Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: used bolts  (Read 856 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
used bolts
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:09:35 pm »

In the past i was cleaning my map from all the used (but not broken) bolts by simply mass reclaiming/dumping them into my simple atom smasher.
The reason was that as it's impossible to recreate stack (and still after all those years still not possible) , if i didn't dump them they were taking way too much place in my stockpiles.

But since i'm now using quantum stockpile, having tons of "stack of one" bolt isn't a problem anymore.

So i am wondering if instead of atom smashing them all, should i keep them for my marksdwarves ?

I mean are marksdwarves able to pick up a lot of those "stack of one" bolts or are they considering their quiver full as those lonely bolt are still considered a stack by the game ?

I would like to avoid a marksdwarf shooting a bolt, then instead of picking another one from the quiver having to path back all the way to the stockpile to take another stack.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: used bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 01:07:03 pm »

They will try to pick up all those "stack of one" bolts until their quiver reaches full capacity each time they get a pickup equipment job for bolts (usually 25, but I believe they have been known to pick up more if the large stack of bolts are the last stack they pick up, or they get their hands on enemy stacks which can go up to 40 i think).  So no, they won't path all the way back if you make sure that your ammo stockpile has more than sufficient bolts and they are assigned via the military ammunition screen.

You can always place a bolt stockpile right in their archery range though.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 01:11:02 pm »

The only real issue with claiming the single bolts is it will take more traditional stockpile space, but archers can still hold the same amount of arrows regardless of if they are in stacks or not.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:07:24 pm »

Ah thank you, this is good to know.
So i'll cease the atom smashing and keep all those single bolts in the available quantum stockpile if they will still pick up to 25 of the "stack of one" to fill their quiver.

Better than having to reforge them.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:23:24 pm »

Better than having to reforge them.
ALthough... You could melt the single bolts, which will give you more metal than is required to make that bolt :) (each melted bold gives .1 bars of metal, and one bar of metal makes 25 bolts)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:55:04 pm »

The problem with 25x1 bolt and just 20xbolts in one stack is weight. 20xbolts in one stack weights a lot lower than 25x1 bolt. You can see it by tracking how much ticks your dwarf need to pass by one tile or just see it in adventure mode.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:03:06 pm »

Thanks for pointing this, hmm will have to reforge i guess, that's going to take a lot of time.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 09:04:18 pm »

What I do is task those single bolts to be brought to my Trade Depot. Using DFHack, I can hit shift-enter to select everything in my Depot, and then I sell it to the next caravan to buy more bolts from them. I haven't bothered to figure out whether or not that's cost effective, because the more transactions I make, the higher my negotiator skill goes up, the better bargaining rewards I manage.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 10:14:45 am »

What I do is task those single bolts to be brought to my Trade Depot. Using DFHack, I can hit shift-enter to select everything in my Depot, and then I sell it to the next caravan to buy more bolts from them. I haven't bothered to figure out whether or not that's cost effective, because the more transactions I make, the higher my negotiator skill goes up, the better bargaining rewards I manage.
I thought there was a limit on how much the trader skill could go up from each caravan. And that it's tied to dwarf money, not number of transactions.

And for the most part, I can only get them to accept trades where their profit is roughly half the value of the things and this barely ever changes, even when they're ecstatic.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 12:46:48 pm »

It's possible that my info about the Negotiatior skill is out of date, since I haven't double checked since 0.28.xx, but either way, it gets the single bolts off my map in a way that lets me get more bolts.

I'm hardly an expert or have done an intense statistical analysis, but I feel like Elves and humans tend to want about 200% profit to start with, and with a high enough negotiator skill, will come down to 150%. Dwarves seem to start at 150%, and don't budge much.

Most players seem to play in a way that generates lots of surplus, from what I can tell, so by the time they could level up their trader, they're making enough to buy out the caravan every time already. Now that stone supplies are much less (and much less bothersome) to deal with, I'm trying to take a different approach and so I end up being rather a tightwad at trading time.