Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: traction benches necessary?? ?  (Read 2467 times)

stealthsilent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
traction benches necessary?? ?
« on: December 07, 2015, 11:04:54 pm »

Do you need traction benches in your hospital, or can you just have splints instead and tables and beds and that's it?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: traction benches necessary?? ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 11:09:58 pm »

Lack of traction benches means that certain breaks can't be immobilized properly.
Considering their relatively small expense, there is little point to not having at least one in your hospital, unless you're lacking things like chains, in which case you can get one as soon as you get enough to spare. Mechanisms and tables can be made from rock, and so are a superfluous requirement for these purposes. The chain however, assuming you do not have one yet, requires either fabric industry, metal industry, or getting one in a trade.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:32:53 am »

And organic chains are called ropes. You want a cloth making industry (or caravan purchases) to satisfy moods anyway. I tend to make 4 ropes early on: 3 for traction benches and one for a well (and I believe the standard embark setup contains 3 ropes, by the way).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:48:59 am »

If one of your dwarves requires traction, it should show up as such in their health screen.  I think you may even get red job failure notices about not having a traction bench, but it's been a while and maybe I'm mis-remembering.  In any case, it's a low priority piece of furniture unless one of your dwarves actually gets into this state.  (It's rare, because a dwarf this severly injured who is still alive is rare.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:56:41 am »

They are rarely needed and you can go decades without them.  Just build one in your hospital and forget about it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:58:58 am »

They are rarely needed and you can go decades without them.  Just build one in your hospital and forget about it.
But if it's well-made then your patients and medical staff can admire it.  So not totally worthless.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map