Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collecting Books for the World's Greatest Library  (Read 1711 times)

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Collecting Books for the World's Greatest Library
« on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:47 pm »

I have never played Adventure Mode before but I want to build a fortress that is the greatest cultural center in the world.  Of course I will need a library of the world's great books.  So once I get my fort up and running I want to retire it, create an adventurer, and begin touring (or robbing) the worlds libraries.  Once my collection is complete I'd like my traveling scholar/thief to join my fortress, with all of his books, after I unretire it.   I am hoping some of the AM veterans here can give me some advice.  The two big questions on my mind are, what type of character should I create and where do I find libraries?

Ideally I would like to avoid fighting as much as possible because it seems like it would be a steep learning curve.  Would it be possible for a non-violent scholar to travel the world collecting books?  Is there a way to get in to towers without fighting?  I have never created a character before and some tips on what attributes I should focus on would be much appreciated. 

I know there are books in towers but I have no idea how to search for other libraries in this latest version.  I have poked around in the PerfectWorld legends viewer but I haven't been able to find any mention of libraries.  Any thoughts on how to find libraries?

Also, would it be possible to find the world's greatest poets and record their poems in a book?  If so how would I go about finding the best poets?

Thanks!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Collecting Books for the World's Greatest Library
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 10:11:39 pm »

Try wrestling a rabbit. You can get pretty good skills.

As for the other stuff, you need to be a reader of at least Novice to be able to read (obviously), but for stealing nothing really matters. (Anyone can see, to me?)

Try large cities? Stealthy characters are better in general if you aren't going the HAMMER OF ARMOK or SWORD TO THE WORLD technique, IMHO.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 08:01:19 am »

I have never played Adventure Mode before but I want to build a fortress that is the greatest cultural center in the world.  Of course I will need a library of the world's great books.  So once I get my fort up and running I want to retire it, create an adventurer, and begin touring (or robbing) the worlds libraries.  Once my collection is complete I'd like my traveling scholar/thief to join my fortress, with all of his books, after I unretire it.   I am hoping some of the AM veterans here can give me some advice.  The two big questions on my mind are, what type of character should I create and where do I find libraries?

Ideally I would like to avoid fighting as much as possible because it seems like it would be a steep learning curve.  Would it be possible for a non-violent scholar to travel the world collecting books?  Is there a way to get in to towers without fighting?  I have never created a character before and some tips on what attributes I should focus on would be much appreciated. 

I know there are books in towers but I have no idea how to search for other libraries in this latest version.  I have poked around in the PerfectWorld legends viewer but I haven't been able to find any mention of libraries.  Any thoughts on how to find libraries?

Also, would it be possible to find the world's greatest poets and record their poems in a book?  If so how would I go about finding the best poets?

Thanks!

Look for a library in legends mode and go to it (they are under the structures list (in the new version)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 01:55:38 pm »

If you want to avoid fighting, you might try starting with some skill at dancing.  A good dancer can easily recruit a group of people to perform together, who will also serve as bodyguards.  This won't get you into towers, though, unless your group does a lot of fighting along the way and gets really good at it.

As for attributes, you'll want strength to carry all those books, and agility in case you do get caught in a battle and need to fight or run away.  I think intuition helps with lots of things, and creativity and musicality are good if you're going to perform to gather a group.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.  I like this idea of collecting bodyguards by busting a groove 8)  How realistic do you thing it would be to collect a fighting dance troupe that could take out a tower?  Is there anyway to get in to a tower without fighting?  I thought I recall a thread mentioning that the undead wouldn't attack vampires or were-creatures? 

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 08:35:54 pm »

So make an elf who have as high as you can agility and endurance. It will allow you to run/sprint fast and for long time. You will find libararies in legend viewever, tab is named structures.

To raid a tower, just drop your backpack in place, which is easy to remember for you and run in tower direction. Wait for beings inside to swarm out and lure them to your "companions", then run/sprint into tower, grab what you need and sprint back. Do not forget your backpack. Remember to not coming back directly to your fortress - zombies will be tracking you whole time, even when you go away from Them, They will be fallowing you. To solve that, find some nice room in castle for your templorary book storage. When you will have enough books, wait a week in town and Then go to your fortress.

WARNING: Zombies which are tracking you will randomly start fights with cyvilians in city where is your stash. It can be suprising when you are slowly sneak and Then somebody is running in terror and after him some coprse. Soldiers are not helping cyvilians, so They are slaughtered, but when They will focus on other target, dp They will forget about you.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »

I'm trying to figure out the parts about the libraries myself, but I do have a few general adventure mode comments: First, Last night, before I lost my progress to the tavern crash, (don't sleep in tavern rooms in this version,) I found four books in the catacombs beneath the castle of my local town. These books were fairly dull tomes about the history of the surrounding hamlets, but it's the largest haul of books that I've found so far.

This brings me to my second point: Books are probably going to be in dangerous places, and you're going to have to travel a lot through open country, so even if you don't want to make your character into a blood-soaked death machine, I would still put in some time doing a pretty standard adventure mode training program. With just a little bit of grinding, you can massively increase your survivability and your character attributes, so at the very least you can go out on a couple of adventures worthy of song to get it out of your scholar's system. Some general tips:

- Stat-wise, you probably want to put points in Strength, Agility, and Willpower. (Willpower keeps you from passing out due to pain. My understanding is that it's less important than it used to be, but passing out in combat is still an insta-death, so...)

- One of the easiest things you can do is train throwing. I usually do this before I do anything else. Walk out of town and throw rocks for half a day, and you can get both thrower and archer up to Legendary. Thrown rocks are almost useless in combat with humanoid enemies in this version, but they will kill small animals in one hit, making it easy to get food out in the wilderness. If you can get some crossbow bolts, though, you can throw them ninja-style in combat, and this can be a good way to get an edge even without training any other skills.

- Get some armor as fast as you can. It can be crappy armor, but try to get full coverage. Lots of random enemies have crappy weapons, and against a silver shortsword even a copper gauntlet can be the difference between a bruise and major nerve damage. I've been having a harder time getting armor in this version vs. previous versions. Previously I'd find pieces in hamlet mansions or the catacombs under towns, but Toady seems to have cleaned those up a bit. Other sources are bandits, (rare) armor stores, and, of course, companions who charge into battle unwisely.

- Once you have full armor coverage, wrestle small animals. Good candidates are rabbits, ducks, and (my favorite) horseshoe crabs. Put away your weapon, sneak up on it, and use the wrestling menu to grab it with one hand/arm. Then use another appendage to grab and release the animal repeatedly, while holding on with the first appendage (so that the critter can't get away.) This will train wrestling and fighting. If you like on the ground (so that you can't dodge,) and let the animal hit you while you do this, you'll train armor user, and the animal can't actually hurt you through your armor. (Mostly. Sometimes, you'll get a broken ear or lose a tooth.) If you hold a shield while doing this, you can train shield user, and if you do this while standing you can train dodge as well. Just be sure to train armor user and shield user before dodge, because if dodge gets too high, you'll almost never get hit, even when lying down, meaning that armor user won't go up anymore. And, you can just release your horseshoe crab back onto the beach when you're done!

- Once you've completed the previous step, weapon skills are pretty easy to train by fighting with a goblin/bandit or two, since they'll basically never land a blow on you, and you can keep parrying their attacks to train weapon skills. Be careful, though, because they gain skill from this, so you want to kill them, disable them, or scare them off before they become too powerful.

If you do all of the above, then even if you don't want to wander across the land waging war on your foes, you can still look for books in the forgotten places beneath towns without worrying that the next lone goblin maceman you meet is going to be your doom.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 12:15:30 pm by Blue_J »

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 03:29:23 pm »

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 04:35:49 pm »

Funny, I had the same dream goal. Eh, great minds think alike, I suppose. My plan was to go as something with as many arms as possible, so that multi-tasking would be easy. Plus, climbing would be a breeze, especially when you're being chased in town, where hopping from rooftop to rooftop with ease. However, you all make a fair point with spending points into strength and endurance. I hadn't even thought of that.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 06:06:29 pm »

I am an indie game dev!

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 10:16:20 pm »

A lot of books don't end up in libraries, especially if they're written in the early years of the world. You're going to want to keep a copy of the save to be able to check legend mode to find out which hamlets and hillocks you're going to need to check out for a book tossed in the corner of some peasant's shack. I've got a modded game and it's ridiculous how many slabs containing secrets that drastically increase stats have been used as a coffee table for the past three hundred years.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:35 am »

A lot of books don't end up in libraries, especially if they're written in the early years of the world. You're going to want to keep a copy of the save to be able to check legend mode to find out which hamlets and hillocks you're going to need to check out for a book tossed in the corner of some peasant's shack. I've got a modded game and it's ridiculous how many slabs containing secrets that drastically increase stats have been used as a coffee table for the past three hundred years.

haha so true.
Ive seen this.
I am an indie game dev!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 01:06:29 am »

I found my first book! Just a codex describing the hamlet where I found it, but it's better than nothing. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Iamblichus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 08:42:57 am »

Funny, I had the same dream goal. Eh, great minds think alike, I suppose.

Yea I love books, and I love spending an hour or two in a used book store. I have way too many of them in real life.  I never dreamed of a video game where I could build a great library.  Thanks Toady!

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 02:53:46 pm »

Yea I love books, and I love spending an hour or two in a used book store. I have way too many of them in real life.  I never dreamed of a video game where I could build a great library.  Thanks Toady!

If you ever want to open an AB (anonymous bibliophiles) - Club, you can sign me in. Withou my name of course, cause anonymous and such...