Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Muddy roads? Diverting rivers, piping, wells.  (Read 877 times)

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Muddy roads? Diverting rivers, piping, wells.
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »

So I'm working on a fort, planning to be all crazy and have the fort have like a grand meeting hall/pub complete with mist generators to turn on occasionally to deal with illnesses and filth.

So started looking at a couple mist generator guides, spotted 1 about a umping system that drops a single tile of water on a statue (which doesnt get muddy) and noticed mention of paved roads not getting muddy either.

So I started thinking. I'll often divert a river into my fort in some way to feed a cistern and my wells. Usually with this though if I try to do a well, I need to make sure that the tile below the well is at least 2 deep right, because if its 1 deep you'll be getting mud.

But what if I put a paved road tile on that floor, or expanding that, paved my entire artificial river and piping to route the fluids. Would there just be no mud to deal with at all?

Also another Q as its been a while since I played in earnest. But can you muddy constructed floors, and then farm on them?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Muddy roads? Diverting rivers, piping, wells.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 01:56:14 pm »

I've successfully muddied constructed floors and built farms on them, so the answer to that question is yes.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »

I've successfully muddied constructed floors and built farms on them, so the answer to that question is yes.
Ty, so my nifty terraced aboveground farm shall be built (cause why the hell not)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:18:22 pm »

Paved roads do not grow plants, even if they accumulate mud.

Constructed floors can grow plants, trees, or farms if made muddy.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »

I'm still on 40.19 so it might of changed ( doubtful) but you can't place ANYTHING on a paved road,  not even a stockpile!!

So pave carefully

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:53:29 pm »

Hm, my experiments with over ground muddy floors indicate nothing will grow on them (except in a farm plot). Under ground, however, is a different story.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:04:43 am »

Guys the paved road is for a different project than the plant growing.

The paved roads is for piping, and cisterns that a well would be placed over, hopefully avoiding "mud" generation, as that forces well sources to be at least 2 deep.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 02:38:00 am »

Constructed floors can grow plants, trees, or farms if made muddy.

This is partly false, you can designate farms on constructed floors as well as the top of constructed walls, but they will not allow tree growth and/or cave moss/ grass growth even if muddied with water.

Unfortunately, you are going to get a dusting of mud even if you use paved roads or constructed floors for your pipe systems. I don't think this gets the water in the well muddy however. My own setup is 2 z-level well with constructed floors on the bottom most level. I've never gotten a complaint about contaminated water.

I use constructed floors for my water pipes to avoid the cave moss issue. Pretty sure I stuck with that instead of paved roads for a reason (that I can't remember at the moment), but you are welcome to science it out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:40:48 am by Zuglarkun »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 09:26:51 am »

I have had trees grow on constructed floors in earlier editions.

Mud, however, isn't much of a contaminant. Just screw-pump the water into the wells to avoid anything like blood getting into it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 08:26:08 pm »

True, true, a body of water with a drop of blood can spread said blood everywhere. Looks pretty dorf, though.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!