Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How many guests do you get in your fort.  (Read 1452 times)

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many guests do you get in your fort.
« on: December 09, 2015, 07:07:06 am »

I just counted mine up. I've got 38 guests. That seems like a lot. I'm making a lot more drinks than I used to. I've also noticed that nobody ever seems to sing or dance anymore, so I'm wondering why I'm giving away all my hooch to a bunch of free-loading-good-for-nothing human bards. At least the poets occasionally do a recitation. Turning off the tavern to visitors doesn't seem to send them all packing very quickly.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many guests do you get in your fort.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:25:26 am »

I've still got 0 guests, despite having a fairly nice tavern (I think). Maybe visitors don't want to pass too close to the gobbo settlement in the way? The sieges may also block access and reputation. It's also possible the fact that the second trade liaison was killed by a titan (which allowed the caravan time to leave unmolested. He had a thick skull...) has blocked the reputation from spreading

It seems both food and drink are consumed at a brisker pace than before, so all of the higher consumption is probably not due to visitors.

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:51:36 am »

Sheesh, I'm up to 61 now and nobody is doing anything except for the two reading my books. I even got the announcement that a travelling troupe had come, but they don't seem to be doing anything differently than the rest. I'm not even sure who they are to be honest.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:16:00 am »

I've still got 0 guests, despite having a fairly nice tavern (I think). Maybe visitors don't want to pass too close to the gobbo settlement in the way?
Pathing and proximity to friendly populations seems to have a much greater impact than the quality of your tavern. Set up an awful mud hole of a tavern right next to a human town and you'll be flooded with visitors.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 09:20:38 am »

I've still got 0 guests, despite having a fairly nice tavern (I think). Maybe visitors don't want to pass too close to the gobbo settlement in the way?
Pathing and proximity to friendly populations seems to have a much greater impact than the quality of your tavern. Set up an awful mud hole of a tavern right next to a human town and you'll be flooded with visitors.

This seems to be the major factor. Since word of The Warm Anvil spread, I've been overrun with artsy hipster-humans from the nearby town who are too cool to drink in human taverns. Only two scholars have come, which I assume has to do with being far from any other library.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Bakaridjan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 09:30:53 am »

At 63, I closed my tavern and temples to visitors. All of my guests went an packed into the library so I turned that off too. Now they're all camping out around my well. It's so tempting to figure out how to get some magma over there, or maybe just unleash an Ettin in the middle of the crowd. Go home! Drink your own crappy beer!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 09:40:18 am »

You do know there is a d_init cap for visitors now, right?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:45:41 am »

94 guests, and I only now noticed that there's people like a human cook, a goblin fishery worker and a few other "civilians" visiting the tavern besides the hundreds of mercs, bards and other performers that have visited during the years.

I wonder if those people would apply for residence, would they agree to do some work that the mercs and performers can't be ordered to.

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:46:36 pm »

I just counted mine up. I've got 38 guests. That seems like a lot. I'm making a lot more drinks than I used to. I've also noticed that nobody ever seems to sing or dance anymore, so I'm wondering why I'm giving away all my hooch to a bunch of free-loading-good-for-nothing human bards. At least the poets occasionally do a recitation. Turning off the tavern to visitors doesn't seem to send them all packing very quickly.

Toady mentioned fixing a bug where no-one would play instruments. Perhaps with the music next release, we'll get dancers as well? I'm hoping so; I accepted a performance troupe for long-term residency, hoping to see some dances.  So far, nothing but poetry recitations.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 01:44:17 pm »

:(
My forts have had 7 guest tops.
(all of the forts were lost to the demon Savocoruptio)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 03:49:52 pm »

At 63, I closed my tavern and temples to visitors. All of my guests went an packed into the library so I turned that off too. Now they're all camping out around my well. It's so tempting to figure out how to get some magma over there, or maybe just unleash an Ettin in the middle of the crowd. Go home! Drink your own crappy beer!

Wells are a problem solver all of their own. Build a wall around it, then engineer some flooding from it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.