Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Procedurally Generated? Awesome.  (Read 1574 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Procedurally Generated? Awesome.
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:11:49 pm »

One of my procedurally generated instruments is a bone-and-leather handheld bellows.  It directs air through stone pipes that are chosen by the player via a keyboard on the device.  Two hundred and forty-six different stone pipes, some of which are flue and some of which are reed.

This thing is Satan's own accordion.  To contrast, a normal accordion can have (if my shoddy understanding is correct) about eight to ten reed pipes.  I have no idea what the flue pipes are, or what they do, but it can't be anything good.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Procedurally Generated? Awesome.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:17 pm »

According to a brief google search, a flue pipe is a whistle; so in addition to the overcompensation of a hundred wheezing tones from a standard accordion, you've got some shrill screaming like a hundred referees calling the accompanying dancers out of bounds. I'll bet that thing was invented as a terror weapon, if Romans ran away from bagpipe players elves would surely flee from a dozen of those whatzits.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:40:57 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 11:43:56 pm »

I think the number of pipes on things might be a bug. Mine often stretch into the hundreds too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 12:19:33 am »

Dwarves are smart enough to understand that 12-tet sounds wrong in every single scale so they provide pipes in just intonation for each of the available scale.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 05:06:03 am »

Or it is a small organ. I mean, you do need a single pipe for each note, and it seems to have two registers (sets of pipes), since it is "hand-held" it is something like a Portative.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 05:19:02 am »

since it is "hand-held" it is something like a Portative.

Wow, I had no idea such a thing existed! Dwarf Fortress: it's educational.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:39:47 am »

... though I do actually sort of prefer the "just intonation" explanation...
But yeah: DF is educational. I ended up in an Earth Science department, and all I know about rocks I know from DF! (they hired me for my stats skills...)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.