Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: an issue with strange mood  (Read 1787 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
an issue with strange mood
« on: December 08, 2015, 09:47:29 pm »

so one of my dwarves went into a strange mood, he is a craftsdwarf
i didnt have any craftsdwarf workshops built when he went into the mood so i built one

now that its built he still stands at the waggon not moving even though the workshop is but a few feet away from him

ive had this issue in the past and have never been able to figure it out
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: an issue with strange mood
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 09:53:10 pm »

What's his highest skill? Try building a leather workshop and clothiers workshop and see if he likes those.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 10:00:43 pm »

What's his highest skill? Try building a leather workshop and clothiers workshop and see if he likes those.
his profession is craftsdwarf
also i already had a leather and clothiers workshop

its the newest version so i cant dwarf therapist anything

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 10:04:22 pm »

His title doesn't matter.  His skills do.  "Craftsdwarf" is a generic category anyway, for dwarves that have multiple skills and can't choose just one.

Either look at the skills and figure out which one is actually highest, or make every possible workshop for each Crafting skill.  The Craftdwarf's Workshop covers several of them (Stone, Wood, Bone) but there's still the Clothier's, a Forge for Metalcrafting, etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 10:11:54 pm »

His title doesn't matter.  His skills do.  "Craftsdwarf" is a generic category anyway, for dwarves that have multiple skills and can't choose just one.

Either look at the skills and figure out which one is actually highest, or make every possible workshop for each Crafting skill.  The Craftdwarf's Workshop covers several of them (Stone, Wood, Bone) but there's still the Clothier's, a Forge for Metalcrafting, etc.

This. Also try building a kiln and glass furnace.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 03:23:48 am »

Build every kind of shop. I haven't encountered a siege workshop mood or a kiln one, but certainly a bowyer one. I'd say smelter, wood furnace, ashery, and soapery aren't probably moodable either. However, if you've got limited dorfpower I'd check the wiki to see which shops are mood supporting.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

>its the newest version so i cant dwarf therapist anything
nope, dwarf therapist's released for new version.
(Last source worksforme on Linux at least)
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 09:10:15 am »

>its the newest version so i cant dwarf therapist anything
nope, dwarf therapist's released for new version.
(Last source worksforme on Linux at least)
cant find it, link?

also i would prefer windows but i have linux too

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 09:16:24 am »

Linux - I've built myself from source in here: https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases
windows - build is included there.
Also, it crashes on some tabs, but labors tab works fully.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 09:37:03 am »

ok so i guess i had told my dwarves to build a clothiers workshop but they hadn't gotten around to doing it yet

its the start of winter and i have no thread of any kind

is it likely that he will survive the winter until the elves show up and i can buy some rope reed and wool?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 10:23:27 am »

its the start of winter and i have no thread of any kind

is it likely that he will survive the winter until the elves show up and i can buy some rope reed and wool?

No.  (Also, in my fortress the elves didn't bring any rope reed.  That may just be a deficiency in my local elves, though.)

That said: IIRC a fabric demand will be for one of the three different types: plant fiber cloth, animal hair wool, or spider silk.  Having the other two won't help if you're missing what he needs.  I suppose that if you care enough, you could go venturing in the caverns for some silk.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:25:17 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 11:41:45 am »

If you've got shearable animals, shear them for wool and spin it. Also follow greycat's advice to try go get hold of silk. You should also scour the surface for any threshable plants (and make sure the still won't nick the rope reed; I think most others can not be brewed). If you find anything useful at the surface, you should also set up surface farm plots (I usually channel down one level and roof it over to secure it. That requires a second soil level, of course).

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 01:51:02 pm »

The Bureau of Not Having Eyes Explode kindly requests that a capital letter be placed at the beginning of every sentence.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 02:26:34 pm »

The Bureau of Not Having Eyes Explode kindly requests that a capital letter be placed at the beginning of every sentence.

proper capitalization? aint nobody got time fo dat!

*running around screaming in the caverns trying to get cave spider silk cause urist McPosessed dosnt like llama cloth or rope reed cloth*

i cant believe how long it took me to just v-z-enter to see that he "prefers phantom spider silk" i hope he dosnt mind GSC silk

i now have an artifact...... headscarf....

the heck is a headscarf? ive NEVER seen one before, is it something in the new version?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 03:01:29 pm by steel jackal »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »

the heck is a headscarf? ive NEVER seen one before, is it something in the new version?

According to the raws, it's a piece of clothing, worn on the head, which some Elf and Human civilizations may use.  It's not normally a possibility for Dwarf civs, but strange moods bypass that.
Pages: [1] 2