Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponized literature  (Read 1563 times)

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weaponized literature
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:25:54 pm »

So the commander of my militia also happens to be a writer. He authored this cheerful little book about the history of an elven settlement:

Rather than stash his work in the library, however, he has instead decided to, um... run around hitting people with it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponized literature
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:28:50 pm »

"You will learn!  By osmosis!  Now!"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:08 pm »

Best use of books.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:28:16 am »

I'm trying to get a handle on how books are written. Was your commander also assigned to a Library as a Scholar/Scribe, or did he just write it on a whim?

sensei_shade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 12:31:14 am »

I have a milker running around with his poorly written report about a hillock somewhere that's he's beaten two giant grey langurs to death with. It's pretty awesome.

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 01:15:49 am »

Released for less thab a week and already the new features are being used to kill people

Of course, simply bashing people with a book is not properly dwarfy. Now, if books were discovered to be infinitely stackable, or capable of being enormously dense depending on the materials used to make then...
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 01:58:03 am »

"This is a slade bound codex..."

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 03:32:05 am »

Reminds me of the stories of how in the olden days dwarves would carry the artifacts they made around with them no matter how impractical the size.
It's FEF, not FEOF

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:39:41 am »

... like the Mighty Organs with the 100s of pipes they are building now? ;)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

mispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 08:59:33 am »

I'm trying to get a handle on how books are written. Was your commander also assigned to a Library as a Scholar/Scribe, or did he just write it on a whim?

Pretty sure he had it when he migrated. Guest scholars definitely write stuff in the library though, and I'd imagine people you assign do as well, assuming the materials and desks/chairs/bookcases are there.