Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not removing items from trade depot  (Read 5268 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not removing items from trade depot
« on: December 06, 2015, 09:39:57 am »

I am having quite the problem with my trade depot. My dwarves will some items but not others. Some of these items being my high quality steel weapons, which then get stolen by Keas.

I know it's not a stockpile problem as I have plenty of space and some of the items were taken from stockpiles in the first place.

I need help before all my good stuff gets stolen.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not removing items from trade depot
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:47:55 am »

check your job list. are there a bunch of jobs listed as "move item to depot" not being handled?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:52:05 am »

My two biggest suggestions is, one, to find a few dwarves and make them full time haulers with nothing else to do. Two, secure your depot from flyers by roofing it over and pasturing a guard animal or two inside. The Kaes will be forced to land to get inside, and a pasture will give the guard animals free range of the entire depot to murderize them.

Might get a little messy, but those damn birds won't get your weapons. :3

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:02:05 am »

check your job list. are there a bunch of jobs listed as "move item to depot" not being handled?

No, no jobs.

My two biggest suggestions is, one, to find a few dwarves and make them full time haulers with nothing else to do. Two, secure your depot from flyers by roofing it over and pasturing a guard animal or two inside. The Kaes will be forced to land to get inside, and a pasture will give the guard animals free range of the entire depot to murderize them.

Might get a little messy, but those damn birds won't get your weapons. :3
I have a ton of people with no job so that's not it, and I am in the process of moving my trade depot, but am currently besieged by roughly 50 zombies and don't plan on going outside.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 11:24:30 am »

Hauling stuff from the trade depot seems to be about as low a priority hauling task there is, based on 0.40.24 experience. It takes a lot of idling to get the buggers to consider clearing out the trade depot.

Moving item TO the depot is relevant only while a caravan is in it or on the way to it.

If your trade depot is outside and you're under siege, I wouldn't be surprised of you have a civilian alert burrow blocking the haulers from going to the trade depot, so I'd verify that the depot is actually inside the burrow.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 02:17:29 pm »

In my experience this has always been a problem, going back a very long time. It's like they will choose ANY job before hauling depot items, and will only do it if there is basically nothing else left to do.

Maybe it has something to do with more distant jobs being far less desirable, so if you have stone laying around and crafters churning out goods, they're content to stay inside doing that instead. Even having a lot of dwarves with only hauling as a possible job at the time doesn't seem to be enough to reliably bring goods inside in a remotely reasonable amount of time. Years in when there is less mining being done and such it gets a little better, but in my experience it's common for items to still be in the depot when the next caravan arrives.

The best way I've been able to deal with the problem is making a very short route that is able to easily be blocked by a drawbridge. Arranging it so my stockpiles are directly under the depot, with a few guard animals nearby since it makes it easier for thieves and snatchers to get in. Just close it up when you're not trading. Depending on your layout it's not always practical but you gotta do what you gotta do.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 03:22:37 pm »

Hauling problems?

Look over all your stockpiles that have haulers working them.

• No free room to store your new goodies?  You need more/better stockpiles!  Remember, if you don't have a stockpile that allows gems, you'll never get those gems out of the Depot.
  • Too many haulers on some inconsequential stockpile? Then give it wheelbarrows (if it has none), or reduce the wheelbarrows it has.  Active haulers jobs for a stockpile are limited to its
    wheelbarrow setting, or unlimited if you give it no wheelbarrows
  • Haulers ignoring haul jobs you consider a priority?  Find all your stockpiles that are taking goods from anywhere, and turn that off.  Haulers will stop hauling for those piles and move onto other (probably more urgent) piles.

Mean nasty kea's getting at your goodies from trading?
  • Trade indoors.  Get a roof in, and a hallway.
  • Fit in archers or war dogs to keep the riff-raff out.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 07:53:15 pm »

I usually have few dwarves doing nothing but hauling to sort this out. Usually everyone in my militia is on hauling duty when not training plus about 20 or so more just to be sure in a 120 dwarf fort. Depending on what I am doing in the fort of course. I usually have all my farmers solely on hauling food, corpses and remains as well, since that has an extra urgent priority.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 12:13:49 pm »

Lots of people suggesting that it's just low priority. I don't get how you can get lower priority than a bunch of "No Job" dwarves. It is not that.

Hauling stuff from the trade depot seems to be about as low a priority hauling task there is, based on 0.40.24 experience. It takes a lot of idling to get the buggers to consider clearing out the trade depot.

Moving item TO the depot is relevant only while a caravan is in it or on the way to it.

If your trade depot is outside and you're under siege, I wouldn't be surprised of you have a civilian alert burrow blocking the haulers from going to the trade depot, so I'd verify that the depot is actually inside the burrow.

Completely irrelevant. As I said they move some items but not others. They clearly have access and time to move them.

Hauling problems?

Look over all your stockpiles that have haulers working them.

• No free room to store your new goodies?  You need more/better stockpiles!  Remember, if you don't have a stockpile that allows gems, you'll never get those gems out of the Depot.
  • Too many haulers on some inconsequential stockpile? Then give it wheelbarrows (if it has none), or reduce the wheelbarrows it has.  Active haulers jobs for a stockpile are limited to its
    wheelbarrow setting, or unlimited if you give it no wheelbarrows
  • Haulers ignoring haul jobs you consider a priority?  Find all your stockpiles that are taking goods from anywhere, and turn that off.  Haulers will stop hauling for those piles and move onto other (probably more urgent) piles.

Mean nasty kea's getting at your goodies from trading?
  • Trade indoors.  Get a roof in, and a hallway.
  • Fit in archers or war dogs to keep the riff-raff out.

Tried adding multiple stockpiles of both the items needing to be removed an "everything" stockpile. Nothing.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 12:30:05 pm »

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Use (d, b) to make sure all the items in the depot are claimed, go to the orders menu to make sure dwarves are set to collect refuse from outside, make sure you have an indoor one-tile garbage dump zone, then mark all the trade depot goods for dumping.

If that doesn't rescue the goods, then the keas will have already won.

Szkeptik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 02:30:28 pm »

I had similar issues in earlier versions. Deconstructing the Depot helped sometimes. Are you sure the items aren't still marked for trading?