Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do vampires drink booze in this release?  (Read 2942 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do vampires drink booze in this release?
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:24:41 am »

Hello!
I'm running my first more-or-less succesful fort in .42.02; and I got one of them vampires.
The problem is, I have 4 suspects, due to their family sizes & family skills & previous occupation lists. However, all of them have drank (or appear so in their info-screen). Do vamps drink now?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Do vampires drink booze in this release?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:56:56 am »

I don't know, but I would assume they wouldn't get thirsty. At least not for booze.

Wall them up, check if they become hungry. If they do... not vampires.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:58:30 am »

Do you have a tavern? What could be happening is they're being served drinks and drinking socially. Is that a thing now?
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:59:33 am »

I really hope so! It'll mean the necromancer fortress is viable.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 03:20:25 pm »

Just to add a bit of speculation on top of things:
I've keeped a tight watch over any suspicious dwarf from several earlier migration waves. All of them became "Hungry" or "Thirsty" after a while.
So vampire was not amongst them. No dead bodies in over 2 years in-game now, as well. I think that this might be visiting vampire from my super-tavern. Can this be truth?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »

Just to add a bit of speculation on top of things:
I've keeped a tight watch over any suspicious dwarf from several earlier migration waves. All of them became "Hungry" or "Thirsty" after a while.
So vampire was not amongst them. No dead bodies in over 2 years in-game now, as well. I think that this might be visiting vampire from my super-tavern. Can this be truth?
Yeah, i saw two quest vampires who was trying to drink from others. One just left my guy "pale", other drank whole blood from elf dancer...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 05:25:32 pm »

Okay, new corpse now, and a bit of reading through all of my now 232 dwarves.
I managed to find the guy, and he had "And he doesn't remember when he had some", so they do not drink. He was my mayor.
BUT! He migrated after the first bloodless corpse was discovered.
So no idea on previous post speculation.
It's mildly depressing.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:46:37 pm »

Okay, new corpse now, and a bit of reading through all of my now 232 dwarves.
I managed to find the guy, and he had "And he doesn't remember when he had some", so they do not drink. He was my mayor.
BUT! He migrated after the first bloodless corpse was discovered.
So no idea on previous post speculation.

I like how vampires retain some mystique here. Nice touch.
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:07:02 am »

Posting to clarify the problem for people who have not been around long enough:

The facts:

• Vampires do not have the habit of consuming dwarven alcohol on a regular basis(never)
  • Vampires have the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag and therefore suffer from alcohol withdrawal symptoms over time
  • Vampires will get extremely slow with time, negating the positive bonuses of being undead, becoming useless for UndeadFortress
Did anyone find something in the bugtracker that points towards this being fixed? I really wanna see this.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 11:29:33 am »

The facts:

• Vampires do not have the habit of consuming dwarven alcohol on a regular basis(never)
  • Vampires have the [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT] tag and therefore suffer from alcohol withdrawal symptoms over time
  • Vampires will get extremely slow with time, negating the positive bonuses of being undead, becoming useless for UndeadFortress
Did anyone find something in the bugtracker that points towards this being fixed? I really wanna see this.

I know you mean well, but this strikes me as a little condescending. I think a good number of us understand how vampires work (everyone who has posted has been a part of the forum for >1 year).

The new version/taverns suggest the need for some research. For me, I'm curious how the Serve Booze! job works. Do tavern keepers serve booze to those who ask for it? Or do they just give it out willy nilly?go to patrons who ask for it If it's the former, it's possible that vamps are given booze and that eliminates one avenue for discovering vamps. If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter, vamps just as discoverable.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:13:17 pm by Ysyua »

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:32 pm »

Well, in my necromancer fort none of the necros are drinking booze, despite the working tavern. They are moving much more slowly than the unenlightened, and a few of them are getting distracted by the lack of booze.

The bigger concern is their slowness, since that's multiplying their distractions: It takes them so long to move around that by the time they've met one need (like worshipping, socializing, or doing something creative) they're already distracted because it's been so long since their last need was met.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 08:57:49 pm »

The facts:

I know you mean well, but this strikes me as a little condescending. I think a good number of us understand how vampires work (everyone who has posted has been a part of the forum for >1 year).

The new version/taverns suggest the need for some research. For me, I'm curious how the Serve Booze! job works. Do tavern keepers serve booze to those who ask for it? Or do they go to patrons who ask for it? If it's the former, it's possible that vamps are given booze and that eliminates one avenue for discovering vamps. If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter, vamps just as discoverable.

What's the difference? They serve alcohol "to those who ask for it." To do that, they go to patrons.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 10:13:32 pm »

The facts:

The new version/taverns suggest the need for some research. For me, I'm curious how the Serve Booze! job works. Do tavern keepers serve booze to those who ask for it? Or do they go to patrons who ask for it? If it's the former, it's possible that vamps are given booze and that eliminates one avenue for discovering vamps. If it's the latter, then it doesn't matter, vamps just as discoverable.

What's the difference? They serve alcohol "to those who ask for it." To do that, they go to patrons.
Whoops, I'm dumb, fixed my original post.

Conradine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2015, 12:10:45 pm »

How do you obtain a necromancer fort? All retired adventurers?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2015, 01:28:23 pm »

Necro books in a library :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: [1] 2