Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Random deaths  (Read 3123 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random deaths
« on: December 11, 2015, 01:33:43 pm »

I didn't see a topic for this. In my fortress I've been getting random deaths every once in a while and I don't know what's happening.

At least one seems to have occurred when the person was in their bedroom which made me suspect a vampire but the message didn't say anything about drained of blood.

But lately they seem to happen in the tavern I made outside that's full of visitors. There are no reports of fighting before the deaths either.

Are these people dying of alcohol poisoning or bar fights that don't get reported or what? And how do I stop it?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Random deaths
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 01:40:18 pm »

I would take a quick second glance at those corpses. Are they in piles of vomit? Chances are it's alcohol poisoning. I can't really think of solutions to alcohol poisoning personally. Making sure they can occasionally access water so they drink less might help. Could also temporarily forbid alcohol now and then. Outside that, alcohol poisoning just looks like a fact of life.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:46:29 pm »

I'll keep an eye out but it seems that my entire fortress is covered in vomit.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:18:37 pm »

Depending on circumstances (Bad mood sadness? someone tested?) Dwarfes indeed can drink oneself to death.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 02:23:48 pm »

Is it possible that a dwarf got into a bar fight, took serious injuries and died from it at some later point?  That happened to me once already.  Dwarves can vomit when they take a beating to their stomach or guts.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 02:26:06 pm »

Is it possible that a dwarf got into a bar fight, took serious injuries and died from it at some later point?  That happened to me once already.  Dwarves can vomit when they take a beating to their stomach or guts.

I feel like combat reports would confirm this. Though I've had more than one near-lethal bar fights. No bar fight deaths though.

There are no reports of fighting before the deaths either.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:17 pm »

Barfights not being reported would be very odd. My bet would be alcohol poisoning or infection. 

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:11:22 pm »

There are no combat reports as far back as I can see so I don't think they're bar fights. Also, woulnd't something show up in the justice screen?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 03:35:15 pm »

I don't want to be that guy, but:
There are already threads covering this - and the solution is already being found: Alcohol.
No offense, really, but there is a search function.

Everyone of us wants to help and is helping, but sometimes it would be helpful (and much faster) to look around inside the forum.
Again, no offense.

Until now there is no proofed way to avoid alcohol-related deaths (and I wouldn't want to avoid these at all).
If it bothers you, you could turn your taverns to visitors only and let your dwarves socialize inside designated meeting areas where you can control the drinking behaviour (despite the fact that these are dwarves and there longing for ale can't be controlled). If your visitors die by alcohol (and they will), it won't hurt you as much as a dying legendary "insert proficiency here".

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 09:39:27 pm »

I looked at all the gameplay questions topics back to before this release.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 01:56:15 am »

Then you will love the "Dwarf Mode Discussion"-Board.  ;)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 09:22:34 am »

Alcohol...
Meybe he just starve to death? Or he has been dehydrated? Was there any fights before? Meybe some venom or something nasty from FB? Do your dwarf fail the mood? Had you calapses? Meybe he was cought by dust… How old was he? I got dorfs dying from old age in this relase. Literary one of the migrants come to my fortress and two seasons later he died from old age. What your corpses messages was saing?

There can be stealth killing obolts or gobos.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 12:30:39 pm »

It was definitely none of those unless drinking alcohol causes you to starve or dehydrate.

Haven't had FBs; mood or collapses I would have noticed; when it's old age, it says so in the announcement; and I haven't gotten any stealth killings by anything, which wouldn't happen anyway in the dwarve's own room or in a tavern full of people.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 12:38:14 pm »

Why "starving" and "dehydrating"?
In your first post you stated that you didn't catch them dying.
Alcohol poisoning leads to suffocation as your dwarf can't breath anymore. Therefore no report (mood/battle/etc) until you find a dead body.
If your fort is covered in vomit (which is a sign that your dwarves really love your booze), so that you can't determine whether the vomit is from your dwarf or not, just clean your fort constantly and then search further bodies for signs of vomit.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 08:14:02 pm »

Actually, if a dwarf is "found dead", he could have certainly died from... anything! Check any of his acquaintances, open his (v)iew, check his age, and tell us! If it's less than 140, it's NOT old age.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2