Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocks erode in running water?  (Read 1456 times)

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rocks erode in running water?
« on: December 12, 2015, 05:08:00 pm »

This is something really neat that I didn't know exist. I've been dumping my excess rocks in a river running by my fort and recently the rocks have been disappearing and creating "a dusting of rock salt" that flows down the river. It's really neat, as I didn't know DF modeled erosion in water (at least that's what I think it is)
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
Re: Rocks erode in running water?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 05:30:35 pm »

Well if they were rock salt rocks they will dissolve in water, wo'n't they?
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »

There's no such thing as 'excess' rocks. Have them wheelbarrowed to a stockpile for creating blocks!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 07:08:15 pm »

Must be something special for rock salt...

nah, probably not. don't see anything on rock salt's raws.

Did you cave-in something in the water ? The only time i see a dusting of *insert stone name here* is in the general direction of a cave-in.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 11:59:11 pm »

No, nothing caved in, every once in a while I see little puffs of rock dust float down the river, I'm thinking it might be because I have so many rocks in one tile? There's no cave ins happening.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 05:04:57 pm »

Has anything ever caved in? Either in a rock salt layer or with a rock salt construction. My guess is either dwarven boots tracked the dust everywhere or those stones were from a cave in, and so got dust on them.

Dust is a contaminant, and as such is subject to the same bugs that cause "river of blood" effect.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 05:14:42 pm »

It is a known bug that objects sometimes turn invisible if and when they are moved by running water.

I don't think boulders are immune to being pushed by water. It is quite possible that the boulders are all piled up at the edge of the map where the river flows out. Like the spot where all the dead fish skeletons are.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 05:22:01 pm »

Thanks, I forgot about that bug!

And now the problem is solved! And unfortunately Toady did not sneak erosion into the latest release.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!