Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reliable one-way door?  (Read 2415 times)

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reliable one-way door?
« on: December 10, 2015, 10:47:49 am »

I used to use the "pressure plate in front of a hatch" trick. Unfortunately, jumping is a thing.

So: is there a decent one-way door available now?
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Reliable one-way door?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:28:53 am »

does the one-way ramp still work?

EDIT: according to the wiki, it doesn't. Sorry.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »

I used to use the "pressure plate in front of a hatch" trick. Unfortunately, jumping is a thing.

So: is there a decent one-way door available now?

I believe toady has said that anything one-way causes major problems with the pathing system, so no one-ways (either traffic designations or doors) are going to happen until he has time to rework the pathing for it.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 04:34:27 pm »

I would assume you can use several pressure plates in a row activated with a single hatch, so jumping isn't a thing. Also smoothed walls for no climbing.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 04:57:38 pm »

The basic design of one plate, one hatch still works for many applications, even if dwarfs will muck around and produce reams of cancellations.

My .40.24 example case was a trap array that goblins were supposed to enter (needed valid path into the fort) but that dwarfs weren't (they always wanted to clear goblin blood out of it). I.e. the array was just there to interrupt dwarfs' passage, goblins could have one-way passed over it but never made it through the trap - it offered a route for AI pathfinding that was never practically used. Whenever a dwarf tried to kill themselves in the minecart grinder, they passed over the pressure plate -> pressure plate lifted the hatch -> dwarf climbed into the air space over the pit -> decided it was "dangerous terrain" and returned the way they came, cancelling the job. It got really stupid when someone puked on the hatch cover and everyone tried cleaning it (can't be done while hatch is retracted) :P

Dwarfs will not climb or jump past holes if there's no urgent need (enemy in sight, complete lack of path while hungry/thirsty...). It's a different matter for intruders, they're significantly less susceptible to one-way designs now.

You can also make one-way passages that are dwarf-operated via lever:

-> ˘.ň.┼ ->

-> pathing direction
Before the lever is pulled, no-one'll path to the destination to the east, because the door is shut.
Once you give a "pull lever" order, a dwarf will walk across the closed hatch to get there. Pulling the lever retracts the hatch (revealing the pit underneath) and opens the door (opening path to the target where you want the dwarf to move). No other unit will willingly go there, because they won't path through the pit. In order to return to the west, the moved dwarf has to take another "pull lever" job, closing the door and extending the hatch again. Personalising the lever to the dwarf you wish to move/isolate allows control.

And you can move dwarfs along unwalkable paths via minecart, through "ride" jobs. Typical unwalkable but "rideable" features are statues, unwalkable workshop tiles, pits and water. Magma is also rideable, but spectacularly unsafe, delivering the riders as ‼riders‼ quite often.

EDIT: while magma-skipping is ridiculously unsafe for bystanders, it appears to be fairly safe for the rider. One skip off magma reliably failed to set dwarfs on fire.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:54:38 pm by Larix »

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 02:15:45 pm »

itp (or was it itg) made a magma-sea fortress, and with minecarts made a magma-skip route. Essentially, you get into the cart, give it a push, rollers accelerate you quickly, you go off the ledge, skip over magma, go through a fortification, and then touch down on another ledge.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!