blood streaming down his chin. Ouch...

"Very well," states the man,
"You are free to enter as you--oh my! Something seems wrong with that fellow..." he motions toward NeoDireWolf, whose lip is now bleeding profusely.
"Well, um... that can't possibly be fatal... but... erm," he pulls out a bandage from his coat pocket. "Ahem, I am glad I always come prepared~"

He offers DireWolf the medical item. It consists of a white gel with a shiny paper backing, becoming autoadhesive and antibacterial on contact with human skin oil and/or blood.

"Now then, we must proceed."

The lobby much resembles a city square, but much less exciting and certainly smaller, being limited to a finite volume in space.
Above are yellow lights, providing much better visibility than the cool dim glow of the system's sun. There are five buildings arranced in a ring pattern, connected by bridges crossing the center, and stretching into the ceiling which is about a hundred meters at its highest. The ceiling is, however, sloped in accordance with the shape of the colony pyramid, as described to you earlier.

The five buildings belong to five factions, listed below. The back (North), right (East), and left (West) walls each lead to sections called "Residencies," "Educatories," and "Manufactories," respectively.
Encircled by the buildings is a bustling plaza populated by plants and crowds of reserved, dull-faced divergees. Temporary stores made from printed plastic tents are manned by robots, and individuals rarely interact with each other aside from organizing themselves into neat lines to avoid contact and intermingling.

It seems much less lively than the virtual world.

The Factions

"Now of course, we don't expect you to find what you would like doing so soon in your new lives..." He breaths in, slowly. The man looks rather strange, with a wrinkled face and a rather hunched figure.
"But I suggest you look around and see for yourselves."

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:10:53 am by _DivideByZero_ »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 1 (12/22/2015)
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2015, 07:26:25 am »

Go west to investigate The Guild. A total absence of physical presence is... just inhuman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5