Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Book Thread  (Read 6776 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: The Book Thread
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 11:59:22 pm »

You turn sheets into scrolls or quires, dwarves write on either. If it's a scroll they write and their done if it's a quire you can optinally bind it into a book.

kemoT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 03:05:36 pm »

Seems like a textbook from my school:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sorry for all grammar and spelling mistakes, English is not my native language.
I greet
kemoT

Kiloku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 09:32:03 pm »

Someone in Reddit's Dwarf Fortress subreddit got a Necromancer book in a trade caravan. Now a bunch of his dwarves have read it casually and became necromancers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/3wfkq1/well_look_what_the_merchant_caravan_brought_me/

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 09:48:24 pm »

Someone in Reddit's Dwarf Fortress subreddit got a Necromancer book in a trade caravan. Now a bunch of his dwarves have read it casually and became necromancers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/3wfkq1/well_look_what_the_merchant_caravan_brought_me/

Actually he brought the book to the fortress in adventure mode, the caravan brought a copy.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 11:32:07 pm »

Yeah, that was me. The real scoop of interest is that the caravan was bringing copies of an original text that was contained in my fortress at the time. In fact, all the texts the dwarven caravan brings are always copies of books from my own library, which leads me to suspect that mine is the civilization's only library. The copies, I assume, were generated during the calendar progression between game sessions.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 12:21:56 am »

So my library produced a bunch of books then stopped, I just designated it as a library from a table as well and that got two dwarves right to writing. Might be helpful.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2015, 10:46:08 am »

Yeah, that was me. The real scoop of interest is that the caravan was bringing copies of an original text that was contained in my fortress at the time. In fact, all the texts the dwarven caravan brings are always copies of books from my own library, which leads me to suspect that mine is the civilization's only library. The copies, I assume, were generated during the calendar progression between game sessions.
But how did they copy the entire content of your books? Did you give away copies? Do we all have kobold spies in our midst, while we're blissfully unaware?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »

But how did they copy the entire content of your books? Did you give away copies? Do we all have kobold spies in our midst, while we're blissfully unaware?
They memorized the entire book and re-wrote it from memory.
Alternatively, during the two weeks between adventurer retire and fortress unretire, the fortress dwarves copied the books and gave them away/allowed them to be stolen.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »

Found this gem in legends mode:

"First The Individual, Then The World!"

First The Individual, Then The World! was a legendary werecoyote parchment scroll. Written on the item is an essay entitled First the Individual, Then The World! authored by Irene Ripedipped. It concerns the value of independence. The writing bubbles over with cheerfulness. Overall, the prose is passable.

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »

Something written in my aquifer fortress:

"Journey To The Stars"

Cheesily, it is a simple manual about making star charts. I feel gypped.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 04:46:56 pm »

Honestly, that sounds like a textbooks chapter I've been forced to read. Dwarf Fortress: School Nightmares Returning.

I actually like school, but that textbook... urgh
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 [3]