Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System  (Read 33451 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 01:00:07 pm »

Please don't get angry with me even though we're going in circles around this. Still trying to wrap my head around the conundrum.

i would just be the very angriest person around if i got angry every time someome was tryin something like this

as for the rest of your post: yeah, i actually can't see anything wrong with that

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »

Sweet.

Now that I think about it, [UTTERANCES] might make a better tag than [SUPERNATURAL].

So you start muttering things as you prepare a spell. :)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2016, 02:00:31 pm »

utterances is a koblod thing which I think robs you of speaking.
 supernatural will rob the player access to vampirism blood or werewolf bite inflicted curses.
also there's a chance the syndrome not working if the player builds up their disease resistance
or do the interaction in the rain.
wonder why not set the wait timer for fireball higher if you're trying to limit use?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:24 pm »

In that case, utterances is perfect! Cast your damn fireball, then you can talk again.

:)

The reason why I don't go with simple timers is that I want the player to be able to do some pain management. If you cast too many fireballs back to back, it's going to hurt more.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »

also there's a chance the syndrome not working if the player builds up their disease resistance
I think disease resistance only comes into play if you add the RESISTABLE token to the syndrome.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 03:29:41 pm »

In that case, utterances is perfect! Cast your damn fireball, then you can talk again.

:)

The reason why I don't go with simple timers is that I want the player to be able to do some pain management. If you cast too many fireballs back to back, it's going to hurt more.
"Who in their right mind fields a 'Mech with only ten heat sinks?"
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 04:10:21 pm »

I am worried about rain interfering with my cloud of "remove utterances", as well as other hilarious sideeffects.

If the cloud is too big you could use it to communicate with kobolds.

If it stays in the same place too long you may have to move out of it before you can cast anything again.

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »

I'm having a hard time testing my creation in the arena.

I went back to the first page of the discussion and tried copying the 'fire mage' verbatim, it doesn't show up in the arena either. Nothing related to this in my error log.

Am I missing a step? Can anyone else verify that fire mage can be deployed in the arena in 42.04?

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2016, 03:21:33 am »

Figured it out. All custom object files must go into objects folder, not interaction_examples folder. Duh!

Hobelhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2016, 12:03:03 am »

Has anyone tested having more than one sphere tag? Can you set things so the secret of Fire is also the secret of Volcanoes?

Hobelhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2016, 12:04:27 am »

I'm having a hard time testing my creation in the arena.

I went back to the first page of the discussion and tried copying the 'fire mage' verbatim, it doesn't show up in the arena either. Nothing related to this in my error log.

Am I missing a step? Can anyone else verify that fire mage can be deployed in the arena in 42.04?

Did you use the 'u' key to add an effect to your spawned creature? I had to figure that bit out.

The copied fire mage is working for me...

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2016, 02:26:29 am »

Has anyone tested having more than one sphere tag? Can you set things so the secret of Fire is also the secret of Volcanoes?
I just tested and can confirm that this is possible.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2016, 09:52:32 am »

I just tested and can confirm that this is possible.
Just note that each Sphere needs its own entire [I_SOURCE:SECRET] block within the interaction.

Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Hobelhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »

I can confirm that copying of secret books appears to be going on. I had a slab containing the secrets of fire that was learned from a few times and then lost in a seige around the year 60. However, in Legends Viewer, people continued to learn the secret of fire from it even after it was "lost". This seems to indicate copies were made, I think?

More scientific results: secret learning may affect the outcome of wars in worldgen. I have a tribal frogman civ that was having trouble surviving until I added secrets for their forced religious spheres of water, moon, and nature. Post-secret addition, the numbers of frogmen surviving worldgen has gone up noticeably.

Another scientific result: creatures that learn a secret, then become a vampire apparently lose their knowledge of secrets, or else vampirism interferes with displaying it in Legends Viewer.

I'm doing some more tests to figure out how secrets are generated and assigned. I turned up the number of secrets to 1000 on a large world to see how much I could make them proliferate; a fair number of non-necromancy secrets spawned and spread, but looking at death-sphere deities in Legends Viewer, they appear to be associated with 1000 necromancy secrets! I'm clueless how the secrets I made fit into this number. Based on the suggestions of other people here, I added duplicate secrets with the same effect for fire, volcanoes, sun etc. I'll see how this plays out.

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:02 am »

How do you add a 1000 secrets during worldgen? Is that a mod or am I missing an option in vanilla somewhere?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9