Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Those Keas!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.  (Read 6273 times)

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Those Keas!! DAMN THEM ALL TO HELL.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 11:15:45 pm »

Only unconcious with a severed head?  Them kea's sound like real trouble.

Tip's for stockpile management.

Inspect a stockpile, any pile.
You have several settings to control how dwarves interact with stockpiles.
  • Want to suspend stone collection until other chores are done?  Mark your stone stockpile 'Will Take From Links Only' and delete any take items in its list.
  • Want to limit it to just one haul job at a time?  Set 'Max Wheelbarrow'.  Likewise, setting it to 3 limits it to 3 dwarves.
  • Want all hands on task for a haul, if they don't have other jobs?  Set 'Max Wheelbarrow' to 0.  Yeah, they'll lug the heavy stuff the hard way, but now there's no real limit on your dwarves carrying capacity
  • Want them to use more than 3 wheelbarrows?  Split the stock pile into two, assign 3 wheelbarrows to each sub-pile

Hope that helps you with managing your haulers!
//Torrenal
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:32:53 pm by Torrenal »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 01:41:37 am »

BUAHAHAHAHA VENGEANCE IS MINE.

I too ended up facing Giant Keas instead of regular Keas. But this time I was ready for them.

I sent out my Marksdwarves out immediately. My fortress entrance is on a penninsula that juts out from a cliff and is flanked on 3 of four sides by a cliff and rivers below, the land side walled off and with a bridge.

They shot two of those bastards out of the sky and they plummeted to their doom in the river below. I watched in pleasure as their blood flowed downstream. One made off with a plump helmet stew (no idea where it got that,) another fled after taking a hit. The last fell into the yard with my marksdwarves who then swarmed around it and proceeded to bash it with their crossbows and pummel it with their fists. To my surprise, a number of civilians joined in on the beatdown. I thought civilians always fled combat but a random soapmaker and a few others really went to town on it.

I grin in satisfaction as the Giant Kea takes a savage curb stomping from the mob. 48 pages of ruthless bludgeoning later, someone with an iron crossbow finally bashed its head in exploding it into gore.

Most of them "feel vengeful after joining an existing conflict."

Yes. Yes we do.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

PFunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 05:13:53 am »

Now isn't that better than editing DF to prune the fun down?  :D

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 07:19:50 am »

Relevant :

They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 07:34:46 am »

austinwelser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 07:51:34 am »

fucking keas steal every damn thing they can get their grubby claws on.

I wonder if they would be strong enough to nab  kobold?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:53:39 am by austinwelser »

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Beer loving Gentledwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 08:05:27 am »

fucking keas steal every damn thing they can get their grubby claws on.

I wonder if they would be strong enough to nab  kobold?

[STEAL_SENTIENT]

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 08:09:04 am »

[STEAL_SENTIENT]

This would be really cool. Gargoyle invader child snatchers.

Wait... Would sticking [FLYING] (or whatever the tag is, idk) onto a gobbo child snatcher achieve the same effect?

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 08:27:16 am »

Yeah, they need a weight limit.

I remember people saying keas stole their anvils.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 09:20:44 am »

Keas are like Warhammer 40k orks. If they just believe they can steal something it works.

I wonder if they would steal cages with prisoners.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 10:37:58 am »

Only unconcious with a severed head?  Them kea's sound like real trouble.
It's well documented that although decapitation is impossible to survive, it's not an instant death.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 10:48:04 am »

Yes, there's nothing more enjoyable than watching your marksdwarves shoot those thieving little punks out of the sky and then they immediately reanimate because you embarked in an evil biome and OH GOD KEA CORPSES EVERYWHERE THEY'RE LIKE FLYING TERMINATORS HOLY SH-

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 11:30:09 am »

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
[IGNITE_POINT:9900]

Stick this in their raws and they should burst into flames shortly after arrival.

Alternatively, you can give dwarves an interaction that lets them telepathically murder keas on sight.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 11:49:37 am »

One of my fortresses, I had to cheat using DFHack to construct a hollow obsidian monolith to contain buggy items that keas kept on stealing, which resulted in crashing my game, once they left the site. After I pinned down the items that caused the problems (trial and error, and predictable birds), I constructed said monolith, and teleported all the problem items inside it, seeing as apparently deleting them one way or another also crashed the game.

For the sake of the site, I had to at least engrave it to make it look cooler, and so the dwarves had something less creepy to look at that a master engraver made himself. It's more or less a tourist landmark for the site now. Cue the 2001: Space Odyssey music.

DrunkGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:53 am »

One of my fortresses, I had to cheat using DFHack to construct a hollow obsidian monolith to contain buggy items that keas kept on stealing, which resulted in crashing my game, once they left the site. After I pinned down the items that caused the problems (trial and error, and predictable birds), I constructed said monolith, and teleported all the problem items inside it, seeing as apparently deleting them one way or another also crashed the game.

For the sake of the site, I had to at least engrave it to make it look cooler, and so the dwarves had something less creepy to look at that a master engraver made himself. It's more or less a tourist landmark for the site now. Cue the 2001: Space Odyssey music.

Duuuuuun

Duuuuun

Duuuuuuuun

DUUUDUUUUUUUUN
Pages: 1 [2] 3