Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Paper-Making 101  (Read 17883 times)

Brody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paper-Making 101
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »

I assume on papyrus vs paper vs parchment that it's also a matter of value. Unless maybe plant gathering skill allows you to procure higher quality papyrus. Presumably paper vs parchment is an availability question.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 03:50:10 pm »

Not skills, I've verified that. Knowledge? Perhaps. But I could have sworn knowledge was represented as a skill.
Does that mean Appraiser could pass on his knowledge in a book?  I'm trying to find a way to increase appraiser skill, as it decays quite quickly unless you're trading, and you can't tell your fortress value without it.

If you have a skilled appraiser, you might be able to transmit that skill by making him a scholar; there are the new master-apprentice type discussion sessions that take place in libraries now, where a group of students can learn from a skilled dwarf.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 03:58:29 pm »

Parchment definitely tends to have a higher value than pig-tail sheet. I haven't found a Papyrus plant yet, so no information there.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 04:55:02 pm »

Moving quires to a coffer in a library seems to be a low priority task.  It took forever to get a dwarf to write a book about funnels.

Also everyone keeps having dinner at the library's tables and chairs.

Why do they ignore the sign I put up? It says, "No Eating in the Library." We have a perfectly good tavern, go eat in there!
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 05:05:45 pm »

Still waiting before trying the new version, but I'm super excited by it.

Can you decorate books? I really want them to be encrusted with gems and bone spikes.

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 05:12:43 pm »

Still waiting before trying the new version, but I'm super excited by it.

Can you decorate books? I really want them to be encrusted with gems and bone spikes.

I think book bindings are your only decoration right now, but you might be able to mod in more. An adamantine cover would be nice.

Now that I think of it, adamantine sheets should be a thing.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:12 pm »

Sheets are made from:

• papyrus
  • pressed cloth plant slurry (ex: pig tail, flax, cotton)
  • parchment, which is made from quicklime and leather

Can you imagine trying to write on such a slippery blue paper that wouldn't even accept your ink? (Adamantine cannot be stained, IIRC.)
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 07:25:07 pm »

Addy writing would be microscopically shallow depressions in the amazingly thin yet amazingly strong material.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 07:26:40 pm »

Addy writing would be microscopically shallow depressions in the amazingly thin yet amazingly strong material.
And amazing difficult to read, let's not forget that.

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:06 pm »

Have we mentioned yet that it would also be a hedonistically extravagant usage of the most rare metal in the world? Or was everybody just taking that for granted? ;)

thriggle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 08:13:46 pm »

Have we mentioned yet that it would also be a hedonistically extravagant usage of the most rare metal in the world? Or was everybody just taking that for granted? ;)
Definitely part of the appeal... Plus it's magma safe, so you can flood the library with magma if you're concerned that a visitor is about to walk off with your signed first edition!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2015, 08:20:02 pm »

Maybe adamantium paper just has bumps indented into it like braile, and only certain senior scholars can read it
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2015, 08:21:23 pm »

The same way making an adamantine non-weapon/armor artifact isn't? :P

Extravagant adamantine use is one of the common traits of baygoers.
Sigtext!

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2015, 10:27:13 pm »

So, is anyone else finding that making paper doesn't leave behind seeds?   I've tried it with both papyrus at the Farmer's Workshop, and ramie at a quern; in both cases I get paper (or mush) out, but no seeds...

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2015, 10:30:18 pm »

Pig tail and rope reed leave seeds when made into slurry.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4