Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scholarly endeavors  (Read 5630 times)

bobchaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scholarly endeavors
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:26:29 pm »

I have myself a huge library, with over 100 books (all originals due to the current scribing bug in 42.02) and all kinds of silver furniture. It's packed with nearly 20 of my own scholar plus about a dozen or so outsiders. These guys have been writing, reading, discussing and pondering for 5 years and they still suck at it :O I understand that they are supposed to be learning from the travelers in order to level fast but all of them seem to be forming student-master relations with equally incompetent scholars :( As far as I can tell (it's tedious without dwarf therapist :/ ) only one or two of my scholars have gotten to novice in any of the science skills. Has anyone figured out a way to make them learn faster or to encourage student to seek out qualified masters? Or maybe I just have rotten luck? o.O

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarly endeavors
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 01:03:56 am »

My scholars haven't skilled up a lot either. Other people have seen this too.
Maybe it's fixed in 42.03 now?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 02:52:34 am »

What's the quality of the books like? It stands to reason that that plays some part in skill-gain.

Also, check their non-science skills. People have reported making their Chief Medical Dwarf a scholar and finding other dwarves becoming Dabbling Diagnosers, for example.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:03:20 am »

Since I went from 42.02 to 42.03, one of my scholars went novice instead of dabbling. Still ultra-slow, and the only writing done in my library has been done by the scribe due to copying books bought from the caravan.

Ugh.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:00:14 am »

Perhaps teachers are important here? Has anyone tried to embark with a full-fledged scolar and see how long it takes him to train other scolars?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 06:17:25 am »

Perhaps teachers are important here? Has anyone tried to embark with a full-fledged scolar and see how long it takes him to train other scolars?

That's a pretty fun idea actually. Dwarf Monastery.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

bobchaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 12:28:32 pm »

What's the quality of the books like? It stands to reason that that plays some part in skill-gain.

Also, check their non-science skills. People have reported making their Chief Medical Dwarf a scholar and finding other dwarves becoming Dabbling Diagnosers, for example.

Most of the books are pretty crappy actually, but I do have a few excellent writings (one of them is so good it's perpetually covered in Dwarf tears!). As for medical skills, they are considered to be "science" skills. Pretty much all of my dwarves have dabbling in at least one medical skill from reading only.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »

Wait wait wait wait what

Your dwarves actually learn skills from books?! Mine NEVER do!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 08:22:20 pm »

Yeah so what's the point of libraries again?  Do they have any practical benefits?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 08:30:56 pm »

Wait wait wait wait what

I believe it's dependent on their student skill. I experimented with reading a bunch of books about medicine in adventure mode and while i never got to the point of increasing diagnosis or surgery, I noticed my student skill increase. I believe eventually my skills would get a boost from reading relevant books.

In fortress mode, discussions seem to be the better way for skills to be increased (or at least kept from rusting).

bobchaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 10:17:45 pm »

Wait wait wait wait what

I believe it's dependent on their student skill. I experimented with reading a bunch of books about medicine in adventure mode and while i never got to the point of increasing diagnosis or surgery, I noticed my student skill increase. I believe eventually my skills would get a boost from reading relevant books.

In fortress mode, discussions seem to be the better way for skills to be increased (or at least kept from rusting).

I assume it's the books, but I could be wrong. I just don't see what else would explain so many dwarves dabbling in medical skillls.

Yeah so what's the point of libraries again?  Do they have any practical benefits?
Right now they are a good way of spreading medical skills among your dwarves, and the writings of your scholars provides entertainment to those who read them. Its also an alternate way of raising student and teacher skills (which still have their old use in military training) and certain conversation/performance related skills. If you can find a talented military dorf with any scholarly skill, see if you can get him to teach at the library for a bit, then make him a champion so he can go teach the art of murdering gobos :D

Sometime in the future it's been hinted to by ToadyOne that certain building/actions will need to be unlocked through research by your dwarves (and visitors!). Anyone else found a good way to put libraries to good use until their intended use is coded in the game?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:21:09 pm by bobchaos »

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:35 pm »

Thanks for clarifying!
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 11:01:37 pm »

Could you use libraries as some sort of guild where they discuss masonry or some detailing our something other than a science? I get small benefits out of my doctor scholar, he and the scribes sit around discussing suturing and anatomy and such.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:20 am »

Sometime in the future it's been hinted to by ToadyOne that certain building/actions will need to be unlocked through research by your dwarves (and visitors!).

Oh...hm. I really don't like the sound of that...I hope it only applies in a positive way, that new items can only be unlocked through research, and not that existing items/workshops will be blocked until you research...that would be a terrible handicap, and slow the game down so much. But maybe it's limited to a smaller range of things than I'm envisioning. Like just magma workshops or something (because those are a little OP.)

bobchaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 02:19:08 am »

Sometime in the future it's been hinted to by ToadyOne that certain building/actions will need to be unlocked through research by your dwarves (and visitors!).

Oh...hm. I really don't like the sound of that...I hope it only applies in a positive way, that new items can only be unlocked through research, and not that existing items/workshops will be blocked until you research...that would be a terrible handicap, and slow the game down so much. But maybe it's limited to a smaller range of things than I'm envisioning. Like just magma workshops or something (because those are a little OP.)

I was under the impression based on the dev log on http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ that most things currently in the game would remain available except advanced traps/machines. All the other unlocks should be new goodies. I could be very wrong, but that's the impression I was left with.
Pages: [1] 2